I'm heading off to uni soon and I'm looking for a way to keep playing electric guitar without making everyone hate me.

I currently only own a guitar and an amp (which I really dont want to lug up to uni with me)

I was looking into something like guitar rig 5 but i know almost nothing about it (such as what type of audio interface to use) and whether or not it'll sound like shit through my £40 headphones.

I'm sure people have been in similar situations and might have some solutions

also sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this.
Something like a Line6 Pod would do fine with your headphones I think that's the route most people go. Also, they sound good enough that many metal guitarists use them at shows directly plugged into the PA. No amp necessary.

Guitar Rig 5 would certainly work, but then you're looking into picking an interface (if you're set on this route, a Scarlett 2i2 is the most common choice) and depending on your computer, you COULD run into latency issues, which can be a huge turn off to the idea of even picking up your instrument.

Guitar Rig 5 is normally used in a studio or home recording setting. You have to run it through a DAW. That makes it kind of a bad choice when it comes to a practicing tool.

From a pricing standpoint, there's not much difference between either option.
Thanks for your response I havent looked into the POD at all, there seems to be a pretty big variation in the price of the POD which would be best for a casual practice style? (I tend to play metal, blues and some clean stuff)

In terms of guitar rig what would cause the latency issues?
Quote by Tedis1111
Thanks for your response I havent looked into the POD at all, there seems to be a pretty big variation in the price of the POD which would be best for a casual practice style? (I tend to play metal, blues and some clean stuff)

In terms of guitar rig what would cause the latency issues?

The POD 2.0 is the one I've seen the most, and if you're going to be practicing in the dorm, the size isn't going to be an issue. The added buttons and knobs (vs the Pocket POD), makes me think it'd be easier to dial things in and change the sound when need be.

The POD HD is the nicer of the bunch, but seems like it'd be overkill unless you're planning on recording.

As far as latency goes, it just depends on the computer and the DAW. It's not Guitar Rig 5 specifically, but any DAW setup outside of one that uses a purpose built computer and an expensive interface has a good chance of having some latency going on. It's because the computer has to process the sound. This takes time (albeit milliseconds), but it can make practicing with any sort of DAW setup a bitch.
What jack does the POD take for the headphones? Would it be possible to plug into speakers if i needed to?
I believe all of them except the 'pocket' version are 1/4" for the headphones. There's also an option on the 2.0 to run it into an amp (AIR mode) as well as a left and right output for running into a PA.

You may want to see if you can get a look at one in a store though I'm not an expert on these guys.
I bought a Blackstar ID:core 10 for about £80, lovely little piece of kit, simple operation and the sound blew me away considering the price. Has emulated/headphone out too.
Silverburst
The PODs are the industry standard, but there are competitors.

I've owned 2 Korg Px4s, and they're actually tougher than they seem. My first one lasted several years before I had any problems serious enough for me to replace it. It still mostly functions, but not completely. The Px5 was better made and more powerful, but, oddly, lacked the Px4's belt/strap clip. I think the only Pandoras still in production are a mini one and one that is more like a pedal.

Tascam makes one that has mics- handy if you want to record how how you sound acoustically.

Boss makes a couple of very powerful ones, but I've never used one myself.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd avoid the Pod 2.0, honestly. It's pretty much out of date. That Pod was superceded by the XT and then the X3 and now the HD. If you're going to be playing in your dorm room, just buy the "bean" version (Pod HD). I originally bought the Pod XT "bean" for exactly what you're intending; quiet practice where an amp would be disturbing.

I've got both a Korg PX3 and a PX5 as well. The main difference is that these are battery powered and very small (in the case of the PX5D, it's a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes). In short, you can play them anywhere, and they come with built-ins like a slower-downer, a pitch changer, a phrase trainer and a whole raft of other practice tools, including some drum and bass backing. The MINI version currently for sale has managed to squash all of the PX 5D stuff into an even smaller package that works on a single AA (AAA?) battery.

Nonetheless, I prefer the Pod anytime there will be a place to plug it in.
Quote by Tedis1111
I'm heading off to uni soon and I'm looking for a way to keep playing electric guitar without making everyone hate me.

I currently only own a guitar and an amp (which I really dont want to lug up to uni with me)

I was looking into something like guitar rig 5 but i know almost nothing about it (such as what type of audio interface to use) and whether or not it'll sound like shit through my £40 headphones.

I'm sure people have been in similar situations and might have some solutions

also sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this.

Avoid Guitar Rig unless you want to get into recording.

I would probably go for something like a Roland Micro Cube or some other tiny portable digital amp with a headphone out.
Having to use a DAW doesn't mean that it's a poor solution. There are loads if good free DAWs like Reaper. Easy, free and good to use. Couple that with S Gear and a cheap USB interface and you're good to go with what some would say are better tones than those POD units.

Or get a Kemper.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.