When I'm playing power chords, or bar chords I try to keep my thumb straight or just slightly bent toward the tuning pegs. Sometimes I'll look and find my thumb is really bent. Does it matter which direction the thumb is bent or the amount? Especially when my thumb gets lower on the neck it's pretty bent or curved, I'm just confused about it. Any help is appreciated
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Does it cause fatigue in your hand/arm? Does it impede your playing?
If no to both of those questions, don't worry about it. Simple as that.

It's hard to explain, the reason I questioned it is because sometimes I feel Pain in my hand but I'm not sure if it's related to my thumb or my posture in general
I never had any formal training myself, but I've been playing for around 7 years and over those years, I've found what's comfortable for me. It may not be classically correct, but hey, look at Marty Friedman. The way he plays makes him look like he's had his wrists broken, but he can shred like the best of them.
If you can, post a couple of pictures of you naturally holding the guitar so we can see exactly what might be causing the problem.
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Sep 15, 2014,
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I never had any formal training myself, but I've been playing for around 7 years and over those years, I've found what's comfortable for me. It may not be classically correct, but hey, look at Marty Friedman. The way he plays makes him look like he's had his wrists broken, but he can shred like the best of them.
If you can, post a couple of pictures of you naturally holding the guitar so we can see exactly what might be causing the problem.

So this is how it gets sometimes, it's not like this normally but if I'm into a song it just naturally goes to this spot without my notice. It seems like if my hand starts to hurt I look and it's in this position, but I don't know if it's coincidence
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have tried once to play Guitar, but it seems very tough to run fingers on the strings. I just left it and enjoy hearing the music.
Quote by awokenjb3
So this is how it gets sometimes, it's not like this normally but if I'm into a song it just naturally goes to this spot without my notice. It seems like if my hand starts to hurt I look and it's in this position, but I don't know if it's coincidence

I'm no expert on technique or bones or whatever, but that looks like something you definitely shouldn't be doing.
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm no expert on technique or bones or whatever, but that looks like something you definitely shouldn't be doing.

Yeah I know, I've been trying to keep it straight lately I haven't played guitar long maybe about a year, more experienced in piano.
I would recommend changing that. There are no fixed 'rules' but many great players play with the thumb print on the back of the fretboard, point upwards to the ceiling. Obviously the thumb comes over the top when needed for bends and some other situations but this is a good default LH position.

You should NOT experience any pain at all when playing.
Quote by StuartBahn
I would recommend changing that. There are no fixed 'rules' but many great players play with the thumb print on the back of the fretboard, point upwards to the ceiling. Obviously the thumb comes over the top when needed for bends and some other situations but this is a good default LH position.

You should NOT experience any pain at all when playing.

Yeah it doesn't get that bad until it starts turning, my thumb will be slightly bent toward the tuning pegs, but if I start sliding with power hordes like up and down the fretboard my thumb lowers and locks into that curved position. Right now I'm focusing on keeping the thumb straight up toward te ceiling while going up and down with chords