Hey guys, im a classical guitarist looking to start getting into the jazz genre, so does anyone know any good jazz standards or songs to play on guitar?
There's a few great ones - sorry can't quite remember them now.

The best ones usually work with the ii V I chord progression. So Amin, D7, Gmaj, Dmin7, G7, C then start again.
Depends on what type of jazz.

Some of my favorites though are: Misty, How Deep is the Ocean, Beautiful Love, Stella By Starlight, All The Things You Are, Satin Doll, April In Paris, Night And Day.

I would recommend checking out the following players for solo jazz guitar: Joe Pass, Jody Fisher, Barney Kessel, Erik Söderlind, Larry Koonse, George Van Eps, Kenny Burrell, Royce Campbell, Jonathan Kreisberg and Dave Stryker.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Depends on what type of jazz.

Some of my favorites though are: Misty, How Deep is the Ocean, Beautiful Love, Stella By Starlight, All The Things You Are, Satin Doll, April In Paris, Night And Day.

I would recommend checking out the following players for solo jazz guitar: Joe Pass, Jody Fisher, Barney Kessel, Erik Söderlind, Larry Koonse, George Van Eps, Kenny Burrell, Royce Campbell, Jonathan Kreisberg and Dave Stryker.

Thanks sickz ill definetly check those guys out!
Last edited by Infinitychord95 at Sep 15, 2014,
Quote by Infinitychord95
Thats okay, but if you do remember some it would be very helpful

I'm old and weird - I print out and keep all the songs I like to play in a folder. I'll have a look through later and post what songs I like to play the most.

While jazz comes from blues - I much prefer it than blues. It's more fun and sounds great.
Quote by flaaash
I'm old and weird - I print out and keep all the songs I like to play in a folder. I'll have a look through later and post what songs I like to play the most.

While jazz comes from blues - I much prefer it than blues. It's more fun and sounds great.

Thanks man much appreciated, and yes I also prefer it to the blues
There's the very standard standards like Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, Stella by Starlight, Satin Doll, etc. Pick up a real book for like 600 standard lead sheets.
On Green Dolphin Street and I remember Clifford are my two favourite standards, though neither are very easy to play.
Last edited by Soccerguy at Sep 15, 2014,
As Soccerguy says... A "real book" will give you the lead sheets of dozens of standards.
You can find all these on line as well...There are any number of jazz guitar forums, and an r/jazzguitar section on reddit and all manner of lessons on YouTube from all the greats; Joe Pass and Herb Ellis and Barney Kessell....

I'm working on chord-melody stuff myself; some of the tunes I fool with are "On The Street Where You Live, Georgia On My Mind, Blue Skies, Sunny Side Of The Street, God Bless The Child...
Those are all good recommendations. I would strongly suggest that you find the oldest recorded versions available with a singer. It's important to understand the melodies of these tunes and a lot of people forget that most were songs. It's a lot easier to grasp these if you have the full musical context. The point of going back as far in time as possible is that there are less crazy substitutions etc going on the further back you go - the arrangements are as intended and much simpler to grasp, which is great for a beginner.
Another piece of advice - listen to a lot of jazz. The main issue that I see whenever a classical player approaches jazz, is very rigid timing and feel - you really need to loosen up to play jazz and listen to a lot of it to get familiar with the different feels.

If you want to have your mind blown by what is possible with a classical approach on guitar, check out Lenny Breau - he's incredible and there are some recordings of him on classical guitar ( I had a cd of him ripping it up in a cabin solo - you may be able to find it
I really appreciate all your, and Ill take all your suggestions into consideration, unfortunately I live in a country with zero musical culture and therefore zero jazz books, but ill see if i can buy online and ship here.
Last edited by Infinitychord95 at Sep 15, 2014,
Gershwin and Cole Porter wrote many standards that are still being played today..rich in harmonic and melodic content - great lyrics also..and will most likely be familiar to you..and a lot of jazz players have covered their tunes..ted greene covered many Gershwin tunes..check out his site

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
Gershwin and Cole Porter wrote many standards that are still being played today..rich in harmonic and melodic content - great lyrics also..and will most likely be familiar to you..and a lot of jazz players have covered their tunes..ted greene covered many Gershwin tunes..check out his site

play well

wolf

Thanks dude
Start with the blues and rhythm changes. The real blues too, none of that three chord slacker stuff. (JK)

Grab a real book and start picking out tunes. Pick ones to start with that don't go through many distant keys or breakneck tempos. Like Autumn leaves or All of Me.

Some other tips:

Look into the jazz language and how chromatic lines and altered harmony works, and be able to play over a II-V in all 24 keys.

You need to bring out the changes, so lay off the pentatonic stuff for a while. If the whole band stopped I as the listener should be able to follow the chord progression and tune based off only your solo.

Be warned: The rest of us play Autumn Leaves in Gm. No one does it in the real book key.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Autumn Leaves is the standard by which all jazz standards are judged.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Maybe it's because I'm an Anime fan but my favorite Jazz Standard is "Fly Me To the Moon". It's a beautiful song with a relatively simple yet spacey melody and not too complex chords. It was even featured in "Neon Genesis Envangelion" as the closing theme. You can find it for guitar pretty easily.

Here's the version sung by Rei Ayanami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HQJs8XHpI
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Sep 17, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777
Autumn Leaves is the standard by which all jazz standards are judged.

This is pretty much the first standard anyone learns