Poll: ...
Poll Options
View poll results: ...
I know what you mean and I agree with it.
22 76%
I don't agree, I need materialism.
0 0%
Damn it Phil, you'll never get your hole if you don't make more bank.
7 24%
Voters: 29.
Page 1 of 2
Has anyone else noticed, as they grew older, that you don't need more than half the shit they try to sell you?

I feel I could be happier and more at peace if I had enough money to cover the basics.

This comes from all the hype that Apple is trying to stir for their products and it reminds me of some little kids I know who are Apple fanatics. I see them begging their parents who are running on financial fumes, picking up credit, for an 600 *insert currency* toy because Timmy at school has that toy as well. But they don't need it, they just feel like they need it, and if they don't get it, they feel bad. Apply that situation to adults who feel they need a nicer car because their neighbour got one, etc.

It's what Buddhism is all about really, remove want to decrease suffering.

Anyone relate to this?
No, I don't relate to that, because ultimate Buddhist thought is crap, because who wants to totally remove all earthly desires, wants, and likes, and then achieve "transcendence" by being entirely empty-headed and without emotions or humanity

BAD THREAD PHILIP
My God, it's full of stars!
Some things I need. Some things I don't need. I don't need Sky, or a hundred pairs of shoes, or seven different coats, or every iteration of a new phone or a TV. However I do need Netflix, about 6 pairs of shoes, maybe 3 coats and jackets, and a smartphone which isn't slow as shit.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Philip can't afford the new iPhone. #prayforphillip
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
Philip can't afford the new iPhone. #prayforphillip

Salmond said he'd give me one if I voted Yes.
But if you vote No, you'll get a devolved android
Quote by ErikLensherr

i want the iphone 6 bc i dropped my current phone and it's all cracked and my front camera doesn't work and no one has iphone 4 chargers anymore and i lost mine last night and my phone is dead so i'm on this godforsaken website to pass the time
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
i want the iphone 6 bc i dropped my current phone and it's all cracked and my front camera doesn't work and no one has iphone 4 chargers anymore and i lost mine last night and my phone is dead so i'm on this godforsaken website to pass the time

but also i like wearing expensive clothes bc it makes me feel good to be the best dressed person in the room
you're a stone fox
Absolutely. This sort of idea also finds itself in a decent amount of my music.

Technology is an addiction. We think things give us happiness, but it's mostly only temporary.

"Greed is a thirst that cannot be quenched, 'cause it isn't water at all, just a mirage, you get there and it's gone, still we always wanna chase it, we want greener and want more, but, is it enough?"

We are addicted to technology. We think new stuff makes us happy, but I've been to many poor places with very happy people, while some wealthier places have people running around all stressed, so that they have more possessions, and cannot have time to be really happy and enjoy themselves.

As time passes mankind develops new technologies. The happiness of mankind does not increase with every passing year. The world was full of people some of which were exceedingly happy and some less, 300 years ago, and it will be the same in 300 years.

"The poor man is not he who has too little, but he who wants more." -Marcus Aurellius.
Quote by Dreadnought
No, I don't relate to that, because ultimate Buddhist thought is crap, because who wants to totally remove all earthly desires, wants, and likes, and then achieve "transcendence" by being entirely empty-headed and without emotions or humanity

BAD THREAD PHILIP

how the hell did you pull that from the thread?

i definitely agree with the idea. i think it's a mixture of how my dad raised me combined with the culture i was raised in. i saw a lot of the bad side of materialism growing up living in a pretty fortunate pocket of suburbs in canada. the lengths some people will go to define their successes through financial gain, to show off their perceived status and how unsustainable some of these practices can be really feel off to me. and my dad raised me with the idea that money isn't the be-all end-all of the world and that there are other things that are far more important. i noticed a lot of people filling gaps in their life with money and honestly i don't want to be that person. the newer the concept of having money is to people the more prevalent this mentality seems to be (not an absolute, just something ive noticed personally).

there is definitely some rampant materialism in my personality and i'm not necessarily proud of that. i hope that as i grow older i can purge these things out and become a better person and as a result of that become a happier person. the nicest people i knew growing up either didn't have a lot of money or despite having money were happy not fretting over it/having all of the nicest things right now.

i would rather give to charity or do a nice thing for someone i care about than buy an 80 inch vs a 70 inch tv. i dont need all of the most expensive clothes or the newest piece of technology to be happy. if you do, to me at least it feels like you are using that thing to try and fill a void.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
how the hell did you pull that from the thread?

it was intentionally tangential. also because I don't like coffeeshop buddhists
The only things I need in life are my waifu and my fleshlight ^___^
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by Dreadnought
it was intentionally tangential. also because I don't like coffeeshop buddhists

nobody does. but i feel that it is a bit unfair to label anyone who feels this way towards materialism as a coffeeshop buddhist and that's sort of how yr post read. hopefully that is not the case and you can understand alternate points of view, especially as a married man.

then again i didn't read enough of phil's post to see the buddhism bit (because honestly who actually reads a phil thread OP)
i don't buy into consumerism but then again i'm not very happy

so maybe they're on to something
All of my possessions (besides my guitar) can comfortably fit into three suitcases.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Has anyone else noticed, as they grew older, that you don't need more than half the shit they try to sell you?

I feel I could be happier and more at peace if I had enough money to cover the basics.

This comes from all the hype that Apple is trying to stir for their products and it reminds me of some little kids I know who are Apple fanatics. I see them begging their parents who are running on financial fumes, picking up credit, for an 600 *insert currency* toy because Timmy at school has that toy as well. But they don't need it, they just feel like they need it, and if they don't get it, they feel bad. Apply that situation to adults who feel they need a nicer car because their neighbour got one, etc.

It's what Buddhism is all about really, remove want to decrease suffering.

Anyone relate to this?

As Justrooster quoted in a totally different thread,

The Fox and the Grapes

One afternoon a fox was walking through the forest and spotted a bunch of grapes hanging from over a lofty branch.

"Just the thing to quench my thirst," quoth he.

Taking a few steps back, the fox jumped and just missed the hanging grapes. Again the fox took a few paces back and tried to reach them but still failed.

Finally, giving up, the fox turned up his nose and said, "They're probably sour anyway," and proceeded to walk away.

It's easy to despise what you cannot have.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 14, 2014,
Because shit parents want their shit kids to fit in with the other shit kids.

I was an introvert as a kid, all I gave a **** about were beyblades and videogames.

That said I own a flip phone that only makes calls, and a PC that does everything else.
90% of everything I do from long distance socializing to videogames and writing music are all done on one device. A phone is for work, emergencies, and call my parents.
Rare case I use my phone to call someone if they don't hear me honking outside their house.

Quote by RylanThePotato
The only things I need in life are my waifu and my fleshlight ^___^

Reminds me I was flipping through ona holes today, I might buy one.
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 14, 2014,
I am a filthy consumerist and want to drown in greed.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by arcanom
read walden if you havent yet.

Ew, no, don't, Thoreau was a phony and a hack and a dork
I'm gonna utilize consumerism to complain about consumerism while enjoying the benefits of consumerism.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I am a filthy consumerist and want to drown in greed.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.
Quote by fingrpikingood
Absolutely. This sort of idea also finds itself in a decent amount of my music.

Technology is an addiction. We think things give us happiness, but it's mostly only temporary.

"Greed is a thirst that cannot be quenched, 'cause it isn't water at all, just a mirage, you get there and it's gone, still we always wanna chase it, we want greener and want more, but, is it enough?"

We are addicted to technology. We think new stuff makes us happy, but I've been to many poor places with very happy people, while some wealthier places have people running around all stressed, so that they have more possessions, and cannot have time to be really happy and enjoy themselves.

As time passes mankind develops new technologies. The happiness of mankind does not increase with every passing year. The world was full of people some of which were exceedingly happy and some less, 300 years ago, and it will be the same in 300 years.

"The poor man is not he who has too little, but he who wants more." -Marcus Aurellius.

Don't tell me what I think
Quote by Rossenrot
I'm gonna utilize consumerism to complain about consumerism while enjoying the benefits of consumerism.

what are the benefits of consumerism?
how does someone without means of production utilize consumerism?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by arcanom
read walden if you havent yet.

I bought Walden last summer at a used book store.

The owner told me that Thoreau actually had his mother do his laundry while he was 'roughing' it at Walden Pond.

I can't provide any sources for this assertion but if it's true it sort of ruins his credibility.

That said I never got around to reading it
Quote by E7#9
I bought Walden last summer at a used book store.

The owner told me that Thoreau actually had his mother do his laundry while he was 'roughing' it at Walden Pond.

I can't provide any sources for this assertion but if it's true it sort of ruins his credibility.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20933_9-famous-thinkers-who-were-total-hypocrites_p2.html

lolz

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Rossenrot

didn't realize we were born with a choice there republican nation.
hey guys ever heard of the ad hominem argument
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Thrashtastic15
didn't realize we were born with a choice there republican nation.

You're free to start a subsistence farm while me and the rest of the SHEEPLE enjoy AC, Starbucks, and designer jeans.
Quote by Rossenrot
You're free to start a subsistence farm while me and the rest of the SHEEPLE enjoy AC, Starbucks, and designer jeans.

Tell you what pal. If you want to play that game, give back the Americas and spew your shit from Europe. I can spew shit too.
Quote by Rossenrot
Gonna keep using your internet and computer to talk shit about people who buy shit.

I'd be perfectly happy to live on this land the way my ancestors did without the internet or iphones.

Shame about yr ancestors genocide tho (((

you want to have a real talk or just spew shit? up2u
Page 1 of 2