Page 1 of 2
So this thread is all about The Beatles...

1. Do you like The Beatles?
2. Favourite Beatles era? e.g. the early Beatles
3. Favourite Beatles style? e.g. Moptop
4. Favourite singer?
5. Favourite songwriter?
6. Favourite musician?
7. All-around favourite Beatle?
8. Favourite Beatle song per era? e.g. I want to hold your hand, Taxman, I am the walrus, While my guitar gently weeps, Don't let me down
9. Favourite album per era? e.g. A Hard day's night, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road
10. Favourite solo career?
11. Favourite solo song? e.g. Imagine
12. Favourite cover of a Beatles song? e.g. Elvis Presley - Something
13. Why do you think they are still so popular after 50+ years?

Discuss, Pit.

EDIT: You do not need to answer all these questions. They are only here to get the conversation started.
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Last edited by songbird64 at Sep 13, 2014,
Think before you post and ROCK ON!

who?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
The Beatles destroyed the music industry
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
1. no
2. post 1970
3. dead
4. hank williams
5. hank williams
6. hank williams
7. pete best because he was least annoying
8. none of them
9. none of them
10. john because he died first
11. john's post 1980 material
12. john cage's cover of eleanor rigby
13. because old people are idiots
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yeah, they're my favorite band!

I can't be bothered to answer the rest.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
1. Do you like The Beatles? No, I like Blink-182

2. Favourite Beatles Blink-182 era? Enema/Pants era

3. Favourite Beatles Blink-182 style? I like the synthy style of the newer songs quite a lot.

4. Favourite singer? Tom or Mark

5. Favourite songwriter? Tom probably

6. Favourite musician? Tom or Mark

7. All-around favourite Beatle Blink-182 member? Mark

8. Favourite Beatles Blink-182 song per era? (pre-Enema) Man Overboard, (Enema/Pants) Online Songs, (self titled era) Feeling This and (reunion era) Wishing Well

9. Favourite album per era? (pre-Enema) Chesire Cat, (Enema/Pants) Pants, (self titled) Blink-182 and (reunion era) Dogs Eating Dogs EP.

10. Favourite solo career? Angels and Airwaves

11. Favourite solo song? Everything's Magic by AVA

12. Favourite cover of a Beatles Blink-182 song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpEM1pqOkWM

13. Why do you think they are still so popular after 20+ years? Great songwriting, great songs and the sense of nostalgia.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Bladez22
this is an interrogation

Yeah, I know it is a lot of questions. I just like to hear other people's opinions on things. It is mostly to get the conversation started
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Last edited by songbird64 at Sep 13, 2014,
Not my favorite band, but they were my gateway band into music. I started listening to them in like 2nd grade. There was always just an innocence about their music, I liked their lovey dovey stuff before they went into the psychedelic stuff.

Favorite song by John:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVr_6kE1vio

Favorite song by Paul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwqu_kfhAQ

Really liked their anti war sentiment, which is really cool. We could use more celebrities today speaking out against war.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Not my favorite band, but they were my gateway band into music. I started listening to them in like 2nd grade. There was always just an innocence about their music, I liked their lovey dovey stuff before they went into the psychedelic stuff.

Favorite song by John:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVr_6kE1vio

Favorite song by Paul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwqu_kfhAQ

Really liked their anti war sentiment, which is really cool. We could use more celebrities today speaking out against war.

I 100% agree with this post
1. Do you like The Beatles? no
2. Favourite Beatles era? e.g. the early Beatles none
3. Favourite Beatles style? e.g. Moptop none
4. Favourite singer? none
5. Favourite songwriter? none
6. Favourite musician? none
7. All-around favourite Beatle? none
8. Favourite Beatle song per era? e.g. I want to hold your hand, Taxman, I am the walrus, While my guitar gently weeps, Don't let me down none
9. Favourite album per era? e.g. A Hard day's night, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road none
10. Favourite solo career? none
11. Favourite solo song? e.g. Imagine none
12. Favourite cover of a Beatles song? e.g. Elvis Presley - Something none
13. Why do you think they are still so popular after 50+ years? they blow
i don't know why i feel so dry
1. Yes. Greatest band of all time, in terms of what I think most of us REALLY aspire to do with music. To connect with people and have both a legacy and artistic integrity.

2. All. Every era has its own perks.

3. Late Beatles, when everyone began to have their own individual personality show more.

4. Paul

5. Lennon & McCartney are two sides of the same coin.

6. George. Massively underrated and contributed so much with so much taste.

7. N/A. They all bring something so unique to the table.

8. Hardest question that has ever been asked on UG. Can't pick.

9. See #8, but Sgt. Pepper was a real mind blower when I first heard it. What's incredible is how the sound develops and changes, even slightly, from album to album. You can really hear the band grow.

10. George, on the grounds that All Things Must Pass is basically a Beatles album sans John.

11. Another tough one, but I lean toward Paul's music; fantastic pop writer who is a master of standalone tracks. The other's music is more album-oriented.

12. The Andy Timmons Sgt. Pepper tribute album. Its obvious he approaches the material with reverence and respect. No pandering or obligatory anything, like most shameless Beatles covers.

13. The songs were incredibly well written (both musically and lyrically), they were incredible personalities and they actually CONNECTED with people and human experience through music. Something all musicians should take notes on.

Edit: In an attempt to contribute to what people are actually talking about in this thread:

I hate Blink 182.

I find the John Cage joke offensive.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Sep 13, 2014,
i don't dislike the beatles but i honestly think sgt. pepper is up there with the worst albums ever made. take out that last track and it's proper shit. imo their best stuff came at the start before they all became indian.

Yes, but it took me a while to appreciate them, not one of my favs though, but I do listen to them from time to time.
2. Favourite Beatles era?
From Help! until the very last.
3. Favourite Beatles style?
The Acoustic relaxed and the psychodelic stuff
4. Favourite singer?
John.
5. Favourite songwriter?
I think John, it just happens that I don't really know who wrote what, but when I find out most of the time it's John's work.
6. Favourite musician?
Harrison.
I don't have any.
8. Favourite Beatle song per era?
I don't know, I just happen to put everything on shuffle, I just know I don't really dig the earlier stuff.
9. Favourite album per era?
See number 10. Although I really like Help! and Magical Mystery Tour.
Haven't really payed attention to the solo carreers, just a few songs from John and Paul.
11. Favourite solo song? Alligator (Paul)
12. Favourite cover of a Beatles song?
Eleonor Rigby-Esperanto pure prog love.
It's just good music that parents pass to their children and so on.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
1. Do you like The Beatles? Yep
2. Favourite Beatles era? '66-'69
4. Favourite singer? Paul. Lennon's a close second but he can be pretty screechy. Ringo's singing sounds goofy and George doesn't seem to have any defining feature in his voice.
5. Favourite songwriter? Lennon/McCartney can't be separated. Together they were genius. Apart they were 'meh'. A lot like Waters/Gilmour.
10. Favourite solo career? McCartney. Lennon was ok (had arguably better songs), George had about two songs I liked and Ringo looks like he should be in U2 (I have no idea what kind of music he even makes any more)
11. Favourite solo song? Working Class Hero
13. Why do you think they are still so popular after 50+ years? Because they were great songwriters. You can take nearly any Beatles song and cover it in a different style/genre with different instruments and it'll still be good as long as the melody and harmony are left mostly untouched. It's just good songwriting.. period..
Yay I like this thread

Yes

Probably Revolver/Rubber Soul/Abbey Road era

Shagadelic Beatles

4. Favourite singer?
Paul

5. Favourite songwriter?
Paul

6. Favourite musician?
Paul or George, not sure which

Paul

Help, Come Together, In My Life and For No One, Don't Let Me Down

A Hard Days Night, Rubber Soul, Let it Be

Paul

11. Favourite solo song?
Julia

I don't know too many, so I'll go with Umphrey's McGee - I Want You (She's so Heavy)

Because they wrote ****ing good songs and were (for the most part) good musicians.

Yes.
2. Favourite Beatles era?
Pop/pre-psychedelic era.
3. Favourite Beatles style?
What does this mean?
4. Favourite singer?
McCartney
5. Favourite songwriter?
McCartney/Lennon
6. Favourite musician? Lennon
I don't enough about them.
I'm not sure what qualifies as eras, but my favorites "Don't Let Me Down," "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" (that one gets a lot of hate for some reason), and "Oh! Darling."
I'm still not sure what separates the eras, but Abbey Road is probably my favorite.
McCartney
11. Favourite solo song?
"Live and Let Live"
Hanson's cover of "Oh! Darling." You'll be surprised how the drummer can sing.
Because they were so popular then that they created a lasting legacy is the really short and redundant answer.
Quote by Jet Penguin
.I find the John Cage joke offensive.

your joke was far more offensive

1. Yes. Greatest band of all time, in terms of what I think most of us REALLY aspire to do with music. To connect with people and have both a legacy and artistic integrity
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by songbird64

4. Favourite singer?
5. Favourite songwriter?
6. Favourite musician?
8. Favourite Beatle song per era? e.g. I want to hold your hand, Taxman, I am the walrus, While my guitar gently weeps, Don't let me down
9. Favourite album per era? e.g. A Hard day's night, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road

Discuss, Pit.

EDIT: You do not need to answer all these questions. They are only here to get the conversation started.

1. Yes
2. Rubber Soul - Abbey Road
3. Sgt. Pepper
4. George Harrison
5. John Lennon
6. George Harrison
7. George Harrison
8. No Reply, Tomorrow Never Knows, Within You Without You, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I Want You (She's So Heavy)
9. Beatles For Sale, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, White Album
10. Paul McCartney
11. It Don't Come Easy
12. Johnny Cash - In My Life
13. They revolutionized popular music.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.

In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by EndTheRapture51
1. Do you like The Beatles? No, I like Blink-182

2. Favourite Beatles Blink-182 era? Enema/Pants era

3. Favourite Beatles Blink-182 style? I like the synthy style of the newer songs quite a lot.

4. Favourite singer? Tom or Mark

5. Favourite songwriter? Tom probably

6. Favourite musician? Tom or Mark

7. All-around favourite Beatle Blink-182 member? Mark

8. Favourite Beatles Blink-182 song per era? (pre-Enema) Man Overboard, (Enema/Pants) Online Songs, (self titled era) Feeling This and (reunion era) Wishing Well

9. Favourite album per era? (pre-Enema) Chesire Cat, (Enema/Pants) Pants, (self titled) Blink-182 and (reunion era) Dogs Eating Dogs EP.

10. Favourite solo career? Angels and Airwaves

11. Favourite solo song? Everything's Magic by AVA

12. Favourite cover of a Beatles Blink-182 song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpEM1pqOkWM

13. Why do you think they are still so popular after 20+ years? Great songwriting, great songs and the sense of nostalgia.

i remember when i was 12.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
i remember when i was 12.

lol

OT: I'm not a huge fan of The Beatles but they are alright sometimes.
do I like the Beatles?
I could take them or leave them
why are they still so popular?
the same reason I could take them or leave them, they were the first major recorded act to have that nonthreatening generic sound that fits people's basic idea of what music is
Quote by zgr0826
Stuff

Lol

Somebody doesn't like The Beatles.

I especially liked that last line. What does the length of a tune or technical playing skill have to do with good songwriting?

Go listen to anything after Revolver and they pretty much got rid of the '2-minute diddy' thing. Most of the songs are around 3-4 minutes, if length is such a huge concern.
YES
EARLY
WHAT THE ****
4. Favourite singer?
SCOTT WALKER
5. Favourite songwriter?
NASIR JONES
6. Favourite musician?
KANYE WEST
PAUL
HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN
HELP!
PAUL
HEART OF THE COUNTRY
NO IDEA
THEY'RE WHITE AND MAKE INOFFENSIVE LITTLE TUNES

Discuss, Pit.

EDIT -
Quote by zgr0826
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.

In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

never gets old
i think any rational person over the age of 12 can agree that the beatles are probably the worst thing to ever happen to music

Quote by mjones1992
Go listen to anything after Revolver and they pretty much got rid of the '2-minute diddy' thing. Most of the songs are around 3-4 minutes, if length is such a huge concern.

it clearly said 3 minutes and not 2

i guess listening to the beatles just makes you too stupid to read numbers
Page 1 of 2