So heres the deal, I have a guitar with a floyd rose and i was wondering about lowering the strings action.
This is what it looks now:

Now my idea is to get lower action on higher strings and keep it as it is in the lower ones to avoid buzz but that way the bridge is going to angled like the Allen wrench shows here:

Can this damage the guitar in some way?
First, that Floyd is sitting higher than I've ever seen one. What kind of guitar is that on?

Second, that's a LOT of angle difference to crank into a Floyd. You may indeed have problems. If you're going to have THAT much angle in the Floyd, I'd suggest that your guitar's neck has angle issues. You might want to deal with those first and try to keep the Floyd level.

Floyds should be lower on the guitar than that one is. What IS that sitting on?
^ yeah that looks really high
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
First, that Floyd is sitting higher than I've ever seen one. What kind of guitar is that on?

Second, that's a LOT of angle difference to crank into a Floyd. You may indeed have problems. If you're going to have THAT much angle in the Floyd, I'd suggest that your guitar's neck has angle issues. You might want to deal with those first and try to keep the Floyd level.

Floyds should be lower on the guitar than that one is. What IS that sitting on?

Its a kramer pacer ive just lowered it now, do you have any ideia of a "correct" height for it?
I mean, in the pics i posted the Floyd rose das standing perfectly parallel to the guitar so i guess its OK...
Last edited by Nickbely at Sep 12, 2014,
Quote by Nickbely
Its a kramer pacer ive just lowered it now, do you have any ideia of a "correct" height for it?
I mean, in the pics i posted the Floyd rose das standing perfectly parallel to the guitar so i guess its OK...

Parallel is a good thing. That tells you that string and spring tension are in balance.

That height is unusual, in that it suggests that the neck is angled back quite a bit. Most guitars that were built originally for a Floyd have the Floyd lower and sometimes even recessed into the body a bit. About the only time we see a Floyd sitting that high is if the guitar originally carried a Fender-type trem or if the neck has been replaced (badly) by an inexperienced technician.

As for the angle you're proposing for the "tilt," the same thing applies. Normally the only "tilt" applied is about 1/64th" to get the high E string set at, say, 3/64ths and the low E string at 4/64ths. The *amount* of tilt you're indicating suggests that the neck itself is badly tilted and in need of a reset.
Quote by dspellman
Parallel is a good thing. That tells you that string and spring tension are in balance.

That height is unusual, in that it suggests that the neck is angled back quite a bit. Most guitars that were built originally for a Floyd have the Floyd lower and sometimes even recessed into the body a bit. About the only time we see a Floyd sitting that high is if the guitar originally carried a Fender-type trem or if the neck has been replaced (badly) by an inexperienced technician.

As for the angle you're proposing for the "tilt," the same thing applies. Normally the only "tilt" applied is about 1/64th" to get the high E string set at, say, 3/64ths and the low E string at 4/64ths. The *amount* of tilt you're indicating suggests that the neck itself is badly tilted and in need of a reset.

I could be the guilty one for the Floyd height.
Ive been trying to remove the buzz and maybe set it to high but now, low as it is, buzz is tremendous maybe ill need to make a truss adjustment.
Quote by Nickbely
I could be the guilty one for the Floyd height.
Ive been trying to remove the buzz and maybe set it to high but now, low as it is, buzz is tremendous maybe ill need to make a truss adjustment.

Not everything is a truss rod issue. In fact, very few things are. That's pretty much the last thing you adjust.

You need to have level frets first.

Since it's a bolt neck (it IS a bolt neck, right?) you need to have the neck set properly in the neck pocket.

Way down the list is a minor truss rod adjustment.
That can't be healthy...
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone