I've seen a professional band do it before. They referred to it in the lyric book in the album. In the set out of the lyrics, they put that line in quotation marks.
It's probably* fine under Fair Use.

*nothing's ever certain, but given parts 3 and 4 of the Doctrine of Fair Use's general test ("3: The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
4: The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work") quoting a line from a book is extremely likely to be protected under Fair Use.
Doubtful, how many songs are there that specifically quote Lord of the Rings? Not to mention the amount of Iron Maiden songs that borrow from literature.
Can you really hold a copyright claim for a line in a book? There's no guarantee that only ONE person ever has used a specific line.
Words and phrases are not copyrightable, its the combinations of them that make up a whole work that is.

Also Fair Use.

You should be okay, provided it is in fact a line and not a paragraph or something.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Ok cool, the line is from a song of ice and fire "There'll come a day when you think you're safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth and you'll know the debt has been repaid"...it's one line out of a 1000 page book so it should be good for 3 and I guess we will just quote it in the lyrics, thank you
Yeah that should be fine, you have both Fair Use and the concept of a Derivative Work on your side.

If you quote it/give credit as well, I can't imagine them coming after you unless they REALLY want to be jerks.

Just don't take credit for that line, whatever you do.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by bloodandempire
Ok cool, the line is from a song of ice and fire "There'll come a day when you think you're safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth and you'll know the debt has been repaid"...it's one line out of a 1000 page book so it should be good for 3 and I guess we will just quote it in the lyrics, thank you

that should be ok, it's not like it was made into a superpopular tv series which everyone seems to watch (and where that exact line was quoted verbatim within said tv show)

seriously though i'm actually not sure. obviously it's not outside of copyright yet.

could you cheat and change it slightly?

Quote by Jehannum
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives

wow cecelia ahern's taking a bit of a new direction there
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 12, 2014,
80s metal did it almost religiously. look at iron maiden and symphony x
Quote by bloodandempire

And of course, they blame Tyrian now for that. Is the song called "Die Joffrey"?

Best,

Sean
Quote by Jet Penguin
Words and phrases are not copyrightable, its the combinations of them that make up a whole work that is.

Sounds like legal urban legend to me - the Aussie law has no requirement for a combination of both "words" and "phrases" for a work to attract copyright.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^ Yeah. You'll know more than me (obviously) since you're a lawyer, but I remember at uni it said on the photocopier something like "You can photocopy one chapter from a textbook but no more".

I don't think it has to be the whole work, in other words. How much it has to be, though, I have no idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah Alan, I didn't meant that in the literal sense, it was just a bad analogy. I'm a guitarist and not a lawyer for a reason after all.

All I meant was that you can't copyright a word (you can trademark one) as those things are common to all language, but large combinations of them (literature) can be.

Sorry for being confusing.

Last edited by Jet Penguin at Sep 13, 2014,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^That falls under fair use because of educational purposes though. It's different for other stuff.

That's a good point. I'm guessing that'd mean you can copy even less for non-educational/fair use stuff?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would say so, just as long as you give the author credit if the conversation ever comes up, I mean, Metallica did it with For Whom the Bell Tolls and they turned out okay (at least until 1991), same with Iron Maiden and Iced Earth.
Technically the sentence is an identifiable part of a copyrighted work, which means reproduction without permission is infringement. Probably not fair use if you're putting it in music from which you derive profit. I would start with the "sampling" cases -- those cases likely discuss use of a small fragment of a copyrighted work in a later derivative work.

But I don't think GRR Martin is going to have Akin Gump or whoever unleash hell in the form of an army of slavering senior associates just to get a 5% share of your relatively nonexistent (at least compared to GRR's money pile) music publishing revenue, so as a practical matter it's unlikely to become a problem.
Wow! Creed made a fortune taking lines from the Bible but that book is exempt lol. I can think of a lot of songs inspired and related to books, but I am having a hard time with a single line. I honestly think you should be fine but would check with a copyright lawyer or look it up.
In the lyrics you should sing the MLA format citation after every line.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana