I'm primarily a blues player but I'm starting to dabble in some metal. I bought a Maxon Overdrive OD808 pedal the other night to give a try. I take this pedal and chain it to my Boss DS-1, I turn on the DS-1 and it works as per usual but when I turn on the OD808 with it the sound gets really thin and the volume drops. Plus there is SO much feedback and ambient noise that comes through the amp with both activated it makes it unusable.

I'm new to pedals, am I doing something wrong?

My setup is a '95 peavey transtube bandit 112 and the guitar can be one of numerous ones but for this setup I'm using either an Ibanez RG321MH with Dimarzio D Activator pups or a Schecter Damien Elite Soloist Diamond Edition with EMG 81 & 85 pups.
How did you wire them up? What are your settings?
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
My chain was like this...

Guitar ---> Boss DS-1 ---> Maxon OD808 ---> Amp (Clean Channel)

I turned down all the settings on the pedals to try and creep them in but it didn't make any difference. I also switched the position of the pedals but still no difference.
Last edited by 240SXNL at Sep 12, 2014,
The battery or adapter in the Maxon might be weak. Good choice of a pedal though.

Thanks. So by rights I should be able to use the OD808 to boost the DS-1?
Quote by 240SXNL

You should, although I don't know if it's going to sound good. Also, try putting Maxon before the DS-1.
Think of your signal as a sine wave, when you increase the "Level" knob you increase the amplitude, making it sound louder. When you increase the "Gain" knob you clip that signal thus compressing the dynamic range and generating "distortion", therefore noise normally unheard when you play (string noise, noise coming from the AC wall current into the amp, ground loop hum, etc.) are all amplified.

Always run distrotion's in the order of least to highest gain like this
OD -> Distortion -> Fuzz -> Amp
If you want to use you OD as a boost, turn the gain knob to off or nearly off. Turn the Level all the way up and they set the tone knob as desired. Also TS-808 based pedals are known for their boosted midrange sound, so that might be the cause of the "thinness" but IMO it's probably the DS-1, those things aren't worth the PCB and components they are made of, ever since BOSS changed the chip and redesigned it after the 80's they sound bad.

This noise problem is why a lot of metal players use noise gates, and higher-end metal distortion pedals sometimes contain these.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by entropicxdisson at Sep 12, 2014,
1) start by running the OD into the DS1 - that may solve the issue.
2) having two drive pedals on will always create noise and it isn't necessarily something that will sound good. Some pedals sound good in combination, but others don't. If you have the drive way up on both pedals it will sound probably terrible and create a vortex of noise and hiss.
3) the 95 peavey transtube bandit 112 and the DS1 are the weak links in your chain. Save up for a better amp that has decent built in distortion and get rid of the DS1. A decent tube amp with the Maxon will give you a really good tone. Don't buy into the hype from Satriani and Vai with their modded DS1's - they get their tones from the tube amp heads, not those pedals.
Also TS-808 based pedals are known for their boosted midrange sound, so that might be the cause of the "thinness" but IMO it's probably the DS-1, those things aren't worth the PCB and components they are made of, ever since BOSS changed the chip and redesigned it after the 80's they sound bad.

Can you suggest a good replacement?

the 95 peavey transtube bandit 112 and the DS1 are the weak links in your chain. Save up for a better amp that has decent built in distortion and get rid of the DS1. A decent tube amp with the Maxon will give you a really good tone. Don't buy into the hype from Satriani and Vai with their modded DS1's - they get their tones from the tube amp heads, not those pedals.

My other amp (for my blues setup) is a Fender Blues Jr III tube amp. This doesn't have a good onboard distortion though. The sound that I love for metal is the Mesa Boogie Rectifier head. Can you get this sound in a smaller amp?
Quote by 240SXNL

absolutely. i frequently use an od pedal to boost a distortion pedal. i use a tube amp, though, not sure if that'll affect things or not.

i run the volume on max on the od and the drive control on 0, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by entropicxdisson

(a) Always run distrotion's in the order of least to highest gain like this

(b) Also TS-808 based pedals are known for their boosted midrange sound, so that might be the cause of the "thinness" but (c) IMO it's probably the DS-1, those things aren't worth the PCB and components they are made of, ever since BOSS changed the chip and redesigned it after the 80's they sound bad.

(a) I do that too but I don't think it's a hard and fast rule

(b) I doubt it, if anything the added mids will beef up the scooped DS1

(c) I dunno. they're not the best pedal ever but I think they're usable at least. and combined with a ts it should sound pretty decent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
THANK YOU EVERYONE! I took all of your advice and just tried it out again. I went...
Guitar ---> OD ---> DS-1 ---> Amp

I turned the gain almost off on the OD and jacked up the balance on it and man oh MAN did it ever sound amazing. It beefs up the DS-1 better than I could have imagined. Great sound! Thanks for the advice people.
nice

i thought that should work. i have a digitech hot head (glorified ds1, far as i'm aware) and a bunch of ts and sd1-type ods and it does.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by entropicxdisson
(a) Always run distrotion's in the order of least to highest gain like this

(a) I do that too but I don't think it's a hard and fast rule

+1 to Dave.

I prefer to have my OD after the distortion and fuzz.
It works better for me as a clean boost for solos after the distortion and fuzz (to merely increase the volume).

Also, it works better after my distortion instead of boosting the signal before it when I want to tighten up my tone and add some mids to it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I prefer to have my OD after the distortion and fuzz.
It works better for me as a clean boost for solos after the distortion and fuzz (to merely increase the volume).

If I put the OD after the DS-1 then I get the thin sound again. The only place that it sounds good is before the distortion pedal, and it sounds amazing there.
If I put the OD after the DS-1 then I get the thin sound again. The only place that it sounds good is before the distortion pedal, and it sounds amazing there.

It's down to the settings on the OD and what you're trying to achieve. You said yourself that you'd already tried running it before the distortion and it didn't make any difference but now it sounds amazing .. presumably because you had it set incorrectly for that purpose before. Drive zero / Level 10 is the standard way to push distortion for the Mesa-esque tones you're chasing.

Running the OD after the DS is usually done for a different purpose as Linkerman said - a boost for solos. Having it later in pedal chain gives it a lot more influence over the final tone and a Tubescreamer does it's magic by bumping the mids and cutting some of the low end. This will probably sound like canned arse if you're looking for a thick metal rhythm tone but it can be just the thing for giving lead playing a more rounded voicing and help it cut through a band mix. The pedal settings for this purpose could be quite different than for the other.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A