Hi. I'm relatively new here on UG and this is my first forum post.

I have space for one more pedal on my pedal-board. The problem is that I can't decide what I should get and I can only afford to choose 1 of the following: an MXR Phase 90 (not sure if I want Script or EVH), a Tube-screamer style overdrive, or a compressor.

Here's a run-down of my rig as it is right now:

Fulltone Ultimate Octave -> Boss LS-2 Line Selector (w/ Korg Pitchblack Portable) -> Crybaby -> MXR Distortion + -> Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble => Marshall DSL40C

Marshall DSL40C Effects Loop:
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter -> MXR Analog Chorus -> Boss BF-2 Flanger -> Boss TR-2 Tremolo -> TC Electronic Flashback Delay & Looper

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
that all depends, what type of music do you play?
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Reverb?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
do you like the distortion +?

do you like the boss phaser?

also what music do you play, as 457 asked?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Tubescreamer-style OD is always useful.

But if you don't know which of those you need, you definitely don't need any of them.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
But if you don't know which of those you need, you definitely don't need any of them.

+ several.

Save your money.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Wow, this is more responses than I was expecting.

I mostly play rock (hard rock/early metal/blues rock), but the type of gigs I play and the band I'm in talks with joining sometimes require other stuff from genres like jazz, country, funk, etc.

I had a reverb pedal, the TC Electronic Hall of Fame Mini, but it had a problem with it so I got rid of it. I've decided to just use the amp's reverb. I'm not much of a reverb guy anyway.

Yes, I like the Distortion + and the Boss Phaser for what I use them for. And that's part of the reason why I'm having trouble deciding what I should get. I'm a big Randy Rhoads fan, which is why I've got the Distortion + in the first place, and I use it the way that most people use their tube-screamers: to push an already over-driven amp. But using a tube-screamer on the classic gain channel of my amp could be beneficial if I wanted a tone that isn't as hi-gain sounding as the ultra gain channel. As for the Boss Phaser, there are things I need that the Boss Phaser can do that the Phase 90 wouldn't be able to pull off. But I'd love to have the Phase 90 because it's analog and will authentically recreate the classic Van Halen stuff.

I guess I'll have to ask the band and see what they think I should get. Thanks for all of your responses.
Quote by BLT333

Yes, I like the Distortion + and the Boss Phaser for what I use them for. And that's part of the reason why I'm having trouble deciding what I should get. I'm a big Randy Rhoads fan, which is why I've got the Distortion + in the first place, and I use it the way that most people use their tube-screamers: to push an already over-driven amp. But using a tube-screamer on the classic gain channel of my amp could be beneficial if I wanted a tone that isn't as hi-gain sounding as the ultra gain channel. As for the Boss Phaser, there are things I need that the Boss Phaser can do that the Phase 90 wouldn't be able to pull off. But I'd love to have the Phase 90 because it's analog and will authentically recreate the classic Van Halen stuff.

Yeah that's sort of what I was getting at. If you need those different flavours of phase and OD then you may well be able to justify them. (LOL "justify", my justification goes as far as "I WANT THEM!!!! ")

It's really up to you

Another option is to maybe get mini versions and maybe you could fit both in- mooer, for example, does a tubescreamer and phase 90 clone- though I haven't tried them, and the prices (based on their pedals I have tried) are a bit dear now, if you ask me. When they were ~£28 they were great (at least, the good ones). Now they're more like double that, if not more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Food for thought: there are pedals out there that people usually use almost exclusively at "full power" and don't think how using them subtly can add flavor as well. Many people might use a distortion, OD or fuzz that is just barely on to add some character, but the same can be done with chorus, rotary, flange, tremolo, and other effects as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
don't make me post that link where min ran about 40 distortion pedals on at once.

i hear eric johnson's going to use it on his next album.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An overdrive is a cornerstone on many guitarists pedalboards. Does everyone NEED one? No. Use whatever works for you. In my opinion though, an overdrive, if you like it, is going to be one of those pedals you are always going use, and use on every board. With the gain low and volume high, and tone (or bass and treble) to taste, it works with almost any amp.

With my Mesa Boogie Mark V, I have 3 channels: clean, low-gain, and high gain. I can use my OD to give me a crunchy clean sound, pushed Marshall-y sound, and a tight rhythm sound. I can have 6 sounds with 1 amp and 1 pedal.

Personally I have never like distortion pedals as I find them to be a 1 sound kind of pedal, and you need them to be used on a fairly clean base tone.

But thats my 2 cents.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

A Zoom MS-50G would be a much better choice than the Digitech iStomp, IMHO.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
A Zoom MS-50G would be a much better choice than the Digitech iStomp, IMHO.

