I'm looking for a les paul I've found a lot but don't know which to buy I thought I wanted coil taps but seems the older models without coil taps call out to me more do I really need coil taps what would u do I'm debating between to a 2010 honeyburst which I like to color and that it's only like AAA top or the 2012 heritage cherry with taps but I really dont care to much for the AAAA top
Go play them and as many more as you can and get the one you like best. Coil taps are cool to have even if you don't use it that often and it is a very easy modification to do whenever. I have coil taps on 2 guitars and I very rarely use the function.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Get a R9 and be done with it.

How can you not like this?

Please use punctuation.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 14, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
Ones with punctuation.

Are you referring to TS or me?

Meme generator doesn't allow for lower case letters.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Are you referring to TS or me?

Meme generator doesn't allow for lower case letters.

Look at the original post.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Get a R9 and be done with it.

How can you not like this?

(Invalid img)

Please use punctuation.

Considering its not a AAAA top nor is it a AAA top I'm sure he'd like it fine.

Nice guitar!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 14, 2014,
Why do you say that?

The reissues are not publicly graded, and are called 'highly flamed' and the like, but they are obviously in the AAA-AAAA range when you compare them to other graded tops.

I'd say mine's a AAA, maybe a +, but I'm not sure.

Here's Gibsons criteria

AA AAA AAA+

Mine doesn't look like a AA which are lightly flamed.

It was just an excuse to post it.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 14, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil

Please use punctuation.

Lol. That's the first thing that went through my mind! Then I thought Epi LPTribute and put the money saved in a savings account.

That's a beautiful guitar btw...
Last edited by OliveG at Sep 14, 2014,
Thanks man!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Epiphone standard with a gold top. Replace the pickups with some nice Duncans. Get a sweet flight case. You still spent a quarter of what a Gibson costs.
If you're going to go ESP at least get the one shaped correctly...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Tom's got me on that one. Better colour too.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Shame the board on that one was drier than Oscar Wilde...

TS the best LP is the one you play that you want.

I found my LP and its turns out its a 40 year old Japanese Les Paul.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
For a few dollars more than a new Trad or Standard you're into a used Custom Shop model. A plain Top R8 or R7 is between 2200-2600 max. The value won't drop much more than that unless you beat it to crap. I've owned 2 Elitists, a 2010 Trad+ , a 50th ANN R0 besides what I have now. If you want the best Les Paul (genuine Gibson) then a good CS model is the ticket if you can afford it. I oly sold the R0 because the neck was 60's slim and I found I prefer 50's round.
Moving on.....
Mate, you need a Bassman or a Plexi with LPs like those!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 15, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
Mate, you need a Bassman or a Plexi with LPs like those!

I have so many tube amps over my 35+ years of playing and to satisfy my demand for many different tones I'd need a slew of tube amplifiers. (a Fender, Marshall, Vox, etc)

I'm actually really happy with my new Blackstar ID:60 TVP (review is pending here).
All I have to do is switch tube emulation settings and the whole character of the amp changes, then the voice selection switch and controls allow me to tweek the tones.

If you closed your eyes you'd be hard pressed to tell it's not a tube amp whetehr playing it or listening to it.

EDIT Review is not pending -Declined for some reason or another.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Sep 16, 2014,
Your choices are limitless, there are so many LPs out there you need to figure out what matters most to you and what will fit your needs the most. I hold les pauls in very high regard and think that most choices will be a fine instrument. Take your time and play as many different ones that you can.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by KenG
I have so many tube amps over my 35+ years of playing and to satisfy my demand for many different tones I'd need a slew of tube amplifiers. (a Fender, Marshall, Vox, etc)

I'm actually really happy with my new Blackstar ID:60 TVP (review is pending here).
All I have to do is switch tube emulation settings and the whole character of the amp changes, then the voice selection switch and controls allow me to tweek the tones.

If you closed your eyes you'd be hard pressed to tell it's not a tube amp whetehr playing it or listening to it.

I dunno man, I'm not a huge fan of Blackstar or digital amps, and I've had and played through quite a few of both. Don't get me wrong, these amps will sound exactly like the amps they're emulating eventually, but not right now.

If I were you I'd go for something like a Kemper. They can be got pretty cheap used these days and they really are hard to differentiate between a real amp. They aren't modellers, they take snapshots of tones, or profiles, that you can use at any time without having the amp. It's almost like a recording of that amp.

Pretty cool.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 16, 2014,
Quote by Tom 1.0
If you're going to go ESP at least get the one shaped correctly...

This made me moist.
Yeah.

I had a pretty epic rig at that moment in time.

ENGl, Esp and EBMM.

**** knows why I gave it up

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Mephaphil
I dunno man, I'm not a huge fan of Blackstar or digital amps, and I've had and played through quite a few of both. Don't get me wrong, these amps will sound exactly like the amps they're emulating eventually, but not right now.

If I were you I'd go for something like a Kemper. They can be got pretty cheap used these days and they really are hard to differentiate between a real amp. They aren't modellers, they take snapshots of tones, or profiles, that you can use at any time without having the amp. It's almost like a recording of that amp.

Pretty cool.

What modelling amps have you tried?
The Kemper is still digital and uses processors to take these snapshots. They may not call it modelling but it's still an analog input then A/D conversion, messing with it in software and D/A convertor and back out the analog path
Moving on.....
You're right it is digital, but it's not the same as an amp sim, that's what I mean.

I've owned: 11R, Kemper, Mustang, Valvetronix. I've used (through practice studios, friends or recording studios) a MGHDFX, Spider IV, a couple of the ID Blackstar stuff and an Axe FX 2.

My ear is used to digital as well as analog. I hear the 'digital' in them. They sound okay, and I even got used to it, until I cranked my Bassman and made it sound inferior. I think they're the future, just not the present.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445