Hi, i have 3 guitars atm. 2 are gig quality and have floyd rose trems and one is a Yamaha ERG 121 i got free off of my gf. Now then......i have been fancying getting another guitar withough a floyd so i have more options.....but rather than get a 4th guitar i figured i could upgrade the yamaha to make it gig worthy as it has a decent neck and would save buying another new guitar and taking up more room.
I was thinking....Schaller locking tuners......new nut....some dimarzios for pickups (xn2 in bridge and D activator in neck) undecided for the single coil middle so far....change out the pots and jack......maybe a new tremelo or saddles at least. Could make a pretty bad ass guitar with all of that?? Or is it just not worth the hassle??? I know a guy that does wiring and setups etc. Any opinions? Thanks.
The first question you need to ask yourself is what you mean by "gig worthy". Is this your definition of a guitar that you think will be 'good enough to use without problems live' or someone elses?

The next question concerns the areas that need to change about the guitar to make it meet those requirements. It would be a waste of money to just upgrade the things that work, if you don't enjoy doing a lot of upgrades for the sake of doing upgrade (it can certainly be a fun hobby, but considering question the previous question, you have a different goal).

No matter what the guitar costs initially, a favourite well playing instrument is worth as much as any for making music, and upgrades to key areas could really make a difference. If this is the case with this guitar, by all means do what you can to make it even better or to suit your current needs.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Thanks for the reply. Well gig worthy to me means being able to use it as a back up to my main guitars i.e no feed back, tuning stability etc which at the minute i dont believe it can. It definately needs a new jack thats for sure. But pickup wise and tuning wise i doubt it could stand up in a live situation tbh. I have 3 guitars of which i see 2 as being gig worthy. And have an aim to make this one one a good guitar rather than buy a whole new guitar. My band tune to Eb and with my other two guitars having floyd roses i leave them in Eb tuning. Would be great to have this 3rd guitar for alternate tunings etc and a spare live guitar also. Dont really know where to start though.
unless you like the guitar, don't spend the money. If you like the guitar then some upgrades are fine, but don't go crazy on them because you can get some really nice guitars for $300 used that don't need upgrades.

This site has some nice pickups and other hardware that are much cheaper that what your considering and I would advise using them instead because of the price.
www.guitarfetish.com

Their locking tuners are quite good and $36 each
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 14, 2014,
why pay 300 for another guit when you can put it in a guit that is already good to go? you'll have better components than that $300 one from a site/store that will more than likely just have factory components.
Quote by Manovvar
why pay 300 for another guit when you can put it in a guit that is already good to go? you'll have better components than that $300 one from a site/store that will more than likely just have factory components.

Yeah that was my thinking. With sum good tuners, pickups and electronics it could be quite decent.
Quote by Manovvar

For $300 you can get a used PRS SE model, a used LTD 400 series
www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-Singlecut-2-Tone-Sunburst-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110412184-i3931401.gc

www.guitarcenter.com/LTD-Used-LTD-MH330FRFM-Trans-Cherry-Burst-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110359687-i3849495.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I own a Yamaha Pacifica 112 guitar and modified it. Yamaha Guitars are normally super reliable and very well made, even the cheap ones. If the instrument has good tuning stability and plays well, good frets etc... ...which I assume from a Yamaha, change the cheap PUs and you're good to go. I think those inexpensive Yamaha Guitars are some of the best instruments to modify. Good luck man!
Right-wing morons, go suck my d#ck!

Check out my friends' bands...
Unrepentant (melodic death metal) >> YouTube | Soundcloud | facebook
Blutgericht (metalcore) >> YouTube | facebook
Support your local scene!
Yeah frets n neck are in good nick. Body has a couple of dings. It could become a little project for me which I'd enjoy. And if I buy decent parts I could always sell em again in future or put onto another guitar one day.
Its always worth it to invest in guitar upgrades. You will have a custom 1 of a kind guitar and all the fun of diy.