this is just kind of stupid, but a read it a lot and different people are seeming to use it differently. would saturated be the opposite? wet (reverb/delau).

just wanted to clear that up for myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not really because saturated is a term we already use for something else. ie. really distorted. Wet/dry is used when referring to effect level generally, the term saturated is already taken by something specific.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Not really because saturated is a term we already use for something else. ie. really distorted. Wet/dry is used when referring to effect level generally, the term saturated is already taken by something specific.

i am not thinking its a wet dry effects i am wondering "this is a dry amp" what is it like, sounds stupid and pointless, but i just don't know.

thanks cath.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
subjective drivel, not a clear definition.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well, in that case, maybe. When people say "dry amp" I think, really low THD. ie no colouring through distortion. And let's call a spade a spade - warmth is subtle distortion of the signal. Which would be consistent with the term "saturated." Saturated is high gain like the hot channel on a Mesa Mark.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i am familiar with my MKIV. and know what you mean with that being saturated.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
This is an interesting subject because I know exactly what you're talking about, and I know what I want to say to you, but I don't know the words to really say it. Which I think is the point of this thread, no? It's very hard to describe this stuff.

But basically yeah it's like you said, a lack of reverb makes something dry. And FX aside, a lot of amps seem to sound reverberous on their own, whereas some don't and are noticeable for it.

I think it can also be achieved/described by a lack of bass - more bass makes a tone sound more wet (a better word for this descriptor I think would be juicy).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This is an interesting subject because I know exactly what you're talking about, and I know what I want to say to you, but I don't know the words to really say it. Which I think is the point of this thread, no? It's very hard to describe this stuff.

But basically yeah it's like you said, a lack of reverb makes something dry. And FX aside, a lot of amps seem to sound reverberous on their own, whereas some don't and are noticeable for it.

I think it can also be achieved/described by a lack of bass - more bass makes a tone sound more wet (a better word for this descriptor I think would be juicy).

yea the point is, "your amp sounds dry" some call my Sig:X dry i don't get what they are thinking

i think the MKIV being saturated and can grasp that,

but "dry"just an odd seemingly ambiguous with a broad use and people may not be saying it for the same description.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
When I hear "dry amp" I think things like Roland JC120, Yamaha G100, etc. ie, clean and clear with very little colouring.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
When I hear "dry amp" I think things like Roland JC120, Yamaha G100, etc. ie, clean and clear with very little colouring.

i would agree that the JC is what is so far established would be considered dry.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
JC120 is sterile. I don't like it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
To me, "dry" just means straight from guitar to amp. Or maybe, just plain no effects. He may have meant "crisp". Usually when things are crispy, they're dry. Eh?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
To me, "dry" just means straight from guitar to amp. Or maybe, just plain no effects. He may have meant "crisp". Usually when things are crispy, they're dry. Eh?

champagne is considered as well IMO. not that Moscato my wife likes. Too damn sweet.

thank you all I think I have more of a general idea
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've used it in my own mind to describe an amp that is distorted, but it is tight, lacks saturation and would make all of my horribly sloppy technique shine through.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by trashedlostfdup
champagne is considered as well IMO. not that Moscato my wife likes. Too damn sweet.

thank you all I think I have more of a general idea

I'm sure the Sig X is plenty sweet.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lemurflames
I've used it in my own mind to describe an amp that is distorted, but it is tight, lacks saturation and would make all of my horribly sloppy technique shine through.

that is the perfect way to describe My kt88 splawns.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
fryette/vht was always described as sounding "dry". dunno if that's BS or not
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've always thought it too be a not so overly saturated, very articulate amp. Like someone previously said, an amp that is very articulate and is unforgiving. It makes you a better player because you don't get away with much. At least that's what I've always thought. I've heard the carvin Legacy is supposed to be a pretty dry amp and I thought is way articulate and unforgiving. Just my two cents.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
If I heard someone describe an amp as "dry," I'd think they were saying the amp was very sterile and/or super clear to the point where low end is insanely tight and there's not a lot of exciting qualities to the tone.

I've actually heard lots of people describe Fryette/VHT amps as "dry," but I don't really understand their definition, because the only thing I'd describe as "dry" in the Fryettes I've played or owned is the cleans on some of them I'd say, the few amps I've played that I'd personally describe as "dry" are the Diezel VH4 and Mesa Mark IV, as well as the obvious Roland JC120, but I think "dry" is a common term I'd use for most solid state amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think dry is a completely different description from sterile. But as everything else when it comes to tone, its very hard to describe in words and those words are up for interpretation. I've never considered dry to describe a bad quality in tone, always thought it described the articulation and note separation.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I'm in the process of building an entirely new rig, and this type of rig is often referred to as a wet/dry rig, and in that particular case the definitions mean the following:

dry = sound of the guitar direct into the amp, or boosted for lead tones
wet = the sound of just the reverb, the modulated signal for chorus/flanger etc, echoes from a delay effect, with no dry sound present in the signal.

