Hi guys,

Firstly, forgive me if i have posted in the wrong section or so. To start off, i ahve always wanted to play the guitar. I have been on and off it for the past 2 years. My problem, is kind hard to explain. I have learnt everything from youtube, so far. I can play a few songs and i have learnt some theory (like chords and stuff)off youtube channels such as justinsandercole and lypur (piano/music theory). It's all been good and all, but i just feel like i am not being able to know the guitar, properly. Like, learning the theory stuff from justinsandercole's vids are good and all but i just feel like i'm learning these ideas but i just don't know how or if i will ever implement them (you guys prob think im crazy lol), esp as i am going along. For example, i would learn a chord or something and practice it etc, but then after, i would be like "now, what? what do i do with it?"
I have learnt songs off youtube but i feel, like im only learning how to play songs. I feel like i only know the guitar through song tutroials off youtube. Other than that, i don't feel like i know, know the guitar (if that makes sense). You know how some guys can just randomly sit at a guitar and just play about and make up something that sounds alright, i would love to know the guitar enough to reach that stage. It's like when i approach a guitar, i feel limited as i don't feel like i know, the guitar properly and i don't know how to do anything but those 3 or 4 songs i learnt off youtube. Or maybe, it's all in my head. Please, help guys
My main aims are; to be able to get to that stage as mentioned above -to be KNOW (as mentioned above)and be able to Play the guitar -to know how to play the guitar -to be able to make my own proper songs using the guitar -maybe to learn how to play via ear
I dunno, maybe i just need some sort of direction or something. I really want to be good at the guitar. I used to practice at least 2 hrs a day. I just need help, guys. I am ready to put in the work in.
Thanks!
Much appreciated. Oh yeah, lessons are out of the question as i can't afford them atm lol
The problem is that there's a gap between one half of what you're learning and the other half.

You're learning some theory but don't know how to apply it and a the same time you're learning songs but don't feel like you're really getting anything out of them.

You need to bridge that gap by applying one to the other. Apply the theory to the songs; really try and understand where these things come from and what song writers are doing. It will really help understand why things sound the way they do, which is really the most important thing theory can tell you. Also you should probably start writing material, since that's really what improvising is; writing, only faster. Theory, and relating the concepts to the sounds, will really help you get the ideas out of your head and on to the guitar faster.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The problem is that there's a gap between one half of what you're learning and the other half.

You're learning some theory but don't know how to apply it and a the same time you're learning songs but don't feel like you're really getting anything out of them.

You need to bridge that gap by applying one to the other. Apply the theory to the songs; really try and understand where these things come from and what song writers are doing. It will really help understand why things sound the way they do, which is really the most important thing theory can tell you. Also you should probably start writing material, since that's really what improvising is; writing, only faster. Theory, and relating the concepts to the sounds, will really help you get the ideas out of your head and on to the guitar faster.

Dude, i tthink you hit the nail right on the head "learning some theory but don't know how to apply it and a the same time you're learning songs but don't feel like you're really getting anything out of them". This is my exact problem.

Sorry, to sound like a newb but how do i apply the theory to the songs? Omg, i would love to start writing my own songs
I am at a similar place (chronologically speaking). I've got less than 2 years of work in and I know bits and pieces but I don't play well yet.

One idea that might (or might not) help is to borrow Rocksmith for a while, or purchase it if you must. Play every song - even the ones that don't seem appealing - and pay attention to the patterns. I used Rocksmith in the beginning and I did eventually start to notice the patterns within songs. Later you can mix and match pieces of those patterns to make your own ideas.

It's also helpful to keep in mind that music theory is an attempt to understand what sounds good, and not the other way around.
If something sounds good, then do it. Theory helps a lot, but if it's not helping then you might want to forget about it for a while.

If you're really struggling, you should at least know that certain chords work good with other chords. Take any three chords - example: A, D and E and experiment with different strum patterns and different orders. ADE, or DEA, or AED.
Some orders will sound better than others, until you figure out ways to make them all work.
Boom. Music.

(Hint - it might help to add a fourth chord sometimes)
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Sep 13, 2014,
Quote by paul.housley.7
I am at a similar place (chronologically speaking). I've got less than 2 years of work in and I know bits and pieces but I don't play well yet.

One idea that might (or might not) help is to borrow Rocksmith for a while, or purchase it if you must. Play every song - even the ones that don't seem appealing - and pay attention to the patterns. I used Rocksmith in the beginning and I did eventually start to notice the patterns within songs. Later you can mix and match pieces of those patterns to make your own ideas.

It's also helpful to keep in mind that music theory is an attempt to understand what sounds good, and not the other way around.
If something sounds good, then do it. Theory helps a lot, but if it's not helping then you might want to forget about it for a while.

If you're really struggling, you should at least know that certain chords work good with other chords. Take any three chords - example: A, D and E and experiment with different strum patterns and different orders. ADE, or DEA, or AED.
Some orders will sound better than others, until you figure out ways to make them all work.
Boom. Music.

(Hint - it might help to add a fourth chord sometimes)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i will try and see if i can get rocksmith or something similar and just learn as many songs as i can. Maybe, over time, i will learn something