My guitar is ESP Eclipse I CTM FT (Mahagony body / Maple top / Mahagony neck / Ebony fretboard, same thickness as LP Custom) with JB/'59 set. I mainly play classic 70's/80s' rock (GNR, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, ZZ Top etc...) through my Yamaha THR 10.

Problem is that JB is sounding very bright / treblish and kinda harsh through my ears. Rolling down tone knob / treble is not really helping either. I like the idea of a hotter bridge pickup (not super hot) so if I replace JB with DiMarzio's Super Distortion will that get rid of brightness/harshness I'm experiencing now?
The SD will be higher output and i believe as it is a clone of the duncan distortion it will be pretty harsh as well. (i have only tried the Dimarzio in the neck of a tele)

The Crunch Lab might be a better choice.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
it may have a higher resistance, but that does not completely relate to output.

The Duncan Distortion is only .2 ohm more but has a much higher output than the JB.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
You should replace Justin Bieber with anything.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Dude the Super Distortion is NOT a Duncan Distortion clone. The Duncan Distoriton is really a tigher, brighter, hotter JB. The Super Distortion has more low end and a flatter high end.

Though to be honest, you will not see a "leaps and bounds" type of difference through your current amp. Try replacing that if applicable.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Dude the Super Distortion is NOT a Duncan Distortion clone. The Duncan Distoriton is really a tigher, brighter, hotter JB. The Super Distortion has more low end and a flatter high end.

Though to be honest, you will not see a "leaps and bounds" type of difference through your current amp. Try replacing that if applicable.

+1

the JB and Duncan Distortion are basically the same pickup with different magnet types. The JB has an Alnico V magnet and the Distortion has a Ceramic magnet. The Super Distortion has a warmer fatter type tone.

I have owned the Super Distortion for 20+ yrs and I have owned a JB for 6-7 they are both decent pickups but do have slightly different sounds.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Maidenheadsteve

I don't need a pickup that will make "leaps and bounds" sound wise. I think JB is way to bright/harsh in my guitar since I believe that is a bright guitar in the first place. I need something that will smooth out that high end and add some fatness to the tone.

So, since Super Distortion won't make any difference (and amp changing is out of the question) what can I do? Get some PAF type bridge, like APH-1 or Pearly Gates?
Quote by loki_lulamen
The SD will be higher output and i believe as it is a clone of the duncan distortion it will be pretty harsh as well. (i have only tried the Dimarzio in the neck of a tele)

The Crunch Lab might be a better choice.

The Super Distortion was on the market before Seymour Duncan were even in business so it's certainly not a clone of the SH6!

The Duncan Distortion is well known for being trebly, the Super Distortion has a fairly balanced tone by comparison. However if fatness and warmth are what you're looking for the The Breed is probably the best fit from Dimarzio's range.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The Super Distortion was on the market before Seymour Duncan were even in business so it's certainly not a clone of the SH6!

My bad...
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I had a Duncan Distortion in my Strat. Didn't really like it. Have a DiMarzio Super Distortion in my Jag & it sounds much better to me. Tighter and less messy with a good bass response.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's funny, I have this same problem with my LP Standard. Sounds FAR too bright in it, I was looking for a good pickup to tame the treble as well..
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I just put a super distortion into one of my guitars. Humbucker to humbucker, there won't be $80 worth of difference.
Quote by Noisembryo
I don't need a pickup that will make "leaps and bounds" sound wise. I think JB is way to bright/harsh in my guitar since I believe that is a bright guitar in the first place. I need something that will smooth out that high end and add some fatness to the tone.

So, since Super Distortion won't make any difference (and amp changing is out of the question) what can I do? Get some PAF type bridge, like APH-1 or Pearly Gates?

Maybe look at the Duncan Custom/Custom it has decent output but it is deff not a bright sound, darker than what you have been looking at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Maybe look at the Duncan Custom/Custom it has decent output but it is deff not a bright sound, darker than what you have been looking at

+1

The Custom Custom (TB-11) is great for a strat type guitar for the reasons Rob mentioned. I recommend it. I replaced a JB in my strat for a TB-11.