I'm starting University in a few months and I've got some more free time on my hands so I wanted to learn a new guitar style (e.g. Gypsy Jazz) for fun. Ideally something I could practice/would translate to electric or acoustic.

Apologies for my vague question I'm just lacking in inspiration of where to start right now.

Only thing thing I wanted to avoid was Soukous because I already play in a band that does stuff like that, great music but not something I fancy delving into at the moment.

Thanks guys
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
This might be more fruitful if you explained what styles you already have some familiarity with...

Quote by Skinny91
Only thing thing I wanted to avoid was Soukous because I already play in a band that does stuff like that

Quote by captainsnazz

Yes, he listed one style. I'm assuming he plays more than one style.

Now, go back to your wubs.
I generally prefer to play finger style acoustic stuff (thats probably still pretty vague) but its mainly pretty standard shit so I wanted to learn something a little more interesting.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, he listed one style. I'm assuming he plays more than one style.

Now, go back to your wubs.

the ONLY thing he wants to avoid is soukous
i.e. suggest anything else

clearly he wants to broaden his horizons, you should take some inspiration from this
acoustic slide guitar and explore all open tunings, then get into more obscure open tunings...then make up tunings...then play your guitar just however the strings are currently tuned every time you pick it up and make it sound good...
You sure are going for the gusto lol, as Gypsy style jazz is a very taxing and difficult style. Especially going from no pick to lightning quick lines and arpeggios played mainly with down strokes. But I like your choice!