Page 1 of 2
I really want an accurate tuner because very small inconsistencies in tuning bug the absolute living shit out of me, but at the same time I don't want to spend $300 on a strobe tuner. any suggestions? thanks.

edit: i use this currently and it is not accurate enough for me http://www.amazon.com/Korg-TM50BK-Instrument-Tuner-Metronome/dp/B00923H7MA/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1410666280&sr=1-1
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Last edited by 457undead at Sep 13, 2014,
Pitchblack
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 Pitchblack. You should be able to find one used for about $40
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
will the pitchblack jump back and fourth in pitch like my tuner does currently?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Hell, I bought a new one off ebay for $40. They're not expensive.

No, the Pitchblack tracks very well. I have no problem with mine. It easily performs as well as my full rack Korg DT1 Pro tuner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 13, 2014,
before i buy a new tuner do you think the problem i described is the tuners fault or the guitars fault? thanks btw.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
If it sounds ok into the amp then the problem is the tuner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by chrismendiola
What kind of tuner? A pedal, clip-on, rack, standard tuners like in the link?

pedal or a standard tuner, doesnt really matter

Quote by NakedInTheRain
define breaking the bank.

turbo tuner is the most accurate tuner on the market, and $129.

well I probably would never spend that much money on a tuner, 50 bucks tops would be nice.

edit: why the **** are tuners $600+??? http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-AutoStrobe-490-Strobe-Tuner/dp/B0002F6YKS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1410673951&sr=8-8
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at Sep 14, 2014,
Here's a tip for tuning electric guitar: turn your tone knob all the way down. Cuts the overtones and lets the tuner hear the fundamental much better.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Here's a tip for tuning electric guitar: turn your tone knob all the way down. Cuts the overtones and lets the tuner hear the fundamental much better.

is it better to use harmonics too?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead

well I probably would never spend that much money on a tuner, 50 bucks tops would be nice.

i paid around that for my planet waves strobe tuner on thomann. it's not quite as accurate as the turbo tuner, but it was a lot cheaper (and is probably accurate enough).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can stretch your money get a Boss TU-3, that thing will survive a nuclear blast and the display is very clear
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
I have an older Ibanez LU-20 and it works great, The Korg PB is a great pedal tuner and pretty cheap. I also have a Snark son of snark clip on tuner that I always leave on my guitar and it works great and was $11 new on ebay
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GFS. 40 bucks new
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
GFS. 40 bucks new

I read online that it is not possible to daisy chain with that pedal so no thanks.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
I picked up a used PitchBlack+ for less than a used regular PitchBlack on eBay so include that in your search too.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by 457undead
I read online that it is not possible to daisy chain with that pedal so no thanks.

incorrect. i'm assuming you found that information from this thread? http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/196325-gfs-tuner-quick-review.html

you need to read further through the thread.

What do you mean you can't daisy chain the tuner? What prevents you from doing that?

The Boss and Korg have a voltage input where you plug in your adapter and a seperate voltage output connection where with an extra cable you can use the tuner to power other pedals. The GFS tuner does not have this voltage output.

You could still run it with a 1 spot style setup. I thought that's what you meant.

Yes no problem. I never originally said you can't daisy chain I was trying to explain what the OP was talking about. Just no Vout on the GFS pedal.
??? what? of course you can daisy chain with the GFS. you mean like with a 1 spot or other power supply?

it doesnt not have a seperate voltage output so that you can run a dasiey chain right out of the pedal. but what the heck is the difference? that seems like a huge gimmick to me.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
So now it has come down to the pitchblack vs the GFS, annnnd I have no idea which one to pick
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Isn't the GFS one made by somebody dodgey and rebadged?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 457undead
So now it has come down to the pitchblack vs the GFS, annnnd I have no idea which one to pick

pick the pretty one.

edit: actually, scratch that. TS, both those tuners are exactly as accurate as your current korg tuner. so you're not going to be any happier with either of them.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Sep 15, 2014,
just get the pitchblack. i own three for a reason. one at my studio, one on my other house, and one in my 'gigging bag' (bag that i grab and need not worry because everything is in there).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
well true.

a standard korg 15 buckc tuner is perfectly accurate. its a tuner, its not rocket science. the goal here is that you get a floor tuner, that is bright, wont break, has a HUGE BRIGHT screen, and modes for half steps down, bass, etc.

my GFS does that all perfectly well. it DOES NOT have a voltage out for running the chain out of the pedal. i really dont get why that is needed anyways. you can just run a 1 spot daisey chain without it just fine??? perhaps it changes your cabling and how clean your board is, but really it means about nothing in terms of funtionality. unless the tuner pedal is somehow regulating the current or something.

the korg pitch black is a better tuner. hands down. its a more quality product. ive been using my GFS for 3 years now and its fantastic. i cant really seem to identify what usability or extra features i would get out of the pitch black. if my GFS broke, id probably buy it again.

but if you offered me both free, of course id take the pitch black. GFS = 40 bucks.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
the pitch black is not necessarily that much more expensive. If you get it on a 15 percent off saleyou will get closer, plus you'll get free shipping,then come out quite close to the price of the other ymmv.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
if you're intonation is off, everything will sound out of tune. regarding an open string.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
With the tuner you have now are you using the mic or plugging the guitar into the input?
Quote by Cathbard
Isn't the GFS one made by somebody dodgey and rebadged?

biyang i guess
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 457undead
is it better to use harmonics too?

No. You're trying to tune the fundamental. If the fundamental is at the correct pitch then the harmonics will be as they should; providing the timbre of your instrument. With the tone knob fully open, the harmonics can actually be stronger than the fundamental. The tuner obviously knows to ignore them but you can still help by rolling off the tone.

And yeah I vote turbo tuner but sounds like you're more of a pitchblack guy
Quote by Dave_Mc
biyang i guess

That's what I thought. Korg or Biyang for about the same price? Bit of a no-brainer in my book. The Pitchblack looks like you could drive a truck over it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I hear vertex / TMG are doing a limited collaboration run of custom tuners. Worth a look
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's what I thought. Korg or Biyang for about the same price? Bit of a no-brainer in my book. The Pitchblack looks like you could drive a truck over it.

yeah. if something a bit worse is a fair bit cheaper it might be worth it, depending on your situation. if you can get the known quantity for the same price it doesn't make much sense to take the risk.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pretty much any tuner you can buy today is pretty damn accurate, at least for 99.9% of any one who would use it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use a $10 Snark. I've tuned with that, and then checked my tuning on the crazy, pro-level strobe tuner that my guitar tech friend uses at work. Flawless.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I may be a bit late and this may be too expensive, but the TC Polytune 2 is the best tuner I've ever used. Period. Full stop. The end. Full period.

If you're intent on a pedal tuner, I second this suggestion. Those things are great.
Quote by the_bi99man
If you're intent on a pedal tuner, I second this suggestion. Those things are great.

i am not trying to sound like an ass (but i know i will) "those things are great" does that mean you have had one or used one or owned one, etc.

i have probably between just gigs and open mic's, used a pitchblack 100 times. flawless it no problem.

i am not downing the polytune i was more curious about you're experience with it/

and on a side note, i have heard TC having switch issues never had one, but it that on the tuner too? or mainly the ditto?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Page 1 of 2