Hello, guitar people!
I bought this cool cheapo guitar last week and I believe it to have great potential. For a guitar I got for 180 euro it already sounds amazing, but I thought that if I swapped those Wilkinson pickups for something more serious, this could become a good gigging instrument
The thing is, I am not as experienced with pickups as I am sure many of you here are and I have never swapped pickups on any of my guitars yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I found that I quite like how the guitar sounds in terms of "colour", it's just the quality that bothers me...

Whoops, sorry, I have posted into the wrong forum section :/ if someone could please move this thread, thank you...
Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton II
ESP LTD MH-1000FR
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Randall RH150G3 (and 412 cab)
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500
Last edited by Darth Crow at Sep 13, 2014,
What kinda sound you looking for?

The seymour duncan and Dimarzio pickup pickers have a good idea in picking a pickup. (dimarzio more so than SD)

Active or passive?
Guessing your LTD has EMGs?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
What kind of sound are you aiming for? What genres?

And what kind of budget are we talking?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
OK, sound-wise... well, for this guitar, I would like to get as close as possible to a Music Man-like sound. I know I can't turn this guitar into a 2000€-worth instrument, but I just love the deep yet sparkly clean sounds and thick but articulate distortion.
I bought this guitar mainly as a backup for shows with my band and we play a kind of melodic hard rock with blues rock and a little prog rock elements. But I also play a lot of Dream Theater at home and that si probably what I am aiming for the most.

That LTD had EMGs, yes, but I no longer actually have that guitar, I just kept it in my sig because I loved it and no, I do not want active pickups

Oh, and as for the budget, I am willing to shell out 100-120 euros. But I would probably go a little higher if I had a good reason to
Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton II
ESP LTD MH-1000FR
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500
Last edited by Darth Crow at Sep 14, 2014,
Hmmm...consider the

RailHammer HyperVintage
Seymour Duncan '59 or JB
Tesla OPUS-1
Lace Alumitones or Deathbuckers*

* Yes, I know, but they're a lot more tonally flexible than people realize, and may appeal to the part of you that misses the EMGs.

Alumitones can do metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r15uOo99kc&sns=em

Deathbuckers can do cleans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmr2zns-SW8&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 14, 2014,
Thank you very much for the hints!
However, it could be a problem to get my hands on anything of those four except the SDs :/ distribution here in Slovakia is not as good as I would like. I should probably have mentioned my location.
It is simple enough to get DiMarzios, SDs, EMGs and such similar major brand pickups here, but we are not so lucky with the smaller ones :/
Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton II
ESP LTD MH-1000FR
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500
Hey, I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas, and I usually can't get any except the SDs except by ordering online or over the phone.

It should be OK if you shop through a reputable online dealer.