Never used either of them, but they seem pretty versatile.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's the justification that always gets me into trouble lol. Yes, I've looked into the Mooer pedals. As small as they are, I don't think I'd be able to fit 2 of them on my board. And the Line 6 M5 is way too big. I only have room for a Boss/MXR sized pedal basically. I've looked into the Zoom and Digitech pedals as well. Of the 2, I agree with Linkerman that I'd probably go for the Zoom MS-50G over the Digitech iStomp. The only thing that I'm concerned about regarding the Zoom MS-50G is how it sounds. Otherwise, that actually seems like it would be the best solution for me.
A tuner.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Timmy?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by BLT333
The only thing that I'm concerned about regarding the Zoom MS-50G is how it sounds. Otherwise, that actually seems like it would be the best solution for me.

It actually sounds really good.
Of course, there are some effects that aren't that great, but overall it's a nice multi-fx unit. Even the overdrives and distortions, which were usually mediocre or flat-out bad on multi-fx units, are definitely usable.
And the amp+cab modelling sounds great if you want to connect your pedalboard straight to a mixer/P.A.

I got an MS-100BT to use as a "toy", to play around with effects that I don't use often, and I was extremely surprised with its quality.
So surprised that I've already gigged with it replacing an amp on a tiny venue. I went straight to the mixer from my pedalboard (with the MS-100BT in the end of the chain), and used the Fender Deluxe model on it as the clean platform to run my other pedals into.
It earned a permanent spot on my pedalboard.

Just get the MS-50G and download the v2.0 update from the Zoom website and you'll get all the 100 effects of the MS-100BT.
(I hope they release an update for the MS-100BT adding effects, or else I made a bad investment buying the MS-100BT instead of the MS-50G. But at the time, the MS-50G only had 55 effects, so...)
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
When in doubt, get an EQ pedal. That's the most important pedal on my board.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
When in doubt, get an EQ pedal. That's the most important pedal on my board.

MXR 10 BAND is what you want for an eq.

I stand by Timmy too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
MXR 10 BAND is what you want for an eq.

Definitely. I have owned a Boss GE-7 and now an MXR 10-band and the MXR blows it away. Plus the MXR isn't that much more expensive.

To get into a little more detail about EQ pedals -- I don't care what amp somebody has, the tone can always be just a little (or a lot) better. I thought I loved my 6505+ before I bought my MXR. But I found soon after that there were frequency ranges that I don't like (like honky "middle" mids -- I prefer a spike to the upper mids combined with a spike to the lower mids), and I'm able to cut them and boost the frequencies I like. Basically, every amp needs a built-in 10-band EQ. But until then, there's the MXR.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
What about the Source Audio Programmable EQ?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just so everyone knows. I decided to get a Script modded MXR Phase 90 (it also has a nice bright blue LED on it instead of a red one). I had been thinking of getting a cheap BB Preamp clone based upon some of the suggestions that you guys had given me, but I went for the Phase 90 for a few reasons:

1) It's analog. I'm not anti-digital or anything, but I've just gotten to the point where I prefer the idea of having something that's analog since I think they sound better than digital pedals generally speaking and they can easily be modded if absolutely necessary.
2) I'll now have a vintage sounding phase in front of the amp and a more modern sounding phase in the effects loop. And knowing me, not having that option would always be gnawing at me in the back of my mind. :P
3) It's orange. As silly as it may sound, I'm trying to color code the pedals on my pedal-board and that's the color I wanted to use for the last pedal going on the board.

After what dannyalcatraz said, I started thinking that if I absolutely needed a lighter overdrive/crunch tone, I could probably just go to the clean channel of my amp and use the Distortion + on a less extreme setting. I could also use the level mixer on the Boss LS-2 like a boost or even use it in combination with the Distortion +. I already use the Fulltone Ultimate Octave for a multitude of different things as it is so the Boss LS-2 and Distortion + shouldn't be any different. Definitely something to experiment with.
And thanks for all of the replies/suggestions everyone. It was really insightful reading different perspectives/opinions on gear and stuff.
Last edited by BLT333 at Sep 18, 2014,
My gut would tell you to get a TS style overdrive for usefulness, I'd recommend the MXR modified overdrive. Compressors are really handy for good clean tones though, so it's whichever one you'll get the most use out of.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
nice score
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just bought this MXR pedal

http://www.projectmusic.net/mxr-phase-90-10005-p.asp

I think its the same one you were originally asking about.

I would say with the list of pedals you have I would get one of these. I personally find MXR pedals to offer a bit more tone and quality than many others in the sub £ 100 price range.

But I also agree that an EQ pedal is very important. It all of course depends on your personal taste and set up... But I would have no hesitation in recommending the Phase 90.