Hey

So im debating to sell my Zilla 2x12 and getting a 1x12 to replace it.
Reason being my band stuff has just stopped like 4 months ago and i dont see myself getting into another band any time soon.

I love the sound I get from my cab bass and volume and tone wise, but for space reasons and kinda cash reasons do i sell it and replace it with an oversized (preferred) 1x12?

Was thinking about a 2nd hand orange cab or something big with a V30 in it.

What do you guys think?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Is the resale value on Zilla really that good? I can't imagine a scenario where you come out ahead in the conversion.

I've been pondering this myself on and off for a few months myself. I'm not really sure. But I'm leaning towards 212 being the smarter option to have. You don't have to worry about having a head you can't run through it (most of the time) or about projection.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would always go 212 for future-proofing unless I intended to use the 112 with a particular amp head for mobility.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Ive happy with my JCA and i cant see myself getting something silly wattage wise for a while. Been toying with the idea of getting a Pod HD pro and a power amp (can you get 60watt tube power amps) to run as well as my JCA.

I could probs get about £300 for the cab then grab a 2nd hand 1x12.

Im more than likely gonna keep the cab cause its "custom" built for me and ive no idea how hard it is to sell a purple cab haha.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I don't know of any 60 watt tube power amps. I'd probably just use the power amp from my EVH if I bought another HD Pro, or in your case, your JCA.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah ive just had a look and cant see any 60 watt or under power amps.
Seen a few solid state ones but they look a bit nasty...

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Turn your 2x12 cab on end and it will take up the same space as a 1x12 but it will be taller. I use a 2x12 cab for practice and I really would never go smaller since I have started using a 4x12 15 yrs ago. It is better to have it and not need it than be SOL
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Since your in Europe, MG Amps make some decent stuff from what I have heard
www.mgamp.com/strona/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Since your in Europe, MG Amps make some decent stuff from what I have heard
www.mgamp.com/strona/

Im liking the 50watt rack power amp. Just no clue how much it costs cause I cant figure out the currency..

Aparently its £27000 o.O

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals

Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Sep 12, 2014,
Yep

Was just gonna edit that post. £280 is pretty good I reckon unless i can pickup a 2nd hand marshall of some kind.

As for putting the 2x12 on the side, the front is angled slightly, like the top half of a angled 4x12. Might give it a play on the side and see if it sounds any different.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Any other ideas people?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Flip the 2x12 on end and use it as an end table so you’ll still have it later.
Your options seem very limited.

Magnum 44? Definitely not tube...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Your options seem very limited.

Magnum 44? Definitely not tube...

As a future "backup amp" I'm considering grabbing one myself, as it'll be a great thing for uni, space wise..setup can be: guitar>POD>magnum 44>1X12 cab/someone elses cab at a gig. Can't get any easier than that if you're wanting to still be mic'd up!
Thats what i was thinking, grab the EHX pedal and a pod HD pro then run it through my 2x12 or 1x12 (if i do downgrade it)

If not then i'll stick with the 2x12 and run the pod through my JCA (Think i can bypass my pre amp in it right?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
If it has an effects loop, sure. I think you can also do the 4 cable method and have an all in one setup. Without having to recable to switch between the pod and the amp.

I would love to do that with my EVH.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
i dunno, i mean the loop would presumably have to actually come after the preamp to let you bypass it

NICE DESIGN MIKE

Only kidding. killer amp. loop in silly place, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just thought, I could stick the 2x12 on its side. Grab a pod HD pro and either a power amp or the EHX pedal and a 4U case and run either.

Was planning on doing some recording with the pod too. But thats another story time part.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, i mean the loop would presumably have to actually come after the preamp to let you bypass it

NICE DESIGN MIKE

Only kidding. killer amp. loop in silly place, though.

N..now I'm confused and want to know more.

GOOD JOB DAVE

Quote by Carrot
I just thought, I could stick the 2x12 on its side. Grab a pod HD pro and either a power amp or the EHX pedal and a 4U case and run either.

Was planning on doing some recording with the pod too. But thats another story time part.

If you're sticking with your 212, ART makes some 1U SS power amps.

Rocktron Velocity 100?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Sep 14, 2014,
Quote by lemurflames
N..now I'm confused and want to know more.

GOOD JOB DAVE

I don't think the loop actually comes after all of the preamp.

Hopefully someone who knows more than me can confirm, but if you look at that schematic, the effects send and return come before one gain stage (it might be a cathode follower, I'm no electronics expert ), the EQ section and the master volume control. Which I'm guessing wouldn't help if you were trying to bypass the preamp, since the loop there is only bypassing some of it. I think.

EDIT: LOL at the "terble" and "niddle" controls
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lemurflames

If you're sticking with your 212, ART makes some 1U SS power amps.

Rocktron Velocity 100?

Its a 16ohm cab though.. Guess i could re wire it. Not a clue what the speakers are in there though. Well I dont know what ohm V30's i have but its wired at 16 ohm so im guessing 8's?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
^ Yea, in series.

Quote by Dave_Mc

I don't think the loop actually comes after all of the preamp.

Hopefully someone who knows more than me can confirm, but if you look at that schematic, the effects send and return come before one gain stage (it might be a cathode follower, I'm no electronics expert ), the EQ section and the master volume control. Which I'm guessing wouldn't help if you were trying to bypass the preamp, since the loop there is only bypassing some of it. I think.

EDIT: LOL at the "terble" and "niddle" controls

pingtang had spell check off. Duh?
lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?