i am looking to buy my first seven string and i have narrowed down my selection to these 2. can anyone help me decide. Or if they have a better suggestion for under £500 (811 USD)
Last edited by hoopertrystan at Sep 11, 2014,
whats the hoopla about 7 string guitars?
is it just for shredding and solos?
Is the extra string on the top, (high) or bottom (low)? is the extra string an A string or an B string?
Can you still play bar chords with one?
7 strings provide a wider variety due to the added lower string, however u can tune it from ways like B E A D G B E or AEADGBE or people can tune it like EADGBEA (from what ive read.)
Quote by ken styles
whats the hoopla about 7 string guitars?
is it just for shredding and solos?
Is the extra string on the top, (high) or bottom (low)? is the extra string an A string or an B string?
Can you still play bar chords with one?

Not really any "hoopla". More strings = more range. That's all there is to it. These days, extended range guitars (7+ strings) are most commonly known in heavy metal, just because they let you play lower notes without losing string tension by down-tuning a 6 string crazy low, but that's not all that they're for. Jazz players have used 7 string guitars since before anyone on this site was born (probably. there might be some serious old-timers around here). And there have been experimental musicians using guitars with as many as 10-15 or even more strings, for all sorts of weird psychadelic stuff for decades.

To answer the other specifics, the extra string is a low B, in standard tuning. But of course, you can do whatever you want with it, provided you use string gauges that allow for it. I've known plenty of people who swap out the strings to use a 7 string in E standard, with an extra high A. And bar chords? Sure. No reason you couldn't. Chord structures are dependent on tuning, not string count.

On topic: TC, at that price range, I'd recommend the Omen 7. Ibanez makes some great guitars, but in my experience, I think that Schecter really can't be beat in the lower-end price ranges. I'd also say avoid buying online unless you absolutely have to. Go to a local store, try out the guitars personally, pick which one you like more, and buy the actual guitar you played in the store, not a random one from a warehouse.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Sep 11, 2014,
Your market must be a trip if you're comparing those. They aren't even in the same league - the Ibanez is objectively better. The Omen will sound like shit, especially on the low string with those stock Schecter pickups. The Ibanez has EMGs. Enough said there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Right now Andertons have a sale on last year's Schecters. You can get a Damien Elite 7 for £399 (down from £550), which is an upgrade on the Omen.
Ibanez, no question.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Offworld92
Your market must be a trip if you're comparing those. They aren't even in the same league - the Ibanez is objectively better. The Omen will sound like shit, especially on the low string with those stock Schecter pickups. The Ibanez has EMGs. Enough said there.

That's true. TC, when I recommended the Schecter, I didn't even bother looking at which Ibanez you were talking about. I assumed it was one in the same price range as the Omen, and if that were the case, I'd stand by the Omen suggestion. But now that I think of it, I have heard before that Schecter's prices in Europe are strangely inflated compared to the US. Here, that Ibanez is literally double the price of Schecter's Omen-7. Looking at Schecter's, you should be able to get a Damien Platinum or a Blackjack in that price range.
Quote by MegadethFan18
Right now Andertons have a sale on last year's Schecters. You can get a Damien Elite 7 for £399 (down from £550), which is an upgrade on the Omen.

For sure. It's still got a bolt on neck, but it's got much better pickups, and bridge, and tuners. Plus, if it's last year's Damien Elite, it's got cooler fretboard inlays than this year's version.