I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and I kept hearing great things about Agile Guitars. In the many years of being around guitarists and the few I've played, I'd never heard of Agile until a month or so ago. I've only heard good things about them, but was wondering if anybody had any history on the company, knows why they only sell them through Rondo, and if they are really the best "bang-for-your-buck" company. Thanks. Oh, and if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
The finishes can be a bit hit or miss but most of the time you're getting a stellar guitar for the price. The Cepheus pickups can be a bit lackluster but the hardware is all solid and they have some sweet tops.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'm a big proponent of the Agile AL-series (Les Paul-ish) guitars -- I've got three.

The AL-3XXX series that I have (and that I've seen) have been pretty much flaw-free. For the price, that's astounding. Generally speaking, the reaction to those guitars upon opening the box has been, "I paid *what* for this guitar?" They sport features that are well beyond what Gibson offers at even 10X the price (ebony fretboard, real shell inlays, tusq nut, Graphtech string saver saddles, multi-layer binding on headstock and body, etc.

I do have one AL-2000 Floyd that had finish issues on the front upper bout, but it was sold as a B stock because of them, and I got the guitar plus case and shipping for under $200. That's right around half price. I've put all three guitars on the PLEK machine at Gary Brawer's shop, and all three are playing extravagantly well several years on, with all three among the most heavily used guitars I own during that period. They've been absolutely stable in terms of neck/fret movement.

One of my guitars is a "custom" and it's worth talking about what you can get for your semi-custom dollar. Truth is, you can't get anything like it from Epiphone at all, and you can't get most of what's offered from Gibson, either. You can order up a neck-through construction guitar with an Axcess-like neck heel and tummy cut with 24.75", 25.5", 27" scales, 6 or 7 strings, 24 frets, a chambered upper bout (cuts the weight a bit), stainless frets, ebony fretboard( standard), wide neck profile, slim neck profile, active or passive pickups, a really wide variety of finishes, with or without a Floyd Rose and much much more. I just spec'd out one that will run around $ 1100 with a full thickness figured maple cap. The same guitar from Gibson will run about $6000 ( a few years ago I tried this and the price was $5760), and from Carvin around $2000. Neither will have neck-through construction and only the Carvin will have 24 frets. Gibson won't provide 24 frets, won't do one with a 25.5" or 27" scale, won't offer stainless frets, won't offer a 14" or 16" radius and has to be coerced to offer an ebony fretboard with MOP inlays.

I really haven't tried many of the superstrats, but I'm not sure where you can find 7, 8, 9 and 10-string choices with scales up to 30", with fan-fret necks or where else you find an 8 or 9-string with a Floyd or Kahler trem.
Quote by ThePIGI_King
I've only heard good things about them, but was wondering if anybody had any history on the company, knows why they only sell them through Rondo, and if they are really the best "bang-for-your-buck" company.

Rondo Music was a brick and mortar store on the east coast at one point, but Kurt, the owner decided to move to New Hampshire (I think) and sell everything online. Agile isn't sold by any other companies because it's Rondo's exclusive brand name. Rondo is Agile and Agile is Rondo.

He imports Agiles, built to his spec, from Korea. Near as I can tell, he gets container loads of guitars shipped in and then pulls them into the warehouse, putting them up on the website and on eBay as they come off the containers. You order, he ships, and I don't think they even open the boxes (okay, maybe). That's the other "wonder" of the process; that they don't have more issues than they do. The majority of the guitars are outstanding and great bang for the buck.

Occasionally there's a return or a glitch (Kurt has been really good about accepting returns or making it right financially when these glitches occur). The returns are usually put up on the website as reduced-price B stocks, and these are rarely available very long. Some have only been on the website literally seconds before they've been snapped up.

The bad news is that some models are out of stock fairly quickly after they go up on the site, so if you've got your eye on something, you need to purchase with dispatch, or you may not see them available for several months to a year again.

The guitars have rarely appeared as used items, but Guitar Center has often been offering them at full retail when they're available. They don't last.
Quote by dspellman
You order, he ships, and I don't think they even open the boxes (okay, maybe). That's the other "wonder" of the process; that they don't have more issues than they do. The majority of the guitars are outstanding and great bang for the buck.

Surely they open the cases to make sure everything is OK, no? A setup maybe? Otherwise that's showing great faith to the supplier. On the other hand if you are confident and you know they're doing their job right then I guess you're sorted...
Quote by OliveG
Surely they open the cases to make sure everything is OK, no? A setup maybe? Otherwise that's showing great faith to the supplier. On the other hand if you are confident and you know they're doing their job right then I guess you're sorted...

The guitars don't come with cases, usually. They ship in a cardboard box (and yes,they make it just fine). If you order a case with the guitar, they'll put the guitar in the case and ship the guitar in the case's cardboard box. No, they don't do a setup. And I'm guessing that IF they open the box it's just to check that the color is correct.
Agiles can be stunning for the price. I have an older Goldtop AL2000 that I love. Imo, the stock humbuckers are awesome, if they haven't changed them. It plays nice, feels good, sounds good, holds tune, I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever that any other LP type guitar wouldn't give me. A friend has a very nice AL3100 too, great guitar. I'm not really a Les Paul guy so I'm content with my AL2000 but imo the higher models are all still excellent bang for your buck. Even ignoring price, they are just really nice players imo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks guys! Does anybody here have or know anybody that has the Sceptor 727? Not the Pro or Elite, but the lower priced one? It's like $330 and I was wondering if those were good or not. They have the passive Cepheus humbuckers and it's a bolt on. I'm not really looking to buy one soon, but eventually. I would rather get the "lower end" model first incase 7's aren't for me. Thanks again guys and gals.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic