Poll: single coils or humbucker?
Poll Options
View poll results: single coils or humbucker?
Set of basic wired single coils of your choice?
4 20%
Set of basic wired humbuckers of your choice?
16 80%
Voters: 20.
My last few attempts at this have been shutdown.
It is a very simple question I am asking. If you had the choice to pick one style of pickup to live with for the rest of your life (meaning you cant alter them in anyway e.g splitting bucker, coil tapping, in/out phase.) which pickup style would you choose, humbuckers or single coils?

I apologize if I have seemed rude or if the question was to general. To be quite honest I am looking for a general answer. Do you like chimey single coils, or are you a fan of crunchy high output buckers?

Thanks.

Moderators: Not for nothing, you guys cant get me not to love you!
its really a bad question. its like "ok i am going to cook some roast and all i have to eat it to is a spoon. or "here is some ice cream but you only get a knife."

different things totally different applications.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
humbuckers

but i agree with trashed- you're enforcing qualifications and caveats which don't need to be enforced in the real world
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I choose both. You're not the boss of me, I can buy as many pickups as I want.

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its really a bad question. its like "ok i am going to cook some roast and all i have to eat it to is a spoon. or "here is some ice cream but you only get a knife."

Humor me.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

That.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
So, if you only had a roast and you could only use chop sticks or a spoon, which would you use? geez..... its not a hard question.
Don't get all technical with me.... ok, the world is about to be thrown into nuclear winter... Following me? There are two guitar stands. On one sits a shiny les paul standard set up with standard wiring humbuckers. The next is a Fender strat standard set up with standard wired single coils. Your hands are full you could only physically carry one. Most of the guitars in the world will more than likely be destroyed. Which one would you take with you to the bomb shelter?
Just arguing with me and saying yadda yadda, but what if, this is a silly question, is very counter-productive. It might be a silly question, but its a question non the less.

Thanks.
Quote by Dr.shred 801
ok, the world is about to be thrown into nuclear winter... Following me? There are two guitar stands. On one sits a shiny les paul standard set up with standard wiring humbuckers. The next is a Fender strat standard set up with standard wired single coils. Your hands are full you could only physically carry one. Most of the guitars in the world will more than likely be destroyed. Which one would you take with you to the bomb shelter?

In that case I wouldn't go into the shelter. A world where I can't have those two guitars isn't a world worth surviving for.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
The question isn't simple.

I prefer humbuckers for certain sounds and singles for other sounds. I can't say I like one better than the other all the time because it just isn't true.

You need a situation, and something more than just 'u hav 2 guitars choose 1 lol!' It would have to be like "what would you prefer to use if you were a gigging musician playing a wide variety of styles?" or "What would you prefer in a blues/rock situation etc..." Otherwise there's no point answering the question. It doesn't answer anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
So basically you're asking people if they generally prefer humbuckers or single coils? Is that it? Maybe that would be a better way to put the question? In which case it seems obvious that your poll requires a 3rd option, which would be "I like and/or need both". Without that third question I'm afraid your poll is deeply flawed, because most likely the overwhelming majority of guitarists would say both... The way it's worded you're artificially skewing the results... It's like polling voters at the booths asking if they're going to vote for x or y when there's also a candidate z whom you don't mention in your poll...
I'll go against the mould of what everyone else has said and answer that if I had to have only one, I'd take single coils. I much prefer single coils, even though humbuckers are more suitable for some of my purposes. I just use single coils more.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Sep 11, 2014,
I think its a pretty simple question.
I would go with humbuckers, single coils are awesome but I don't use them as much.
I'm a Gibson guy, so probably humbuckers....

However, if I had to choose something that I had to use for everything and could never use anything else, I'd get one of these:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Vox_HDC_77_Electric_Guitar_Review

Single coil, P90s and Humbuckers all in one.

