i have a epiphone SG, one i got for around 550$, and i was wondering if i should keep it and stick to getting better quality pickups and a better bridge and so and so, or would it be cheaper and better for me just to get a new guitar for around 1,000$?
Well it depends, really. Is the guitar comfortable in your hands, especially the neck? Do you like the unplugged tone? If you answer no to either of those questions, I'd suggest getting a new guitar. Everything besides the tone wood and the neck can be changed pretty easily on a guitar. If you like what you already have from that perspective, I'd stick with that and upgrade to your heart's content.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Is the guitar comfortable in your hands, especially the neck?

This is the key question, IMHO. Most of the other stuff pales in importance to this.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by tas38
Well it depends, really. Is the guitar comfortable in your hands, especially the neck? Do you like the unplugged tone? If you answer no to either of those questions, I'd suggest getting a new guitar. Everything besides the tone wood and the neck can be changed pretty easily on a guitar. If you like what you already have from that perspective, I'd stick with that and upgrade to your heart's content.

it is, alot, i want to try a few other guitars but i dont think buying another guitar in the same budget would be viable just because it'd be more comfortable. Other than that my question was in regards to whether a epiphone SG completely modded to my own heart's content could reach the potential of a guitar worth around 1,000$ or so
Last edited by rami_cobain at Sep 12, 2014,
If you like the guitar, upgrade it, it you're itching for something new, do that. FWIW, even if a buy a new (to me) electric I would likely still end up pickup swapping - I have done so on five out of my six.

If you do upgrade, keep the old pickups put them back in when/if you sell it. Either put the good pickup in the next guitar or sel them separately.
going through gobs of gear i would just opt for the guitar. guitarists, at least me, seem to go through a lot of gear trying to find the 'right' one. its not just a one time deal, its a life time deal, with that said, WHEN/IF you decide to sell it, it will be monumentally easier to sell a nicer, un-modded/un-molested guitar.

look at a used Gibson SG for $650-850 USD depending on what model you want
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Other than that my question was in regards to whether a epiphone SG completely modded to my own heart's content could reach the potential of a guitar worth around 1,000$ or so

Objectively, probably not.

Subjectively, it is hard to beat a guitar customized to your tastes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by thejester
going through gobs of gear i would just opt for the guitar. guitarists, at least me, seem to go through a lot of gear trying to find the 'right' one. its not just a one time deal, its a life time deal, with that said, WHEN/IF you decide to sell it, it will be monumentally easier to sell a nicer, un-modded/un-molested guitar.

look at a used Gibson SG for $650-850 USD depending on what model you want

it's not really as easy as it sounds because i'm left handed, so finding any used lefty Gibson SG is practically impossible and the actual one isn't really cheap
The main question is whether the guitar plays right to you? Do your hands feel comfortable with it, is the action, intonation right, etc. Why do you feel you need the pickup change?
Also - what amp/rig do you play through?
Quote by rami_cobain
it's not really as easy as it sounds because i'm left handed, so finding any used lefty Gibson SG is practically impossible and the actual one isn't really cheap

For your future use, some lefty guitar resources:

http://leftyfretz.com/
http://www.southpawguitars.com/
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm
http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/
http://leftyguitarsonly.com/

I've played some really nice Epiphones. They are a bit hit and miss but good ones are quite good. Similarly, the bad ones can be quite bad indeed. If you like the way it plays then I'd upgrade the hardware on it to what you actually want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ask yourself first: "what don't I like about this guitar?" If simple changes will fix it, go for it. I have played some Epis I liked a lot better than some $2000 Gibbys so I would not be in a big hurry to change anything. A $1000 guitar might be better, might not. Be a bummer to sell a sweetie you know and buy a dog you don't for twice the $$$.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Buy a new amp then swapout the pups maybe throw a buzz frieten nut on there. (There is a learning curve to those nuts so you might want to try a guitar with the upgraded nut.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
this may sound crazy at first but have you considered playing rightie. I'm a leftie myself but after a year or so of using crappy rightie guitars flipped (this was the late 70s when lefty guitars were very rare hard to find) I got a right handed axe and started from scratch. progress went fairly quick and I could now use any of the many guitars out there. just a thought.