When learning songs by ear do you learn the studio version or the live version?

And which is the better way if your just beginning trying to learn by ear, Led Zep, ACDC and Guns N Roses is what Im trying to learn.
Quote by LTaces
When learning songs by ear do you learn the studio version or the live version?

And which is the better way if your just beginning trying to learn by ear, Led Zep, ACDC and Guns N Roses is what Im trying to learn.

When I teach someone a song, I typically use the Studio version as I consider it the most "pristine" of the actual work, and I consider live to be artistic reworkings of the original. I don't do live transcriptions, unless requested, for example, Randy Rhodes' ending solo from his live version of Suicide Solution.

Best,

Sean
Usually studio versions sound more clean so it's easier to hear everything. Sometimes it's good to listen to both. If you can't hear something in the studio version, you may be able to figure it out by listening to the live version.

Led Zeppelin sounds way different live than in the studio. They changed their songs live a lot. But I would guess Guns N' Roses and AC/DC are pretty similar live and in studio - I mean, they play the songs pretty similarly.

But it depends on you. If you really like the live version of the song, learn the live version. Sometimes live versions just sound so much better. Sometimes it's the other way around.

But in the beginning I would say learning the studio version is easier. It just sounds clearer, so if your ear isn't that great yet, it is easier to figure out the riffs and melodies from the studio version.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Sep 13, 2014,
Thanks guys sounds like studio would be easier for me to start with!
The studio versions for those groups for sure. Studio recordings are much clearer ( as mentioned above). I personally don't find live Guns and Roses to be on the same level as their studio work - probably due to booze. Jimmy Page is a mess live compared to the studio. Angus Young is very solid however.

Guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan really kill it live so in those cases you may want to learn a live version, though his studio work is impeccable as well.
Studio versions are usually easier but learn the version you like.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY