So I have an Epiphone Gibson Sg Special. I have this fender amp. http://fenderamps.org/fender-pr-241-frontman-electric-guitar-amp-38-watt-amplifier]fender amp . If that amp is not good. I could buy a mini amp. Or get a effects pedal and a monster cable. What guitar picks should I be using? I use a tortex standard .60 mm guitar pick. And I'm going for a drop d tuning sound. I think I have Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound guitar strings. So what do I need for a punk rock sound?
Last edited by cocobeanxx13 at Sep 13, 2014,
$500 in my mind is a sweet spot for guitars, if you're buying used. If you're buying brand new you will probably need to spend $800-$1,000 to get a good one.
You might find this helpful: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Maximum_Energy_The_Gear_of_the_Original_Punks_

Don't go broke looking for gear unless/until you start gigging and you're trying to define your own sound. A lot of those guys used whatever was at hand, and had very simple rigs. Some just used guitars plugged straight into amps.

Decide on HB vs singlecoil- including P90s- find an amp that distorts somewhat at the volumes you expect to play, and plug in. Over time, you may find yourself using something like a flanger or a tremolo pedal, and a MFX pedal would probably do the trick.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Try working with what you have and try some friends guitars try a few out at a shop to see what you like. What do you want more of in your sound specifically.

I am not sure about the pickups in the SG if they are muddy then that might not be close to the sound you want for punk. I think P-90's are the ultimate punk pickup. There are a epiphones and squiers that have them.
I think P-90's are the ultimate punk pickup.

They certainly do bring a lot to the table.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Your amp is the biggest issue, I have a Epi G-400 and all I did was put a SD pickup in the bridge.

Monster cables are not really worth the price, I have used cheap cables for 20+yrs and they work just fine.

I use Dunlop Tortex .60 picks and they work just fine.

Now a new amp would be the best advice and if your on a tight budget a used peavey vypyr 30 ($100) would be your best bet. I'm not big on Epi pickups at all, these GFS Fat Pats would be a deff upgrade and they are not expensive at all www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Zebra-Bridge-Position_p_80.html

But I would suggest you get the Vypyr30 first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What do you mean mini amp?

Where are you located and what is your budget?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the biggest issue is your amp. guitar is fine. for punk try amp settings like 6-7 trebble 3-4 mid - 4-6 bass. gain like 7-8 or put the volume way up with a little gain. cables dont mean shit as far as you need to worry about. I wouldnt buy a mini amp. VOX or a higher quality fender or some other shits might give u better sound. pedals prolly wont help u
guitar picks dont matter. either hit the strings harder or softer whatever u gotta do. earnie ball strings are good.
Quote by cocobeanxx13
Danelectro Honeytone is a mini amp

No that will not get a very good sound at all. The Peavey Vypyr 30 is probably the smallest I would really go. I mean if space or noise really is that big of an issue a used Line 6 POD and a decent set of headphones.
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Pod-XT-Amp-Modeler-Effect-Processor-110401580-i3923974.gc
and these headphones
www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-m-80-mkii-semi-open-studio-headphone

Or this Peavey Vypyr 30 for $75, you really can't beat what you get for that price
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Vypyr-30-1X12-30W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110501452-i3917630.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by cocobeanxx13
Are their any mini amps that can play metal?

Not with a good sound, a POD is as mini as I'd go and that would be with some good phones.

The type of music you like sounds it's best when you play through a 12" speaker. I mean if you have to get a "mini" amp, look at the vypyr 15 or the Nano Vypyr but don't expect anything great only something useable
www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-nano-vypyr-7w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate