If my guitar amp has distortion/overdrive already, should i bother getting a distortion/overdrive pedal for it? Will it sound better?
If you like the sound of your amps gain on it's own, but need a littke push to get it there an OD is normally the answer. If you hate your amps gain, a new amp is in order or get a decent distortion pedal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Depends on the amp, pedal, and your preference. The question is far too vague to answer as it is.
Quote by Roc8995
Depends on the amp, pedal, and your preference. The question is far too vague to answer as it is.

I was just wondering if generally do people still get a overdrive/distortion pedal for their amp even when the amp comes with distortion/overdrive.
Quote by Darkn3ss99
I was just wondering if generally do people still get a overdrive/distortion pedal for their amp even when the amp comes with distortion/overdrive.

a lot do, but I like my amps distortion on it's own, I use a tubescreamer as a boost, not a standalone OD. I put my amps gain to just before I like it on leads. Then I use the OD as a clean boost by setting the level to max the gain to 0 and the tone to taste. This pushes the pre amp (of a tube amp) harder and you get a punchier sound, with out the bottom end flub. Most people refer to this as "tightening up you sound". I always have an OD on my pedal board just for this purpose and 99% of the decent musicians do also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah most people get an OD/distortion on top of their amps gain, plenty of people even get multiple overdrives to put in their chain, each serving its own purpose. One of the big reasons to own one is so you can swap from a clean/light dirt sound on your amp straight to crunch or heavy gain tones on the fly. Many people use a pedal just as Robb described, so they can cut above the mix during a solo etc.

Long story short, if you're thinking it's silly to have a distortion/OD when your amp can already produce a good overdriven tone by itself, don't it's just another tool in a guitarists belt to put to work.

Now will it sound better? That's totally dependent on the variables involved, like Colin said. If you put a good pedal in front of a bad amp, chances are it won't improve things much. Put a bad pedal in front of a good amp? That too can produce unfavorable results, though not as bad as the former. It's also dependent on your tastes and your preferences, for instance, a friend of mine really dislikes tubescreamers for their midrange hump, while plenty of guitarists adore tubescreamers and their many clones (myself included). My friend prefers a more transparent OD, like the Timmy. Hope this helps
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
you still never told us what your amp is. nor what genres or budget.

unless i missed it (known to happen on occasion)

the information is practically necessary for a recommendation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, what amp? I normally use a combination of the two, ie a distorted amp pushed with some type of overdrive pedal. But I'm using a good tube amp, it's not how I'd do it on a cheap SS amp. So .... what amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Roc8995

+1

Also the type of tone(s) you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Darkn3ss99

Yes.

High-gain distortion amps like the Peavey 6505+, for example, benefit of having a Tubescreamer-style overdrive in front being used as a booster to tighten up the tone and add some mids.

Another example: my amp has a drive channel, but it sounds too "old-school" for my taste.
So I usually only use its superb clean channel and all my gain comes from my overdrive, fuzz and distortion pedals.

However, if an amp already has the overdrive/distortion tone you seek on its own, I'd say that having a pedal for it is pointless.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112