aite guys hey i hope you are having a nice day (or night) so im on a decision of buying some new pick ups for my guitar, its either some emg 81 and 85s or get the seymour duncan full shred set or the invader sh8 anyone know which are best for playing style? i mostly play nu metal, i love doing my pinch harmonics but i also play a lot of thrash and ozzy osbourne music (since randy is my guitar hero), also, which sound good on solos? thanks guys
Haven't tried the Invader so I really can't comment on that .. other than to say those other two choices are quite excellent options and you'll be stoked with either for what you want to achieve.

Personally I'd go with the Full Shreds for a bit more overall versatility, they'll get you a smidge closer to Randy's sound than the EMGs and they're not being used by every second bastard out there. And they absolutely crank!
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Last edited by Danustar at Sep 12, 2014,
None of the above, especially if you want to get Randy Rhoads' tone. Go for something like a DiMarzzio Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan Distortion. Those kiddy super hot pickups are not the droids you are looking for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
None of the above, especially if you want to get Randy Rhoads' tone. Go for something like a DiMarzzio Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan Distortion. Those kiddy super hot pickups are not the droids you are looking for.

super distortion? what about the super distortion 3? not really a big fan of that creamy color especially considering that none of my guitars match with that color :b
They come in black too.

Also, when did this multiple choice become a choose-ur-own-adventure Nu Metal and Randy Rhoads are two very different beasts.
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Last edited by Danustar at Sep 12, 2014,
I agree with Cath, I think you'd be happy with a DiMarzio Super Distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
what amp do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I never liked the Seymour Duncan super distortion. I|'d go for the Seymour Duncan JB, or DiMarzio super distortion.

Or look at Bareknuckle Nailbombs...
I'd go for a Dimarzzio Super Distortion over a Seymour Duncan Distortion, myself - but Randy used both so I thought I'd better throw it in. He used ye olde JB/Jazz combo at times too IIRC. Not so sure about the JB, but I'm fairly sure about the Jazz.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

The duncan distortion is hotter than the Full shred.

OP what's your guitar?
Quote by Cathbard
I'd go for a Dimarzzio Super Distortion over a Seymour Duncan Distortion, myself - but Randy used both so I thought I'd better throw it in. He used ye olde JB/Jazz combo at times too IIRC. Not so sure about the JB, but I'm fairly sure about the Jazz.

i have no clue what he used, but it sort of depends on what the OP wants most- the duncan distortion is thrashier-sounding (I think) than either the dimarzio super distortion or the JB to my ears. But then for some of the other tones the other pickups might be better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amp do you have?

+1, you don't want great pickups going into a crappy amp, that won't do any good
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter