Hello there.

At the very beggining i do apologize for my poor english, it's not my primary language.
I used to play in a thrash metal band. I bought especially for this Peavey 6505 head. No the band's collapsed and also i need some money.
My playing skills sure decreased. I'd like to rebuild my skills and new gear is always a kickstarter to me.
I'm about to sell Peavey (which is absolutely great amp, but i don't think i will fully use his potential due to fact that i play rock music now). I'd like to acquire an amp that will have a great hard rock tone. If i had to compare my expectations to bands i will compare them to 80's bands like Poison, Motley Crue and also Guns N' Roses.

So i need:
-Great hard rock tone
-better clean tone than 6505 (that wouldn't be too hard)
-on-board reverb will be good
-compability with my current gear: 2x12 Celestion V30 cab, pretty accurate copy of TubeScreamer and modded Dunlop Wah

After some researches i consider
-Marshall JCM 2000 DSL head
-Marshall JCM 900 head (Dual Reverb or SL-X)
-6100 Anniversary head (little bit higher price but still ok).

I know they are all Marshalls, but all tones that sounds good to me turns out to be Marshall sound.

I would like any opinions about these amps, and also some other amps that would suite my expectations.

Regards, Dede
Can't you get a good hard rock tone from the 6505? Weird. I'd use one for hard rock.

IIRC, I've read somewhere that certain tubes can be used to improve the clean channel of the 6505.
Maybe changing tubes on the 6505 could not only give you better cleans, but also make it more suited to what you want.

There some folks here who are extremely knowledgeable on tubes.
They'll be able to tell you if it's possible, and in that case, which tubes to buy and in which position to put them in the 6505.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
@Linkerman
Of course I can. The problem is that I need money. I just have to sell this monster and buy something cheaper.
My dad is a geek when it comes to tubes, so that is not a problem

@Andy
I'm not worried about lack of gain for soloing, i have my Bee Overdrive (i wasn't able to judge if it's Bee or TS in a blind test).
How does 900 distortion compare to DSL or 6100 distortion? Or SL-X?
i found 900's a little bit... sort of girlish. Very high and bright. Isn't a little buffy sound better for hard rock?
Last edited by DedeRNR at Sep 12, 2014,
I play in a hardcore band, and having used both a 900 & 2000 I personally prefer the drive channel of the 900. Obviously I'm sure each of those classifications has loads of different sounding amps within it, so that massive generalisation probably won't help at all.
I know that it would be difficult to judge as long as i didn't test them all together but i don't think that it's possible.
I just want to gather opinions and have 2 or 3 amps to have a final shootout. Does anyone heard 6100 and can say a thing about this amp?
i would recommend downloading a circuit off a marshall, buy the pieces and put it together yourself, i did it and i got a 2000+ euros marshall for under 500 euros... it's really unfortunate marshall sell it at high prices because it has the marshall logo on it. don't get me wrong, they're great classic amps but just too expensive for the quality you get for those high prices.
Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I've got around 15 tube amps, with half a dozen in the den, the rest in storage. These days I'm mostly using modelers.

If all those tube amps somehow disappeared and I was forced to use tubes tomorrow, I'd probably put in a call to Nik at Ceriatone (www.ceriatone.com) first. Within a week or two (shipping dependent), I'd have a hand-wired amp of excellent quality that would do exactly what I wanted at an extraordinarily reasonable price.

Understand that in a couple of weeks (Oct 4, 5th), I'll walk the LA Amp Show http://www.ampshow.com/ and see most of the best of what's out there in tube amps including prototypes, and I'll talk to the designers and builders themselves (Dan Boul, Bruce Egnater, etc.), and that here in LA I can buy pretty much anything, new or used.

I'm not going to buy a Marshall off the rack at Guitar Splinter. No Peaveys. No way.

I'm going to start with Nik and go from there.
I have a Marshall 210H which I think is a great fit for hard rock, heavy rock and metal. These are the three genres which I mainly play but I also like the clean channel. I prefer the 210H to the 405 or 410 range where I think there are too many different channels compared to the 210H which has more fewer and more focused channels (in my view).

The 210H does have a reverb setting but personally I use an effects pedal to get a better reverb effect. TC Electronic do a miniture size Hall of Fame pedal for around £60 (http://www.gak.co.uk/en/tc-electronic-hall-of-fame-mini/88491). It has toneprint capabilities so even though there is only one knob you can load different reverbs. The pairing of the JVM Clean channel with the HOF works very well.

Another amp which may be worth having a look at is the Randall thrasher. It's primarily a metal amp but has one of the best clean tones of any high gain amp. Check out Ryan Bruce/Fluff on youtube and he has a number of features on this amp.

Thanks, M
I've got around 15 tube amps, with half a dozen in the den, the rest in storage. These days I'm mostly using modelers.

