I wonder if anyone has experienced a huge difference in playing their instruments standing up as opposed to sitting down. I ask this because even when I have been playing for a couple of years, I never stop feeling it way too hard to play while standing up.

I never seem to find the right height for the guitar so my left hand feels comfortable on the neck; I find myself gripping the neck too hard, and I recently noticed my thumb laying horizontally on the back of it, which results in difficulty to change chords/power chords.

It also becomes really hard for me to play lead guitar when I'm standing, for some reason. Whenever I do, I find it hard for both my left and right hand to adjust comfortably. I wonder if there's anuything I can do to improve this, as I'm tired of feeling I have had my guitar for two weeks.
Last edited by GMx at Sep 14, 2014,
I for one experienced the exact same thing when i first started playing. I think a huge thing that helped me was just as Arron posted: raise the strap. It may take a little while but as long as you keep toying with it youll find that spot that just feels right. Dont get caught up in trying to "look cool" with your guitar slung low. I would start with the strap on its highest setting and work your way down to your "happy place". That sounds dirty but ive found it to be effective. Practice will help loads so dont get discouraged. Dont kill the neck! Your guitar may need to be balanced so that it stays in a playable position even if you let go. You shouldnt have to bear the weight of the guitar as well as play. Too much work! Hope that helps! Cheers!
Never gonna give you up...
Raise the strap, so you get the guitar in the same position as it is when you're sitting down. This should make your problems go away.
playing the cello standing up is hilarious

Quote by Arron_Zacx
Raise the straps or practice playing standing up.

seriously, though, pretty much this
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Every other practice I do standing up, when I am working on a song I am always standing to play it, you will get used to it.
Learn to practice in the "classical position" with the guitar resting on your LEFT leg and the "butt" of the guitar on your right. Make sure you use a foot stool or prop to lift your left leg about 4-8 inches off the ground. If you can practice in this position, then it means you can play in the classical position, the "regular" position, AND while standing up. If you practice in the regular position, then you can only play in the regular position. Other than the initial difficulties of learning to play in this position, there is no good reason NOT to ALWAYS practice in the classical position.

^^I would say +1 to that because I also play in the classical position, but I can't quite bring myself to say that everyone else is doing it 'wrong.'

I've never had good results by playing in the 'standard' position -- because it's not a natural feel and you don't see anybody playing standing up with their guitar neck parallel to the floor. This is, I suspect, why people who play with their guitar on their right leg have so many problems when trying to play standing up -- the positions are totally different.

I actually bought a Flying V-style guitar specifically to be able to play sitting down -- as other guitar designs make the classical position a little harder. With a V, it's the ONLY way to play sitting down.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Sample246
Learn to practice in the "classical position" with the guitar resting on your LEFT leg and the "butt" of the guitar on your right. Make sure you use a foot stool or prop to lift your left leg about 4-8 inches off the ground. If you can practice in this position, then it means you can play in the classical position, the "regular" position, AND while standing up. If you practice in the regular position, then you can only play in the regular position. Other than the initial difficulties of learning to play in this position, there is no good reason NOT to ALWAYS practice in the classical position.

there are a bunch of reasons i can think of off-hand. chief among them being i can't imagine always having a footstool to hand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
there are a bunch of reasons i can think of off-hand. chief among them being i can't imagine always having a footstool to hand.

You really ought to use a footstool even in the regular position, and it's very easy to find something to use in place of one. But I'm assuming most people do their practice routine at home, where I would advise they keep a footstool regardless.
I'm good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would definitely try to spend 70 - 80% of your practice time standing AND adjust the strap in such a way that when you sit, the guitar hangs the same way and still places the weight on your shoulder, not on your leg as when using a foot stool.
I used a foot stool for a long time, but I don´t anymore - that way the guitar always feels the same, places the weight in the same spot and you don´t confuse your muscle memory by having slight changes in your playing position - even tiny changes can make quite a difference.
Hope that helps!
themimicryofshadows.com
Last edited by Derek Steep at Sep 24, 2014,