Hey all --

I have an Ableton set up and I love it, so I'm looking to invest in a midi controller. I'm really simply wondering if any button on a midi controller could be mapped to any function in Ableton. To put it another way, each button on a midi controller can contain any command in Ableton. This is regardless of how unintuitive it might be.

For (an extreme) example, if I had a midi drum pad, could I map one of the pads to record and then step on that pad to begin recording, thus creating a bizarre but potentially cheap foot controller?

That's really the main motivation, keeping the costs down. I've found so far that most midi controllers designed to be pedals are more expensive.

Thanks all!
Quote by waspenterprises
I'm really simply wondering if any button on a midi controller could be mapped to any function in Ableton.
Yes.
Any midi controller's button can be mapped to anything in the vast majority of programs.

Ever wondered what the "midi learn" button does?

What do you wanna do exactly anyway?
'cause depending on that you might wanna get different types of midi controllers.

Also do you have a midi to usb/firewire/thunderbolt/sata/pci interface?
'cause you might as well use a controller with only a midi usb output and not a proper midi (5 pin din) output, which is a thing I would avoid if I was you.
If you got yourself something with a common midi output on the other hand you could connect the controller to synthesizers and so on, without having to use computers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Behringer FCB1010 can be found used for under $100. There are 2 right now on GC's used site for $79.