/thread.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Dr.shred 801
Don't get all technical with me.... ok, the world is about to be thrown into nuclear winter... Following me? There are two guitar stands. On one sits a shiny les paul standard set up with standard wiring humbuckers. The next is a Fender strat standard set up with standard wired single coils. Your hands are full you could only physically carry one. Most of the guitars in the world will more than likely be destroyed. Which one would you take with you to the bomb shelter?
Just arguing with me and saying yadda yadda, but what if, this is a silly question, is very counter-productive. It might be a silly question, but its a question non the less.

Thanks.

In an end of the world situation, I'm grabbing my AR15 and leaving the guitars. With the AR, I'll be able to get a guitar somewhere/ somehow. If I was niave enough to take the guitar, someone with an AR might relieve me of it.
Humbuckers are just warmer to me, but it all depends on your style. I play mostly punk rock and grungy sounding stuff where I play a lot of chunky power chords so the humbuckers work better for me. If you decide on humbuckers, get a guitar with strictly 2 humbuckers. If you decide to get a single coil guitar, get a guitar with 2-3 single coils. Hybrid guitars in my mind are garbage.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Last edited by NewDayHappy at Sep 11, 2014,
Quote by chrismendiola
I almost said HBs with coil splits, but I thought that'd be cheating.

If you're going to cheat, do it properly
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
if there was a nuclear winter then I'm thinking the guitar would be used for fire. not sure if singles of humbuckers would provide more heat.
/thread.

That's a sweet axe. Best of both worlds eh Thanks for the vote dude. As I stated, I love both, it would not be an easy decision but I love me single coils

Quote by chrismendiola
I almost said HBs with coil splits, but I thought that'd be cheating.

CHEATER!!! hahaha... Tha would be the easy answer!

Quote by Jeffh40
In an end of the world situation, I'm grabbing my AR15 and leaving the guitars. With the AR, I'll be able to get a guitar somewhere/ somehow. If I was niave enough to take the guitar, someone with an AR might relieve me of it.

Remember, I said your other hand is full... Bug out bag and an AK and all your other SHTF goodies!! Come on dude, AK is a much simpler weapon to take care of!

Quote by NewDayHappy
Humbuckers are just warmer to me, but it all depends on your style. I play mostly punk rock and grungy sounding stuff where I play a lot of chunky power chords so the humbuckers work better for me. If you decide on humbuckers, get a guitar with strictly 2 humbuckers. If you decide to get a single coil guitar, get a guitar with 2-3 single coils. Hybrid guitars in my mind are garbage.

I am kind of a purist that way as well, though I have found a bucker in the bridge of a strat is a nice compromise sometimes!

Quote by monwobobbo
if there was a nuclear winter then I'm thinking the guitar would be used for fire. not sure if singles of humbuckers would provide more heat.

DUDE! BLASPHEMOUS! YOU ARE THE LAST HUMAN TO KEEP THE GUITAR CULTURE ALIVE!!!! BURN AND EAT YOUR DOG FIRST!
Quote by JGM258
I think its a pretty simple question.
I would go with humbuckers, single coils are awesome but I don't use them as much.

Agreed, simple question. Haters gon hate!
Quote by JackovSlayer
Humbuckers. **** single coils, I play metal.

Nuclear winter tried to kill the metal!

It failed, as it was stricken to the ground!
Quote by chrismendiola
I'll go against the mould of what everyone else has said and answer that if I had to have only one, I'd take single coils. I much prefer single coils, even though humbuckers are more suitable for some of my purposes. I just use single coils more.

Way to break the mould broseph! Nobody likes mold!
Last edited by Dr.shred 801 at Sep 13, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
I choose both. You're not the boss of me, I can buy as many pickups as I want.

Anyone else think that picture is annoying as sh*t?
Quote by Dave_Mc
humbuckers

but i agree with trashed- you're enforcing qualifications and caveats which don't need to be enforced in the real world

At least you picked one, and for that, I thank you.