Hello all!

This is my first post on UG so let me know if I'm in the wrong forum section.

Okay, so I have a few question regarding guitar effects.
I want to be able to sound like bands such as Tool and Five Finger Death Punch.

For distortion effects, do I need an amplifier that supports "gain" or will an effects pedal (such as a "stompbox") work? I just have a standard amp that has tone and bass. So should I buy another amp or just a pedal?

What kinds of effects pedals are there? What should I look into getting if I want to sound like the aforementioned artists?

Thanks in advance for any help.
If you don't have the money for an amp, get a distortion pedal, and one with 3 bands (ideally something like a hardwire TL-2 or a MXR Super Badass). It will cause distortion regardless of what amp you stick it in. If you dou have the money: get an amp.

For an fx pedal, you should get a line 6 m5, pretty cheap and has many options. You can dink around with that until you figure out what specific tones for those bands you want. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on this site that tells you what each effect does in general, should be a sticky if I'm not mistaken. If not, youtube the various effects on youtube to get an idea of general sounds of the effects (do this before buying). In general you have modulation (phaser, chorus, flanger), delay (repeats signal), reverb, wah/filters (makes it sound like your guitar says "wah"; best way I can put it).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
So distortion and effects come separately? Or is there something that includes both?

Also, what's the difference between distortion from an amp or from a pedal?
Depends^ if you have a modelling amp then the distortion settings will be modeled after actual amps. If you just have cheap digital amp with a "gain" knob then yeah, it's no different from a stompbox.

Your best bet is to somehow obtain a DAW and use amp VSTs. I've used many distortion pedals and trust me, you will not be satisfied with the sound they make. Most amp sims come pretty goddamn close to the real thing. But this is only legible if you record.

Whats your budget?
So distortion and effects come separately?

Distortion is often used to refer to high-gain signal. That being said, anything that increase the amount of gain of your signal will help you achieve distortion. You may or may not need a distortion pedal depending of the amount of gain you want to get and what amount of gain your amp may already provide.

As for the other effects, some are able to drastically modify your signal. I suggest you check out proguitarshop.com under the "Effect" tab. You'll find there all kind of effects and many videos so you can hear what's out there. Or get yourself a multi-fx and you'll have a whole lot of fun. Any is good enough just pick the cheapest.
Last edited by Taz9 at Sep 11, 2014,
Quote by archenemyfan

I've used many distortion pedals and trust me, you will not be satisfied with the sound they make.

Well that's not true. I mainly 3 drives- amp, Proco Rat & Big Muff. Two of those are pedals, and they sound awesome.
what amp do you have?

(you're in the right forum, don't worry. welcome, by the way )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a rather crappy amp lol. It's an Esteban G-10 and doesn't even have a gain knob.

And I'm not necessarily operating on a budget, but I'd rather not spend over $150 on something. For amps, stompboxes, pedals, etc. should I only look into buying new equipment, or will used ones (like from Ebay or Craigslist) be okay?
For 150$ you could buy a Peavy Vypr and be more than happy with it.

Yea just got my hand on one two days ago. Really nice little amp. I'd suggest you that rather than any pedal.
Quote by Toolshead
I have a rather crappy amp lol. It's an Esteban G-10 and doesn't even have a gain knob.

And I'm not necessarily operating on a budget, but I'd rather not spend over $150 on something. For amps, stompboxes, pedals, etc. should I only look into buying new equipment, or will used ones (like from Ebay or Craigslist) be okay?

thanks

it's really impossible to say regarding ebay. most people on here buy on ebay and the like and are ok, but you really have to judge each case on its own merits, just because one person bought safely through ebay doesn't mean your purchase will go smoothly.

and yeah if you don't want to change your amp you'll probably need a pedal for distortion (I'm assuming the amp you have is a solid state amp, not tube).

just be careful though because, if your amp's not great, pedals can be a money sink. they don't really cure the original problem (bad amp) and the amount you can spend on them before you realise that could often just buy you a good amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think I'm going to follow archenemyfan's idea and get a Peavey Vypyr. I looked into them and they look really good. I have a few questions about them though.

Should I get a regular Vypyr or a VIP (the former has been discontinued, but I could still get one)?
Is the amp solid-state or tube? I heard that tube amps sound much better, are louder, but cost more.
What sort of wattage should I look into? They come in sizes of 15, 30, 60, etc. I only play guitar recreationally so I don't need anything too loud. Would 30w be good?
Finally, should I look into getting the Sanpera 1 or 2 to go with the amp?

