Hello! I saw this mod and was thinking about attempting it on a junker I have lying around
http://dennishavlena.com/guitoud.htm
However, I just can't seem to find any technical information on the nut specs for a 12 string nut for nylon.
I'd prefer to just save myself the time and get a 12 string nut, nut slotting has proved difficult for me in the past.
the neck width at the nut is 2'' (50mm)
all the 12 string nuts I can find are like 44-48mm
Does anyone have any idea where I might find a nut to fit my specs?
And if I do have to slot, does anyone have any information on the spacing?
I thought getting a 6 string nut and slotting the extras might be easier,
http://www.allparts.com/BN-2201-000-Classical-Guitar-Slotted-Bone-Nut_p_797.html
would the extras strings all just go below the existing string? Then the slot for the high E would go above it I'm guessing?
Thanks!
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
It doesn't matter what steel string nut you get, 6 or 12 string, the slots would still have to be widened for nylon strings. I know of no 12 string nylon strung guitars in production. That doesn't mean there aren't any, I just don't know of any I do know, you aren't going to be running strings on top of one another. But here I may have misinterpreted your post.

As for spacing, I suppose it would be best for you to examine an oud. String excursion will vary though, depending on scale length. (Assuming the scale length changes, but the tuned pitch remains the same).

Godin makes an electric oud. If you could get next to one of those and take some measurements..?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 10, 2014,
I did look at some steel string nuts, and I also couldn't find the width I needed. I don't have problem deepening or widening existing slots, but slotting a blank is a little above my skill level right now.
I mean above & below in relation to how the guitar sits on your lap. i.e. starting with the low E, the additional string would go below it, or in other words, between the low E and the A, not between the Low E and the edge of the neck.
I do own an acoustic oud, but the neck width is not the same.
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Have you consider putting electronics into your oud? That should be easier, and a bit less eccentric(?), of a pursuit.
Quote by Captaincranky
Have you consider putting electronics into your oud? That should be easier, and a bit less eccentric(?), of a pursuit.

You're completely missing the point. The "junker" in question is an acoustic with no electronics. How is that even related?
I'm learning to the play the oud, and it is such a difficult instrument to play. I have no intention of giving up, but the guitar modification I'm doing will be similar enough to what I'm used to, while getting the sound that I want.
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Last edited by Lefty7Stringer at Sep 11, 2014,
Quote by Tony Done
A major prblem I see with this is that the tension of 12 strings on a classical-style guitar will likely pull the bridge off unless you have them very slack, in which case it will be a clunker. You might consider using tailpiece for six of the 12

Oh that's a good idea, thanks!
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
Oh that's a good idea, thanks!

Something else. Does the neck have a truss rod? Hopefully a tailpiece would prevent some of the expected body deformation (but not collapsing of the upper bout), but the neck might bow if it doesn't. I've got a couple of guitars that don't have truss rods, and I'm careful how much string tension I apply to them
I doesn't unfortunately. I was planning on downtuning at least a whole step. And also, in true oud fashion, the guitar will only have 11 strings, as the 6th string is not doubled. and the rest are all unison, so the 4th & 5th strings won't be an octave.
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

I tried my 12er with nylon strings. I tried it first with the nut as it was - just laid the strings on the existing slots - to see how it sounded. It was actually quite good.

The second problem was choosing strings since TTBOMK no-one makes a 12 string set of nylon strings. Obviously the main set is no problem - I used a set of La Bella 850W high tension strings with a wound 3rd. I then had to use single strings for the octaves and that was not very satisfactory.

I ended up leaving the main nylon strings on (I widened the nut slots a tad for the 1st and 2nd strings) and using steel / nickel-steel strings for the octaves. To get a similar tension to the nylons I used: 9 11 8 10 14 20w.

I kept the guitar strung that way for a few years but I've now returned to all steel strings.

Here are a couple of pics: