Hi guys, I've been bugged into and completed building my stepson a guitar for his birthday, just from one of the kits available and upgraded pickups etc. Trouble is I finished lacquering on the 13th and kids being kids he's decided to come home early, on the 27th, so that doesn't leave much time for curing and assembly.
I reckon I need to assemble it 3 days before he's here to ensure that it's half decently setup and to give me some time to iron out any problems that may occur.

Has anyone any tips to speed up the curing problem? At present all parts are in an uncovered box under the sofa (keeps the dog and kids from damaging it, easy access to turn the body onto the other side daily). I had thought to place some silica gel packs around it, but I'm not sure if it would be any benefit as it's open to the air and secondly if the packs were to be in contact with the paint then may it create blemishes as parts may cure quicker than others?

Any ideas gratefully accepted
"If I didn't know I was a genius, I wouldn't listen to the trash I write."
use a wire clothes hanger and hang the guitar in a area that has decent air flow.

Was it Nitro Lacquer or Acrylic Lacquer? nitro can take a very long time but Acrylic is pretty fast.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Acrylic lacquer, just checked the weather forecast looks like it may be decent for the next few days. I'll try and find a wire coat hanger and hang it outside

Thanks guys
Quote by Floyd Pepper
Acrylic lacquer, just checked the weather forecast looks like it may be decent for the next few days. I'll try and find a wire coat hanger and hang it outside

Thanks guys

I use acrylic lacquer most of the time and I can typically start wet sanding in just a few days, but I typically wait 5-7 days. I live in central Florida on the beach so I deal with massive amounts of humidity which makes paint take longer.

I do paint very thin coats and typically wait 30min-1hr between
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been using Halfords acrylic car paint (and lacquer (Rover Gunmetal)) on a project recently and the lacquer was touch dry within 2 hours and ready for heavy wet sanding after about 5 days indoors, so depending on the thickness of the coats, within a week, you should be okay to at least put it back together.
One small tip is not to leave it in high heat because that will soften the paint further when it's still soft. I know this because I was left with the outline of a cardboard box pressed into the paint on the body I was working on and had to start over. I'm on my third can of paint after all the resprays, so lesson learned lol
Finished polishing and assembled... and scratched the thing putting pick-guard / pups in place, ho-hum. Want to get volume / tone and output surrouds or something similar to the pup switch and a few tweaks to be done. Neck was actually a little loose after painting, was a tight fit prior, not sure whether to glue a sliver of wood in or leave it, any ideas on that?

Posting a pick and saying thanks for the tips.
Cheers all, have a virtual beer on me

Quote by Floyd Pepper
Finished polishing and assembled... and scratched the thing putting pick-guard / pups in place, ho-hum. Want to get volume / tone and output surrouds or something similar to the pup switch and a few tweaks to be done. Neck was actually a little loose after painting, was a tight fit prior, not sure whether to glue a sliver of wood in or leave it, any ideas on that?

Posting a pick and saying thanks for the tips.
Cheers all, have a virtual beer on me

Looks great. You can put shims in the neck to hold it in line. I use thin plastic like credit cards. Another way I have used that works well is to glue (or double-sided adhesive tape) a piece of coarse abrasive paper to the bottom of the neck cavity. The neck is held tightly by friction and won't get bumped out of line accidentally.