I'm planning on purchasing a new guitar cab but i'm not sure which ones to get.

I'm currently using the H&K Tubemeister 36 Head but i want a new cab (obviously). Preferebally a 4x12. I've looked at a few but i want to make sure i get one compatible with my Head

Laney Ironheart IRT412
Laney GS412
Marshall MG412BCF
Last edited by FabzGuitar at Sep 14, 2014,
I wouldn't get the MG cab.

Any specific reason why a 4x12
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Sep 14, 2014,
Location? Budget?
If it's Europe, get a Harley Benton G212 vintage, dirt cheap 2x12 with v30s. But yeah, I don't know about the GS412, but I expect it ain't great like the others, the IRT cab has s**t speakers, and the Marshall is just s**t over all.
Where are you located and what is your budget? we can find you some great deals on a very nice cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Honestly as long as the Ohmage matches (eg, the ohm output on the head isn't more than on the cab) it's all good, most 4x12s are 16ohm which is pretty high, I have the Laney Ironheart 2x12 and that's pretty good and value for the money
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by 'DC fan
Honestly as long as the Ohmage matches (eg, the ohm output on the head isn't more than on the cab) it's all good, most 4x12s are 16ohm which is pretty high, I have the Laney Ironheart 2x12 and that's pretty good and value for the money

yes impedance is essential.

But IMO speakers have the largest impact on your tone are the speakers followed by the quality of the enclosure
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
avatar or splawn 2x12. quality over quantity, get WGS or whatever is in the splawn or the celestions that come in the avatar. awesome options.

almost nobody but a touring musician has use for a 4x12 today. or a guy playing un-miced. i just was at 2 weeks of guitar festivals. 2 weeks. almost 4 out of 7 days a wee back to back seeing anything from electronica, metal, jack white, gary clark, punk, mastadon. you name it.

there were only 3 bands / groups using 4 x 12s or multiple 4 x12 cabinets.
1. metal bands
2. Fuel (marshall full stack)
3. a band called dead gaze which used a deveille 4x10 and bassman with another 4x10 cab, unmiced in a small intimiate venue....i just about went deaf sitting center stage.

out of about the other 200+ bands i saw, almost everybody was using 2x12 combos / amp variations.

i think if jack white and gary clark and manage, so can anybody else.
____

another note- splawn 2x12 over MG 4x12 ANY DAY. dont spend the money on garbage! MGs are just not great products. its like bugera. it really is a budget product but jeez even bugera makes a cheapo tube amp sound decent. MGs dont even sound good. both companies make crap-tastic cabinets. (marshall MG line....not their USA 1960 style cabs. those are beast).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 15, 2014,
Quote by ikey_
avatar or splawn 2x12. quality over quantity, get WGS or whatever is in the splawn or the celestions that come in the avatar. awesome options.

almost nobody but a touring musician has use for a 4x12 today. or a guy playing un-miced. i just was at 2 weeks of guitar festivals. 2 weeks. almost 4 out of 7 days a wee back to back seeing anything from electronica, metal, jack white, gary clark, punk, mastadon. you name it.

1. metal bands
3. a band called dead gaze which used a deveille 4x10 and bassman with another 4x10 cab, unmiced in a small intimiate venue....i just about went deaf sitting center stage.

out of about the other 200+ bands i saw, almost everybody was using 2x12 combos / amp variations.

____

another note- splawn 2x12 over MG 4x12 ANY DAY. dont spend the money on garbage! MGs are just not great products. its like bugera. it really is a budget product but jeez even bugera makes a cheapo tube amp sound decent. MGs dont even sound good. both companies make crap-tastic cabinets. (marshall MG line....not their USA 1960 style cabs. those are beast).

And the bands not using 4x12's obviously sucked

I have played live for 15+ yrs almost all of that time I have used a 4x12 and never had an issue

PS the real Marshall's are UK not USA have been since the 1960's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ikey_

1. metal bands

____

YMMV, but there is always a use and a preference. i run 4x12"s. i have 2x12" i run too. its not like a 4x12" is much louder than a 2x12" a little bit, but not really a ton, just a bit bigger, not like they aren't as good because they aren't bigger.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Robbgnarly
And the bands not using 4x12's obviously sucked

I have played live for 15+ yrs almost all of that time I have used a 4x12 and never had an issue

PS the real Marshall's are UK not USA have been since the 1960's

+3.1415.

also missed it somewhere, but Splawn's woodworking is top notch, both of my head shells are perfect. no blemishes at all, well built. i can only assume his cabinets are too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I was practicing in my tracking room today and boy cutting that lead with a half stack really worked in a way that my small tube combos didn't. Nothing wrong with 4x12 or 2x12 for that matter - they're both good and serve a purpose. I downsized my gig rig to 2x12 as transporting the big lug became an issue but most of my career I've used half stack and we miked the stacks sideways towards stage left or right respectfully, so as not to blast the audience and let FOH do the job. In gigs with puny monitoring we kept them angled towards the drummer. Big stacks has enough power to handle all situations so if you can get only one cab and transport is not an issue 4x12 is the way to go. You don't have to crank at max.
Hell, I used a 6x12 for a long time. Now I'm using either a 2x12 or 4x12. I'd have used a full stack at times if I had one - and wasn't so short.
You can use anything anywhere if you know what you're doing.

We need to know where you are located and your budget before we can offer any meaningful suggestions. We also need to know what genres you are playing too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm located in the UK, specifically London. My budget at the moment is max £500 for a cab. I just preferred the size of a 4x12. My personal preferance i guess but 2x12 just seems odd shaped. or it could be me. But if you have any sugestions for a 2x12 or even a 4x12, just reply. I guess thats what the community of musicians is for. I just need a cab that runs ok with my TM36H. If you need me to list the settings for the head i can do so.
I don't like straight cabs because you don't have ears in your knees.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I don't like straight cabs because you don't have ears in your knees.

And I like straight cabs because of the little bit of added bass response. But your 100% right on an angle cab being more practical for preformances.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
crickets have ears in their knees

gotta wonder at the wisdom of designing cabs for crickets. not sure that many of them play guitar.

makes more sense than plenty of marshall's other business decisions though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i can count on one had how many times ive seen a full stack on stage. generally its a crap ton of combos all miced up.

most people i see even mix a 1x12 through the PA. just the music i listen to i suppose.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)