Thanks again guys. I'm really new to all this stuff so I find it rather confusing lol.
Quote by Toolshead
I think I'm going to follow archenemyfan's idea and get a Peavey Vypyr. I looked into them and they look really good. I have a few questions about them though.

Should I get a regular Vypyr or a VIP (the former has been discontinued, but I could still get one)?
Is the amp solid-state or tube? I heard that tube amps sound much better, are louder, but cost more.
What sort of wattage should I look into? They come in sizes of 15, 30, 60, etc. I only play guitar recreationally so I don't need anything too loud. Would 30w be good?
Finally, should I look into getting the Sanpera 1 or 2 to go with the amp?

Thanks again guys. I'm really new to all this stuff so I find it rather confusing lol.

Go for the VIP, the noise gate on it is better than the one on the old Vypyr.

It's a solid state but the amp models, especially the high gain ones, sound pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJk-4cgyxE

Honestly if it's just for practicing the 15w should be fine. Having said that though I would still go for the 30w model just to have some peace of mind.

And don't get the Sanpera, it's a waste of money.
Last edited by archenemyfan at Sep 13, 2014,
Alright so I've decided I'm going with the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. It's incredible how many features it comes with, especially for the price. It's only 20w but I think that's plenty for me.

I just have one last question. Is there a big difference between buying new and used? I don't mind paying $130 or so, but if I could get it cheaper for about the same quality then I'd rather do that.
Don't get the VIP1 or Vypyr 15. They have small 8" speakers, which means they have a lack of bass response, they can sound harsh and tinny - you'll get tired of the sound and want something better soon. 12" is the standard guitar speaker size, meaning if you want to you could upgrade the speaker in the future to something else good (though the stock speakers that come with the Vypyr do work well with it). The VIP-2 and Vypyr 30 both have 12" speakers.

Lastly, the Sanpera II is expensive, but it is not a waste of money - it lets you use the looper, which is invaluable for practice, as well as basically let you set up your FX like stompboxes, and of course change channels/patches.

Go used, spending less is a good thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Don't get the VIP1 or Vypyr 15. They have small 8" speakers, which means they have a lack of bass response, they can sound harsh and tinny - you'll get tired of the sound and want something better soon. 12" is the standard guitar speaker size, meaning if you want to you could upgrade the speaker in the future to something else good (though the stock speakers that come with the Vypyr do work well with it). The VIP-2 and Vypyr 30 both have 12" speakers.

Lastly, the Sanpera II is expensive, but it is not a waste of money - it lets you use the looper, which is invaluable for practice, as well as basically let you set up your FX like stompboxes, and of course change channels/patches.

Go used, spending less is a good thing.

Agreed on the speakers, but I just dont see how the Sanpera isn't waste of money at 115$. If OP is willing to spend upto ~ 300$ on gear he might as well buy a better amp
Well what exactly does the Sanpera do? I was under the impression it was just a "remote" to control the amp settings/effects.

But other pedals/stompboxes (I don't know the difference lol) will be able to work with the amp too right?
Quote by archenemyfan
Agreed on the speakers, but I just dont see how the Sanpera isn't waste of money at 115$. If OP is willing to spend upto ~ 300$ on gear he might as well buy a better amp

$300 isn't going to get you a better amp. Maybe if you're into tiny tube amps and want that vintage breakup, but other than that... yeah.

Quote by Toolshead
Well what exactly does the Sanpera do? I was under the impression it was just a "remote" to control the amp settings/effects.

But other pedals/stompboxes (I don't know the difference lol) will be able to work with the amp too right?

Sanpera II is a wah expression, volume expression, looper, and acts as a potential manual mode for your FX (if you want to use it that way) or just a patch changer.

You can use pedals just fine with the Vypyr, it's all analog from start to finish (besides the digital FX, which you can easily disable). There's not really any reason to use pedals with the Vypyr though, that kind of defeats the point of the concept (totally self contained all in one amp).

I've owned quite a few of them and have a lot of experience with them, btw. I've owned the 15, 75, Tube 120H, and the VIP-3, as well as the Sanpera II. I don't have any anymore as I have POD HDs now and I'm happier with what they can do for me. But I should be able to answer any other kind of questions you have about the Vypyrs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 14, 2014,