So here's my situation. I'm using some cheap line 6 amp in my dorm room and I've gotten complaints for noise. I don't think I'm playing loudly at all considering that I can hardly hear myself but I want to get some headphones. I want something that is at least a little noise cancelling, under $50.00, comfortable, and the best quality of sound for that price. Any ideas? I've never used headphones with my amp.

EDIT: These headphones will be exclusively used for playing my guitar.
Last edited by Curtis321 at Sep 14, 2014,
Spend more money. At least a bit.

No, seriously. For around $100, you can get headphones that you can mix with and that are the standard of the industry. I'd suggest things like the Sony 7506, AKG 240, BeyerDynamic 770, Sennheiser 280.

Most of what's on the market these days are boombox headphones that have boomy bottom end and shrill top end. If you get the kind that completely cover your ear, you won't have issues with other dorm members making too much noise so that YOU can't hear.
I use a pair of Sony MDR-V6s and they work perfectly well. Dropping the extra 50 bucks will definitely go a long way as dspellman says. But for something alright and well within your price range try looking at the Sennheiser HD 201 or the AKG K-44.
Cheers o/
Have you tried raising your amp up off the floor? If you put it to head height it really makes a difference. Try dropping the bass down too.
Quote by smittyanthrax
Audio Techninca ATH M50x are highly praised.Why dont you check them out?

Because they cost around $170.

Even if you find the older, discontinued model in stock (ATH-M50), the price won't be much less than $130. Given TS's budget, I don't think they're an option.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
K240 mkii (not mki) or ATH-M50 or MDR-7510.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Linkerman
Because they cost around $170.

Even if you find the older, discontinued model in stock (ATH-M50), the price won't be much less than $130. Given TS's budget, I don't think they're an option.

I bought mine, brand new, for $110 and $89

Still over budget, but if you're paying that much for ATH-M50s, you're doin it wrong
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I bought mine, brand new, for $110 and $89

Still over budget, but if you're paying that much for ATH-M50s, you're doin it wrong

I haven't bought them yet, but $130 (ATH-M50) and $170 (ATH-M50x) is what they're going for on Amazon.

Where have you bought yours?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I also like to play along with music and have one ear bud in one ear from the music and another bud in my other ear for my guitar. so like what do I do? lol how do I get it all in one? or would one of those half headphone looking things work?
Based on the way you worded that, it sounds like you are already doing this....so unless you just get some sort of independent headphones with no band on top, you aren't going to be able to split R and L.

If you are talking about an Ipod into your amp's aux input and using headphones out from the amp, you are going to be out of luck as far as I know.

--------------
Actually, this could work with a Y-split cable stereo to mono. You may need various adapters 1/4" to 1/8" depending on what the source size is.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Sep 15, 2014,