I'm new to guitars and I picked up a MII bullet yesterday from amazon. Got to inspecting it today and the action was really high the neck was bowed I believe. So I tried tightening the truss rod to help straighten it out but that didn't seem to work. I loosened the rod and took the strings it came with off and the neck still bows up a bit. Here's a few pics of the bow. I really like the look of the guitar but if the neck is messed up I'll have to return it. Right now it's stringless and still bowing
Quote by ChanceCA
I can't attach pictures because they're too large

Just to clarify the neck has concave or a slight u to it.
I restrung the guitar and tightened the nut for the truss rod and it looks straighter. I think the issue was me. I didn't tighten it enough with the stock strings. How tight is too tight on the nut? It took two fingers with some torque to start to see it straighten
You're new to guitars and you started tightening the truss rods...have you read up on adjusting the neck? From the sounds of it you're doing everything wrong. Two biggest issue
1. You check for neck bow by measuring, not looking although a very badly bowed neck will still be visible. But your guitar strings are the best/simplest way to do it. Press the first and last frets of the guitar to check for neck straightness.
2. Never turn the truss rod more than a quarter(or even less) at a time and always leave some time (half an hour maybe more) between adjusting.

If what I just said to you are new concepts to you, stop right now and either read up on guitar set-up a lot or take it to a tech.
I did read up on it but the guides I had read didn't flat out say not to do more then 1/4 either way at once. Right now the truss is probably as tight as it should go and the neck seems straight if I lay a ruler from 1st to 12th fret it looks like it touches each fret. If it is fully tightened should I loosen 1/4th turn?

The guitar is stringed and in standard tuned again. Open strings play with no buzz chords seem buzz free but sometimes I mess up I'm new

I don't have a bunch of money so a full setup from a expensive tech is out of my budget plus I don't know if there's any reputable techs in my area
Last edited by ChanceCA at Sep 12, 2014,
Quote by ChanceCA
I did read up on it but the guides I had read didn't flat out say not to do more then 1/4 either way at once. Right now the truss is probably as tight as it should go and the neck seems straight if I lay a ruler from 1st to 12th fret it looks like it touches each fret. If it is fully tightened should I loosen 1/4th turn?

The guitar is stringed and in standard tuned again. Open strings play with no buzz chords seem buzz free but sometimes I mess up I'm new

I don't have a bunch of money so a full setup from a expensive tech is out of my budget plus I don't know if there's any reputable techs in my area

I'd definitely take the guitar to a tech.

A setup shouldn't be too expensive. Some stores even do a setup for free if you buy a pack of strings and ask them to put them on.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'm not expert but I think there is supposed to be a very slight bow in the neck.
If you press on either the high E or low e on the first fret and then hold down the same string at the last fret...there should be a little bit of play around the 10-12th fret. A very tiny amount of travel. some say about the with of 3-4 computer papers stacked together.

There are videos on youtube but I would take it to a guitar shop for a proper set up.
It will be worth it in the long run instead of playing a guitar that is stressing you out due to various problems.
Read this.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/how_to_setup_an_electric_guitar.html

You don't have to be that exact but personally, I don't like messing around with the truss rods unless I have to. You can permanently damage the neck if not done properly though if you know what you're doing then there's not much to worry about. But yeah, definitely only turn a bit at a time when adjusting truss rods. Also, to check neck straightness, press the first and last fret and there should be just a bit of space between the string and the frets (for 22 frets guitar I look at the 11th fret). You should be able to pluck the string when pressed but the space should be small enough that you have to really look to see it. And you should check both the low and high E strings.

But I honestly think you should take it to a tech or a store and get a basic setup. You don't need to go to the best for a basic setup, pretty much any regular guitar store should do really.
I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been covered. Tighten the nut in stages, a bit at time over a period of a few days. I would also take off the truss rod nut and washer and lubricate them with a little petroleum jelly.

If this doesn't fix it, take it to a tech.