Noob here.

I've started recording a cover with reaper. I'm using Podfarm.

I'm trying to record in sections. So far I've laid down the first 16 bars on 5 tracks (2 double tracked rhythms 1 lead).

When I go to record the next section (say rhythm guitar 1), I press record a little bit before to get into the click. When I do this it is overriding my old take so on playback it only is playing the new take.

How do I get it so it'll only start recording where I want it to? To avoid this overlap

Cheers
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
If you right click the metronome button, there's a checkbox for "pre-roll before recording", enable that. Then it'll play for a bit before you record (you don't have to have it beat-sync'd or the metronome on for this to work).
****ing legend.

Thank you SO much man.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Is it bad that I thought Australian the moment I saw ****ing legend, and only then did I look at your location?
Not at all
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
How about just doing it on another track and assemblind the final take?

I think Reaper does multitakes as "layers" or something like that, I think I recall that there was an option in the presets somewhere to enable the previous layer to play through or something like that...not 100$ sure though.
the layers are super confusing for me so I avoid them at all costs

I think there are 2 ways to do what u want to do.

1) if it is set to "record normally" (default) then you can just put the cursor where u want the recording to start. When u hit "record" it will back it up some anyway so u can get the timing.

2) under "options" set it to record the "time selection"...I forget the exact wording but its the second option down. Then go and highlight (click and drag etc) where you want to record. I usually highlight far enough forward in case I get a good take going and what to keep going lol. After its highlighted u can then back up as far as you want and hit record and it wont record until it gets to your highlighted part