I recently purchased a POD HD500 and love it. I now need a speaker for it. Now I live in apartment so that is also to be considered. I have played it thru my Peavey Vypyr but looking for much better than what that has to offer, I even tried it through my Klipsch computer speakers, but need more headroom. I have considered an active PA speaker but when I looked at those they are 800+ watts and me being in an apartment not sure if that is the way to go or not. I have also considered the Tech21 power Engine. Now I do have a EVH 5150-III 1x12 cab but no power amp. So what would you guys suggest?
Look at wedges. Far more practical. You must be looking at FoH speakers. Monitors (we call 'em foldback) are what you should be looking for. Go for a decent brand (JBL, Yamaha, Mackie, etc) with a 12" woofer and at least 100W. Smaller ones tend to be shite.
You can't have too many wedges. Foldback is where venues cut corners, best to be prepared. You can run them really quietly too so that's all bases covered.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm interested in running a Pod HD into powered monitors myself. Do these seem decent enough?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMBR12M
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah that Yamaha is probably pretty good, just considering the price and wattage.

TS, I wouldn't worry about wattage. I have a 1000W (peak, I'm sure) Electro Voice powered wedge, it has no problem being dialed in to whisper or talking volumes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Reckon this powered monitor would be any good for running a POD through?
The fact that it's roughly around the same price as a Behringer kinda makes me wary
http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_auro_d415.htm
Last edited by ambler3 at Sep 14, 2014,
I use an Alto TS115A as a monitor for both my Eleven Rack and my other guitar player's POD HD simultaneously. Great speaker for the price. It has a ton of low end and you'll have to tune your patches accordingly, but that's better than having it the other way around. It can stand up vertically, drop into a wedge, even lean back vertically without toppling over. With both the volume control on the POD and the volume control on the speaker, you'll be fine as far as volume goes.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
That Yamaha wedge is passive. You'd need a power amp to go with it.

Good instinct. Samson stuff, while probably a shade ahead of Behringer, isn't a lot better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That Yamaha wedge is passive. You'd need a power amp to go with it.

That's what I get for looking at gear at 4 AM.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by bassmastamitch
I use an Alto TS115A as a monitor for both my Eleven Rack and my other guitar player's POD HD simultaneously. Great speaker for the price. It has a ton of low end and you'll have to tune your patches accordingly, but that's better than having it the other way around. It can stand up vertically, drop into a wedge, even lean back vertically without toppling over. With both the volume control on the POD and the volume control on the speaker, you'll be fine as far as volume goes.

Yeah heard they are decent. But shame i'm on a quite tight budget at the moment. For the moment I think i'll borrow a wedge from college on band practice days, when we need vocals. When I get some more cash to spend, will pick one of them up definitely however.
I was really disappointed by the TS115A. Sounded great, but it was a noisy hissy beast. Even at the lowest volume. Only got worse as I turned it up. I was just unlucky, I guess.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
For my purpose im looking for the highest quality speaker for my hd500x i can spend up to $600 so is the alto still the best choice for an apartment with my $600 budget?
I've never used an Alesis wedge but Alesis stuff is usually a pretty solid choice and at that price it'd be hard to pass up. Nice find.

Look used first though. Wedges often pop up cheap used. You may get lucky and find something really good like JBL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 15, 2014,
I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. They're recording monitors (cue Spambot arriving to tell me that they're not the most accurate recording monitor in existence <G> that have excellent bass (each speaker is powered, about 100W each). I'm using them with a Pod HD, with a Korg Kronos X keyboard, and with other sound sources as well (iPod, etc.). More than enough volume, wide dispersion, huge range (down past 35Hz).

Remember a couple of things:

You're in an apartment. 120 dB isn't in the cards.
PA wedges usually have a fairly narrow output angle. The Rokits and other monitors are designed for good imaging at around 8'.
The Pod HD can output stereo. Two speakers might be better than one.
Recording monitors are designed to be as personality-free as possible (this allows the POD to provide all the "personality."
For me, and maybe some others, i'm not sure if studio monitors will cut it, as I'd most likely be using it for band practice uses in my home rehearsal area. But of course, for those just wanting to practice/record, great idea.

Also yes, judging by what i've generally heard on the net, my money would be on Yamaha HS-7s or something alike
Quote by ambler3
For me, and maybe some others, i'm not sure if studio monitors will cut it, as I'd most likely be using it for band practice uses in my home rehearsal area. But of course, for those just wanting to practice/record, great idea.

Also yes, judging by what i've generally heard on the net, my money would be on Yamaha HS-7s or something alike

What you've "heard on the net" should be considered little more than a starting point. Nothing like actually hearing the things in person.

Since the OP was looking for something for his apartment, the studio monitors will more than cut it at about 108 dB. I'm not using these things anywhere near capacity, and the bottom end on these is deep and NOT boomy.

You can use a powered speaker (the Carvin PM15A http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM15A is a great choice with 400W RMS, a 15" LF driver, max SPL 128 dB, $289). These can be used on a speaker stand or as a 60 degree wedge monitor (if you're playing with a drummer, put it on a stand angled toward his head). I don't think they sound as good at lower (apartment) volumes as the studio monitors, though.

And finally, I"ve got 1500W power amps, a set of fEARful 15/6/1s and a pair of fEARless F115s that I use for keys, modeled guitar and/or bass. These are full-range cabs that can handle 900W each. Usually a single cabinet is more than sufficient, but outdoor gigs sometimes demand more.