I posted a similar thread to this not so long ago, but this one is a bit more specific.

So I was after a multi FX unit with an expression pedal.

Now, more specifically I want one with and expression pedal (with a toe switch), a boost function for soloing, a looper... and foot switch activated tap tempo for delay etc. A

I was looking at two, mainly. The digitech RP500, which seems to have everything... but no boost?! Seems a bit ridiculous to me. Unless I'm mistaken?

Does the RP500 have a boost function?

Then I had a look at the Zoom G5. Which looked great, until I found out that to utilize foot switch activated tap tempo, you need to buy an additional pedal! :-/ Well, out of principal, I instantly dismissed this money making scam.

I don't want to spend more than £200. Is there an alternative?

Cheers.
Get a used HD500.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by rythmking24
Then I had a look at the Zoom G5. Which looked great, until I found out that to utilize foot switch activated tap tempo, you need to buy an additional pedal! :-/ Well, out of principal, I instantly dismissed this money making scam.
Something that does that would either be more expensive or do less stuff for the same money.

Also the vast majority of stuff in this field is overpriced and Zoom's stuff is relatively cheap.

Then, no mfx unit that I know of has an expression pedal with a toe switch.

Also an HD500 doesn't have any looper AFAIK.

If you only want fx, I suggest you looking into the boss gt-100, and yf you also want amps and cabs simulation find yourself an HD500 or HD500x and get an external looper IIRC and the thing doesn't have a built in one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

Also an HD500 doesn't have any looper AFAIK.

If you only want fx, I suggest you looking into the boss gt-100, and yf you also want amps and cabs simulation find yourself an HD500 or HD500x and get an external looper IIRC and the thing doesn't have a built in one.

HD 500 Looper demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KLWcJgbRw
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 15, 2014,
You could probably use the clean side of the Sparkle Drive on the RP to get a clean boost. But you will lose a distortion stomp. Not sure why you think the Zoom toe switch only does tap tempo. However the Zoom uses a switch for tap tempo that is only accessible by hand. The toe switch can be used to toggle a number of different effects. Unfortunately the pedal doesn't switch between volume and the selected effect.

Most multifx with an expression pedal have a toe switch. And yes the HD500 has a looper.
Quote by dspellman
HD 500 Looper demo:
Well I learned something.

So, same thing as before, if ya need amps and cab modeling get a pod.
If you don't, my vote goes to the boss GT-100.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for all the replies.

Hmmm... POD, it would be. If they weren't so damn expensive! Not a fan of used stuff either. I've had some bad experiences in the past.

I'm looking at the Zoom G3x at the moment. What does the the G5 have that the G3 doesn't? I can't see anything significant, comparing the specs. Other than the extra screen, button and tube boost. Which I'm not bothered about.

Also, there's some threads about the G3 not having tap tempo delay. I know it has a tap button on the unit (not foot controlled, but I'd be willing to overlook that to save some money). So what does it control if not delay? Just the drums? Because I won't even be using them.

Does anyone know if their's been a firmware update to address the 'no tap tempo for delay' issue?

Cheers
You could look at a lower model HD, as far as I know the HD400 and HD300 have most everything you need.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by rythmking24
Also, there's some threads about the G3 not having tap tempo delay. I know it has a tap button on the unit (not foot controlled, but I'd be willing to overlook that to save some money). So what does it control if not delay? Just the drums? Because I won't even be using them.

Does anyone know if their's been a firmware update to address the 'no tap tempo for delay' issue?

Cheers
It's confusing because you have to set the delay time setting to a musical note symbol for it to take effect. If you have it set to a time value then it's ignored.
Quote by dementiacaptain
You could look at a lower model HD, as far as I know the HD400 and HD300 have most everything you need.

Um, I wouldn't do that. There are a lot of differences between the HD300, for example, and the HD500, and the HD300s are VERY difficult to resell. Definitely do NOT get the 300 or 400 simply to save a bit of money.

If anything, pick up the Pod HD (bean) if you're not going to be needing a lot of foot pedal (live). It has virtually everything the HD500 has. You can always get an FBV Express or Shortboard later if you DO need foot pedals.
Quote by dspellman
Um, I wouldn't do that. There are a lot of differences between the HD300, for example, and the HD500, and the HD300s are VERY difficult to resell. Definitely do NOT get the 300 or 400 simply to save a bit of money.

If anything, pick up the Pod HD (bean) if you're not going to be needing a lot of foot pedal (live). It has virtually everything the HD500 has. You can always get an FBV Express or Shortboard later if you DO need foot pedals.

Sure, but if a 300 meets his needs I mean I'm not denying the 500 kills the 300, the fact the 300 doesn't have an effects loop makes it a lot less useful of the bat, not to mention it isn't nearly as flexible with setting up the FX chain and no dual-amping, but it checks off the stuff on his list. If his budget absolutely can't budge, I think its a decent option.

Obviously if there is any way to get the 500 though that'd be the way to go.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah, at the risk of being dismissive, the POD HD500 is still about £250 used on ebay. Ideally, I only want to spend half that.

So yeah... like I said before, I've been looking at the Zoom G3x. For the money, it has everything I want. Unless anybody knows a good reason why I shouldn't get one? I'll probably end up with that.

Cheers.
Hmmmm... Ok, actually, you've got me thinking about the POD HD (Desktop, because the HD500X is too expensive) VS the Zoom GX3.

I also already own the FBV Express pedal. But am I going to get the most out of the POD HD with the Express?

Also, the Zoom G3X is less than half the price, but seems to have all the functions of the POD. So why not?

Anyway, I've started a new thread... Zoom G3x VS POD HD...

Cheers.