So I'm starting a metal band based around Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Slayer, Pantera, Amon Amarth, and Motionless White. (Well basically more of a Heavy Metal/Trash Metal Sound) I wanted to know what would be a good pedalboard setup? Like what pedals would I need? Not particular a set of brands but type of pedals. I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for the distortion. I was thinking of using a Wah Wah pedal, some sort of Overdrive Pedal, and Equalizer, Chorus, Reverb, and Phaser. Anything to add? Or take out? Note that I'm starting off with a Orange Dark Terror amp head.
Well do you like your sound now? If you don't, what do you feel your missing?

If you can't answer those questions then you probably don't need any of them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
wouldn't you just use the dark terror's distortion (maybe with an od pedal as a boost up-front) instead of the mt2?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wouldn't you just use the dark terror's distortion (maybe with an od pedal as a boost up-front) instead of the mt2?

That too. I'd say the gain channel and a boost in the front end would probably sound better than the metal zone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Step 1: Stop using your metal zone. Your amp at like 9/10 gain is a far better metal distortion sound.

Step 2: Keep it simple. Don't go overboard. A wah is always useful, especially if you're going to be playing lead. Personally, I like just a teeny bit of chorus on a distorted lead tone, as well. Chorus also sounds great for clean tones in a metal song. Same with reverb. You may also want a boost pedal of some kind, just to beef up the Dark Terror's tone even more for solos.
Well do you like your sound now? If you don't, what do you feel your missing?
This ^^

If you're wanting to improve your distortion you should look at overdrive (for use w your amp, not the MT-2), EQ and noise gate pedals.

If you're after more colour, tricks and/or flexibility for other sounds I'd start with wah, chorus and delay, wrt the bands you've listed.
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Quote by DeltaPunch
So I'm starting a metal band based around Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Slayer, Pantera, Amon Amarth, and Motionless White. (Well basically more of a Heavy Metal/Trash Metal Sound) I wanted to know what would be a good pedalboard setup? Like what pedals would I need? Not particular a set of brands but type of pedals. I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for the distortion. I was thinking of using a Wah Wah pedal, some sort of Overdrive Pedal, and Equalizer, Chorus, Reverb, and Phaser. Anything to add? Or take out? Note that I'm starting off with a Orange Dark Terror amp head.

I'll give you the advice someone should have given me when I started - save all your money and buy an amazing amp. Professional bands use the amp to get their distortion - not a pedal. Metal Zone is a dead end - it creates the illusion of decent tone at lower volumes, but it's a terrible sound at louder volumes and no one actually uses it to record. If you need to use the Metal Zone to get a good tone out of the Dark Terror - then the amp has to go.

Save your money and buy a great amp, like a Mesa Boogie or another good heavy tube amp, you won't need any distortion or EQ or Reverb pedals since its all covered in the amp. Start there. Once you have a good amp you add pedals like a delay or chorus etc.

Honestly, I spent years and wasted countless dollars adding pedals to substandard amps and the minute I actually got a really good amp all of a sudden I had a professional sound by simply plugging in. Unfortunately, good amps are expensive.
Last edited by reverb66 at Sep 12, 2014,
Quote by reverb66
(a) I'll give you the advice someone should have given me when I started - save all your money and buy an amazing amp. (b) Professional bands use the amp to get their distortion - not a pedal.

(c) Honestly, I spent years and wasted countless dollars adding pedals to substandard amps and the minute I actually got a really good amp all of a sudden I had a professional sound by simply plugging in. (d) Unfortunately, good amps are expensive.

(a) Agreed- or at least a good one. Sounds like he has a good one, though, so

(b) That's not true, plenty of pro players use pedals all the time. However, (i) those pedals are normally plugged into the good/amazing amps you mentioned and (ii) it depends on the type of tones you want, most metal bands (I think) tend to use high gain tube amp distortion (often boosted with an OD pedal).

(c) haha same here

(d) good (high gain) amps are coming down in price, though. in europe jet cities are crazy good value. you can get a killer halfstack for £400. Not exactly cheap but not anywhere near the price of a mesa/diezel/soldano/fryette/bogner/etc. halfstack either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?