But I also use the term "dry" to refer to a very un-coloured sound with a very flat frequency curve. For example the speakers in the Roland JC-120 - they seem to lack the high frequency roll-off and upper-midrange spike that lots of conventional guitar speakers have. But that's because the JC-120 was originally meant for keyboards, probably designed to amplify Roland's Juno synths or something.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by bluestratplayer
I think dry is a completely different description from sterile. But as everything else when it comes to tone, its very hard to describe in words and those words are up for interpretation. I've never considered dry to describe a bad quality in tone, always thought it described the articulation and note separation.

Every amp I've ever played that had tons of articulation and note separation was very sterile sounding in comparison to others. Probably why I've given up on finding an amp that is super articulate, cause they have no redeeming qualities of tone that I find exciting to listen to
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
To me a 5150/6505 sounds incredibly dry. It's like the polar opposite of a super liquidy Recto. For whatever reason, that's just what my mind jumps to for "dry"
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by chrismendiola
Someone really ought to standardise guitar nomenclature.

no shit, right? it's almost like everyone has a different idea of what these qualitative descriptions mean, rendering it pretty useless.

i think my drink has a fruity nose, with hints of lavander, mint and dark chocolate hiding behind it's bold charred oak barrel finish and finishes with a pleasantly spicy black pepper taste. at least that has descriptions you can relate to with previous experiences, something you have experienced before and gives you an idea of what to expect.

if i said the drink was dark smelling, with a loud but pink flavor behind a rough texture and finishes with a tintinnabulation then that might form ideas in your head but the idea would be completely different for one person as it would be for another. making the description highly subjective and not very useful to convey an experience (unless you both share a common experience of synesthesia, and even someone else with synesthesia would probably insist the texture was more sticky and the color was more blue).

this is why i think calling an amp 'dry' is not an overly useful way to describe and amp's tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 11, 2014,
When I use it, I mean it's got a quick response and not a lot of give/compression.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I know what you are talking about trashedlostfdup.

Wet

Dry

I always associated Dry with articulate and note separation and Wet as 'overly' saturated or liquid like - like your Mark.

Not saying that is right or wrong, just how I associate. Conversely, I can make my Splawn more wet sounding and the Rectoverb more dry

Quote by bluestratplayer

+1....That's what I was thiking

Quote by Blompcube
I'm in the process of building an entirely new rig, and this type of rig is often referred to as a wet/dry rig, and in that particular case the definitions mean the following:

dry = sound of the guitar direct into the amp, or boosted for lead tones
wet = the sound of just the reverb, the modulated signal for chorus/flanger etc, echoes from a delay effect, with no dry sound present in the signal.

But I also use the term "dry" to refer to a very un-coloured sound with a very flat frequency curve. For example the speakers in the Roland JC-120 - they seem to lack the high frequency roll-off and upper-midrange spike that lots of conventional guitar speakers have. But that's because the JC-120 was originally meant for keyboards, probably designed to amplify Roland's Juno synths or something.

Blompcube - in these examples we are referring to how the distortion of the amp sounds and how it reacts to your picking etc. I think.

What you are referring to is FX loops and a live sound no? In that case you are dead on. Dry = mono signal guitar>amp no treatment. Wet = effects, loops, stereo, etc etc

Quote by chrismendiola
Someone really ought to standardise guitar nomenclature.

I know right

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305901

(dry and wet are not in here)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Blompcube - in these examples we are referring to how the distortion of the amp sounds and how it reacts to your picking etc. I think.

What you are referring to is FX loops and a live sound no? In that case you are dead on. Dry = mono signal guitar>amp no treatment. Wet = effects, loops, stereo, etc etc

Yeah, kinda. I was referring to a stereo rig that separates the basic guitar into amp sound from the modulated and delayed signals.

I've never really heard the term dry to describe the character of the distortion before but I think I understand. Dry = tight and punchy, Wet = soft and 'saggy' (as in tube sag)? Too many different definitions for the same term for me to comprehend now though
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^right

I don't think it is an easy thing to nail down.

For example, I consider my Mesa to be very tight and punchy but it is still not 'dry' like the Quick Rod. Compressed is probably a better word to use to describe the Mesa. Conversely, I don't consider my Mesa to be soft and saggy either even though I consider it much more 'wet' than a Splawn.

PS: I don't think we are talking about tube sag. We are talking about the how the amp circuit is designed and how it interacts with your guitar/pups and more importantly, your pick attack.

As mentioned, another way to look at it is that a Dry amp will show all of your mistakes and weaknesses. Articulate and percussive is how I'd describe it. Uncompressed, open and with note definition on a higher order than its peers. That's how I would define 'dry'.

To me, a Wet amp can still be percussive and 'tight' but will be more compressed, slightly less definition, more saturated, and therefore - more forgiving.

Probably why I like playing my Rectoverb so much

Derek (trashedlostfdup) has Splawns, a Mark, a Sig-X and a bunch of other stuff so he should be telling us what is what

But seriously Derek, does what I say make sense?
I've heard people use the term "dry" to describe an amp but never "wet." "Saturated," yes, but never "wet"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification