I'm a self taught guitarist and thus I assume I've missed out on a lot of "proper" techniques. I'm very weak at soloing and things like that.

Currently I am trying to learn Anastasia by Slash and there's 2 measures giving me a lot of trouble.

-----15-13-15-12-15-13-15---|-----15-13-15-12-15-13-15---|
--12------------------------|--12------------------------|
----------------------------|----------------------------|

(sorry for it being unaligned)

I feel like when im trying to use my pink on the 15, my fingers are really cramped up on the frets, but using my ring finger, i can go fast enough.

If anyone can offer some advice or technique on this, or soloing in general it'd be very much appreciated.
i'd use my ring finger there too

i think it's just a matter of practice. as long as you're not doing something wrong, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Watch some videos of professionals and see how they position their playing hand for playing trebles up and down the neck. You're supposed to play the notes with fingertips (close to frets), keep your palm away from the neck and guide your hand up and down the neck with thumb planted on the neck. Watch Satriani, Jeff Loomis and how their style allows them to make quick transitions and gives them quick access to bass and treble strings, quickly/accurately plant chords, etc. Watch some jazz players. Take a few lessons from a good teacher.
Thank you both for the quick replies, i will take a look at some videos and try out different techniques
Well, Slash probably plays it with his ring finger considering he doesn't/barely uses his pinky. I would use ring finger but that's because I've neglected to train my pinky. So just do whichever works for you. For this particular riff, it doesn't matter too much.
Quote by cool09
Watch some videos of professionals and see how they position their playing hand for playing trebles up and down the neck. You're supposed to play the notes with fingertips (close to frets), keep your palm away from the neck and guide your hand up and down the neck with thumb planted on the neck. Watch Satriani

I'd say for that bluesier type of playing you probably want your thumb around the neck and your fingers flatter (i.e. not really the tips).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A common issue with the 4th finger is that, because it's weaker than the others, some people have it 'lock out' when they fret it, i.e. the finger goes straight and the pressure is applied from the wrist instead of having the finger curl like the other fingers. If this is the case for you, try stepping back from the exercise and invest some time correcting this.

... if this doesn't apply to you, let me know!