If all those tube amps somehow disappeared and I was forced to use tubes tomorrow, I'd probably put in a call to Nik at Ceriatone (www.ceriatone.com) first. Within a week or two (shipping dependent), I'd have a hand-wired amp of excellent quality that would do exactly what I wanted at an extraordinarily reasonable price.

Understand that in a couple of weeks (Oct 4, 5th), I'll walk the LA Amp Show http://www.ampshow.com/ and see most of the best of what's out there in tube amps including prototypes, and I'll talk to the designers and builders themselves (Dan Boul, Bruce Egnater, etc.), and that here in LA I can buy pretty much anything, new or used.

I'm not going to buy a Marshall off the rack at Guitar Splinter. No Peaveys. No way.

I'm going to start with Nik and go from there.

I don't mean to be rude, but how is this supposed to be usefull for the OP?
Quote by Taz9
I don't mean to be rude, but how is this supposed to be usefull for the OP?

$1000 for a custom hand-built tube amp to his specs? Seems like one reasonable alternative. There are many others.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
But as he has to buy something cheap, recommending a custom made amp probably isn't the best solution.

Jet City hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll do it. TS, check out a Jet City amp. Awesome amps, and cheap too.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
$1000 for a custom hand-built tube amp to his specs? Seems like one reasonable alternative. There are many others

I can understand that. Sums up in "I'm going to start with Nick and go from there"... No need for the rest. Anyway maybe I'm a bit fussy today. By the way OP I'd probably go with a Ceriatone too.
JVM is a little bit too expensive. I will have to buy damaged one, which is definetely not an option.
I see that JCA 50 head is pretty cheap so i can get a new one.
I need to check it out, but im a bit sceptic about valve head with that price.
Custom made amp is way above my budget i think. Gotta stay with used stuff.
Is new DSL100H diffrent than old JCM2000 DSL? It would be easier to check it because i can find it in stores.
And again, aby opinions on Marshall 6100 Anniversary head?
Quote by DedeRNR
I see that JCA 50 head is pretty cheap so i can get a new one.
I need to check it out, but im a bit sceptic about valve head with that price.

Don't be. They're great amps, sound really good and are realiable.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Okay, so gotta check this.
I was looking over my country's announcement's sites (i'm from Poland) and I found several amps in good prices.

-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Artist 3203 from 1982. But i think it's too soft.
-Marshall TSL60 but i heard a lot of bad reviews
Just in case you haven't found them yet, as you're in Poland check out the Thomann website.

But like Linkerman said, don't be put off by Jet City's low price, they're probably the most recommended amp on this site, and I've never seen anyone reporting any reliability issues.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yeah if you're in europe and can buy from thomann jet cities are hard to beat for the money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Marshall JCM900 SL-X is the very best marshall for high gain (of the last 20 yrs), but they have no clean channel. The JCM2000 DSL 50/100 is a beast of an amp. I have one and it can do most any styles and do it well. With a great clean channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The 6100 is one of my favourite Marshalls. They sound brilliant, packed full of features inluding MIDI switching, no SS clipping, just an awesome amp. They do seem to be a bit unreliable though which is a shame. I was looking for one before I bought my RM100, which I am really happy with.
The SL/X has no clean channel. Fantastic high gain amp but it will be less suitable to you than your 6505. The 6505 may have a less than stellar clean channel but at least it has one.
The Dual Reverb isn't bad if you mod them but in standard trim, channel 2 is a fizzy mess. After your 6505, you won't be impressed.

The DSL is probably the one you should get. Just make sure it was made after 2003.

Or, of course, get an RM100 like I did.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Marshall dsl 40c or dsl 100...
Okay, so it looks like i got to check Jet City and DSL heads.
@Cathbard, why after 2003?

Wait a sec... DSL doesn't have footswitchable reverb, does it?
Last edited by DedeRNR at Sep 13, 2014,
Prior to that they came with underrated bridge rectifiers that would cause the amp to overheat.

Yes it does.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DedeRNR
Okay, so it looks like i got to check Jet City and DSL heads.
@Cathbard, why after 2003?

Wait a sec... DSL doesn't have footswitchable reverb, does it?

Yes the JCM2000 DSL100/50 have foot switchable reverb
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay. So it is now clear that i need to check JCA and 2003-... DSL Head.
Does the new DSL100H which is now in storer sounds the same as the old ones?

EDIT. BTW, is Hayden MoFo30 a good amp? how does it relate to those 2 mentioned above?
Last edited by DedeRNR at Sep 14, 2014,
^ haven't tried the mofo but i've sort of heard conflicting things

i kind of suspect for what you want the dsl (I haven't tried the newer version), if you want the more hot-roddy marshally thing, or the jet city, if you want the slightly more modern-sounding, more compressed soldano version of 80s high gain tones, would be better. but i could be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Mofo 30 is a great amp, if you can get one of the older ones that was made in the UK. The more recent ones (made in China) have more questionable quality control & reliability.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The new DSL series is ok, the original JCM2000 DSL is a much better amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt