so I'm watching Archer, and it's both good and bad for me.

Good 'cause I like it and I find it pretty fun, and I am wanting to be cool like Archer and stuff so I'm not smoking.

Bad because I had a mint julep as teak break today.

Well it's not that bad up to now but I think I'll make a couple next time...

Anyway, I made a very bastard mint julep (I used J&B 'cause I don't have bourbon 'cause even relatively cheap scotch is better than whatever bourbon I've tried).
I start with a glass (small cocktail glass, say with 2/3ds of the surface of an old fashioned), I put 5 mint leaves in it, I crushed ice and put it in there, I put a teaspoon of white granulated sugar in it, I pour scotch in it until it reaches about 2" from the bottom of the glass, I use the teaspoon to crush the mint as well and stir to make the sugar melt in the scotch.

I waited 30 sec to a minute for the glass to melt a bit as well 'cause the scotch was a bit less than room temperature and I wanted something cold.

Now, I supposed a mint julep to taste more like mint than scotch.
This one tasted very much like iced scotch with a very nice slight aftertaste of mint.
Also a good part of the sugar didn't melt in the scotch.

Did I do anything wrong while making the thing, or I did everything perfectly and it's supposed to taste very much like whisky and not much like mint?
And if it's the first case, how in the world do I do a mint julep?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Sounds like you didn't muddle the mint properly. I would use simple syrup, not granulated sugar, and muddle that with the mint leaves before adding the ice and scotch. That way the simple syrup is infused with the mint. Then, add ice (if you're having it on the rocks) and scotch.

Get a muddler, btw. Using a spoon is shitty
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Spambot_2
so I'm watching Archer, and it's both good and bad for me.

Good 'cause I like it and I find it pretty fun, and I am wanting to be cool like Archer and stuff so I'm not smoking.

Bad because I had a mint julep as teak break today.

Well it's not that bad up to now but I think I'll make a couple next time...

Anyway, I made a very bastard mint julep (I used J&B 'cause I don't have bourbon 'cause even relatively cheap scotch is better than whatever bourbon I've tried).
I start with a glass (small cocktail glass, say with 2/3ds of the surface of an old fashioned), I put 5 mint leaves in it, I crushed ice and put it in there, I put a teaspoon of white granulated sugar in it, I pour scotch in it until it reaches about 2" from the bottom of the glass, I use the teaspoon to crush the mint as well and stir to make the sugar melt in the scotch.

I waited 30 sec to a minute for the glass to melt a bit as well 'cause the scotch was a bit less than room temperature and I wanted something cold.

Now, I supposed a mint julep to taste more like mint than scotch.
This one tasted very much like iced scotch with a very nice slight aftertaste of mint.
Also a good part of the sugar didn't melt in the scotch.

Did I do anything wrong while making the thing, or I did everything perfectly and it's supposed to taste very much like whisky and not much like mint?
And if it's the first case, how in the world do I do a mint julep?

You probably want the sugar in first. Helps when you muddle the mint leaves too.

If you want it to taste sweeter, you could always use simple syrup. Granulated sugar never works how I want it to when I'm making drinks. That or I have to use a ton of it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
BAHAHAHAHAHA, I rewatched all of Archer like a month ago and it had the exact same effect on me except I ended up making Old Fashioneds.

But I can't really help you with the Mint Julep thing as I always get the vibe they're only appropriate during the Kentucky Derby, an event I really fail to see the appeal of.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
yes you did it wrong

step 1: smash all alcohol bottles
step 2: live a life of abstinence
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
yes you did it wrong

step 2: live a life of abstinence

hello i am an alcohol connoisseur i know alcohol better than anyone here on the forum because of my vast experience and i can tell you with certainty that you have done it wrong and should proceed to never drink again because you have offended all the other alcohol connoisseurs like me so please stop drinking
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Eastwinn
yes you did it wrong

step 2: live a life of absinthe

Totally
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314

you too can be saved, magdeline2314
Eaww, Easty your floors must be sticky.
I like Archer. I like scotch. I like mint.

...you may be onto something here.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I....I can?

watch the movie 'magdeline sisters'

also stop drinking

that'll cover it
Quote by Eastwinn
watch the movie 'magdeline sisters'

also stop drinking

that'll cover it

I can't promise either, but I can promise that I read this post. Ty easty.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I can't promise either, but I can promise that I read this post. Ty easty.

Don't stop drinking. Prohibition ended for a reason.
My God, it's full of stars!
you can trust me not to drink
and not to sleep around
if don't expect too much from me
you might not be let down

xalis:
Last edited by Eastwinn at Sep 12, 2014,
It tastes like semen because the only guys who drink that are trying to wash the semen out of their mouths
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Eastwinn
you can trust me not to drink
and not to sleep around
if don't expect too much from me
you might not be let down

xalis:

:ergs:

(:^()
Quote by Baby Joel
hello i am an alcohol connoisseur i know alcohol better than anyone here on the forum because of my vast experience and i can tell you with certainty that you have done it wrong and should proceed to never drink again because you have offended all the other alcohol connoisseurs like me so please stop drinking
If your opinions about alcohol are in the same league of your opinions about hair care, I guess I'll have a julep for breakfast as well tomorrow.
Quote by snipelfritz
BAHAHAHAHAHA, I rewatched all of Archer like a month ago and it had the exact same effect on me except I ended up making Old Fashioneds.

But I can't really help you with the Mint Julep thing as I always get the vibe they're only appropriate during the Kentucky Derby, an event I really fail to see the appeal of.
It's both an easy way of and and a good excuse to drink more whisky than usual.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Lol, like I need an excuse to drink lots of whiskey.

Is "It's Friday" an excuse?
Quote by snipelfritz

"it's day" should suffice
there is no excuse.

please, live with me in the mountains. the ground is high here.
MY guess would be at least a little bit minty
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by snipelfritz

Yes. In fact, some coworkers & I are planning on drinking lots of tequila, BECAUSE it's Friday.
I ate half a bag of goldfish and watched the wedding episode of keeping up with the kardashians and finished the last 100 pages of a book I was reading last night BECAUSE it's Friday
cat
^
Quote by snipelfritz

I meant an excuse that works with other people.
Like your mother or your boss.

Also it seems like the syrup idea worked, this one tasted a lot more like mint.

Thank ya brothers, I'll think of you next time I'll make one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Oh and for the record it is Manhattans I've been making not old fashioneds.

Not sure why I thought of those.