Is it possible to link a saffire pro 40 to another fire wire/focusrite product that's NOT another pro 40. Say something like a 2i2 or something similar. I need 10 ins and the pro40 only has 8 I know you can link 2 pro 40s together but I'm not interested in spending another 500 on 8 inputs when j only need to 2.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
I haven't tried it (I daisy chain two Pro40's) but as far as I understand it - yes, it's perfectly fine to do so. I mean, I've seen people link a Pro40 and one of the OctoPre units, and a Pro40 with a LiquidSaffire 56 so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the smaller units. Would require using the Pro40 as the master device though, and the other unit as the slave, I believe (in other words, one of Pro40's FW ports is connected to computer, and the other is connected to the other device).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Just checked (which you could have Googled, yourself ) and you can't daisy chain the Pro40 with a non-FW unit, e.g. the Scarlett series, but even with one of them you can still create an 'Aggregate Device' so your computer sees both interfaces in your DAW.
No, you really can't.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Just checked (which you could have Googled, yourself ) and you can't daisy chain the Pro40 with a non-FW unit, e.g. the Scarlett series, but even with one of them you can still create an 'Aggregate Device' so your computer sees both interfaces in your DAW.

I tried googling it i wasn't getting any clear answers Idk maybe NY search was poor. How do I go about making another interface "aggregate"
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Well, it depends on whether you're using a Mac or various versions of Windows, and the drivers used if you're on a PC (e.g. I think ASIO4ALL allows you to do it in its control panel or something). I can only tell you how to do it with a Mac, so you'll have to Google "how to create aggregate device for audio interfaces in _____" where the '_____' is your operating system.
Actually new question I can pick up a saffire pro 14 for like 150 ish bucks which isn't too bad can thr pro 40 and pro 14 work togwther?
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
And yes I am using a mac.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Well pretty much answered the question myself. And that is yes you can link up a 40 and a 14. Which is perfect for what I need!
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Yes you can link whatever you want to a saffire pro 40, as long as it either has a firewire output or an ADAT lightpipe output.
Or both...

Firewire devices are daisy-chainable like hell, which is the reasons why the vast majority of them has more than one firewire port.
You could connect a firewire HDD to your saffire if you wanted.

Also thanks to Alesis we can now abuse ADAT lightpipe to connect digital equipment together, and transfer a max of 8ch @ 24/48 or 4ch @ 24/96 per lightpipe channel.

If I was you I'd rather wait a bit and get myself a used octopre to connect via ADAT lightpipe.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Just buy a Behringer ADA8000 for like $150 and you'll get 8 more channels. Wasting money on another Saffire unit for 2 more channel is silly - the Behringer is actually surprisingly great for the price, to the point where the only significant upgrade is nearly 10 times its price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Just buy a Behringer ADA8000 for like $150 and you'll get 8 more channels. Wasting money on another Saffire unit for 2 more channel is silly - the Behringer is actually surprisingly great for the price, to the point where the only significant upgrade is nearly 10 times its price.
If you gotta take this route TS, you may wanna get an ADA8200 instead.
Quote by diabolical
I wonder why the OP doesn't ask Saffire on this????
You mean focusrite?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
If you gotta take this route TS, you may wanna get an ADA8200 instead.

Forgot the new model came out - definitely go with the MIDAS pres over the original.

Honestly, I liked the sound of the ADA8000 better than my Pro 40 on certain instruments (ie: sounded awesome on bass). Of course, I wouldn't use either now, but I also have far better converters and preamps at this point
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com