So my guitar is a whole step down right now, so if i was to play this power chord what would the name of it be and how would i find out?

-----------------
----------------
------------------
-------------------
-5--5--------------
-3--3----------------

Because standard tuning would make it an C? thank you
No. If you tuned down one step from E standard, it would be D standard. 3-5-5 would no longer G, it would be F. I've been drinking, but I believe I'm correct lol. If you tuned down one step from drop D it would then be C.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Previously a G5, now an F5. You know because previously it was a 5th chord (the more proper term for powerchord) with the root on G, and now it's a 5th chord with the root on F. You're guitar being a whole step lower means any given note or chord that you recognize is now a whole stop lower.
Quote by Tony Done
OK guys I know this is nitpicking, but since we're talking theory... It's a dyad/double stop, not a chord.

Fair enough.
So an A5 power chord, would make it a G5 since its tuned down a whole step?? Correct?
Quote by Tony Done
OK guys I know this is nitpicking, but since we're talking theory... It's a dyad/double stop, not a chord.

And I continue to nitpick. Even if you do the 3 finger power chord its still only two notes, root and the fifth with only extra octave for the root on top, so no matter how you look at it its still dyad to my understanding of the term. But its still called a Power Chord, be it 2 or 3 finger version. While technically incorrect its called that because its used like a chord. Instead of sad minor or happy major its the commanding sounding chord.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by 75mm
So an A5 power chord, would make it a G5 since its tuned down a whole step?? Correct?

It looks like you've got it, but let me rephrase it with the correct nomenclature and grammar so as not to cause any confusion. When playing an A5 shape in full step down/D standard, the dyad (two notes played together) is a G5.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Sep 15, 2014,