hello

this is my first post so hi!

im thinking of buying a seymour duncan humbucker the type that looks like 2 single coil pickups not the metal case ones.

im willing to spend up to $100 aud and was just wondering what you guys think is the best
seymour duncan humbucker for blues with heaps of bottom end?

thanks alot!
What amp, guitar, pedals are you using?

Also there are more than just seymour duncans out there so keep your options open.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Depends on the guitar and amp you're currently using. Also what is your brand of blues.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 15, 2014,
i have a yamaha RGX 112and a very crappy 15 watt practice amp. i need a new amp too but i want to start with a humbucker i LOVE Hendrix so any pedal that emulates Red House to any degree is good.

thanks!
hendrix mainly used single coils- you realise that, right?

there are humbuckers which (allegedly) sound closer to single coils when split (e.g. duncan stag mag), but I haven't tried them so don't know how close they get. I'd also be scared your full humbucker tones might suffer...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yes you are right Hendrix mainly used a start with 3 single coils. but i still want a humbucker

there's a place in the Yamaha where a humbucker can go and i was also wondering if those metal framed ones would fit thats why im thinking a humbucker with the 2 single coils together (forgive me for the lack of definitions)

im thinking of getting a big muff pedal and would like a humbucker to go with it but i would also like to play heavy blues as well.

just for knowledge, what would be the best single coil pickup under a hundred bucks for blues. i know im being very broad .
your yamaha seems to be HSH- i.e. two humbuckers and a single coil in the middle. if you're ok with using the middle pickup for hendrix (it won't be ideal as he used all the strat pickups, but better than nothing) that would then give you more leeway with the humbuckers.

hendrix is a fuzz face moreso than a muff, i think.

what exactly do you mean when you say "metal framed humbucker"? do you mean like this?

(the one on the right)

and when you say "like 2 single coils together" do you mean like the one on the left there?

if so, they're both the same except one has a metal cover and the other doesn't. It affects the tone very slightly, but probably not worth worrying about. I'd just go by whichever cosmetics you think would suit your guitar better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks alot Dave!

yes that's what i meant buy metal cover and 2 single coils together

just to correct you, my Yamaha is actually SSH. at the moment i have one single coil in the middle and thats it so that is why i want more pickups.

ok well i want to buy 1 more single and a humbucker. and im aware that i can switch between pickups. I love blues but i really love alternative rock stuff. i think i need to do alot more research on pickups, this is my first attempt at gaining info and advice.
Sadly I think a Duncan humbucker will be a disappointment until you get a decent amp. It's your dough but if it were me and I loved Jimi Red House tone (and I do), I would take that $200 I was thinking of using for a Duncan and a pedal, and buy an amp that already has Jimi in there. Just dial it up and wail.

See if you can hear the Plexi tone in this little dude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LScSEfWaU
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 15, 2014,
Quote by seteven
thanks alot Dave!

yes that's what i meant buy metal cover and 2 single coils together

just to correct you, my Yamaha is actually SSH. at the moment i have one single coil in the middle and thats it so that is why i want more pickups.

ok well i want to buy 1 more single and a humbucker. and im aware that i can switch between pickups. I love blues but i really love alternative rock stuff. i think i need to do alot more research on pickups, this is my first attempt at gaining info and advice.

oh ok if it's HSS then it'll be a lot easier to get hendrix out of it. Just get 60s-style (late 60s, I think? Not certain) strat-style pickups for the middle and neck position and they'll cover hendrix, and then get a medium hot bridge humbucker for those heavier alternative rock tones (4 conductor version so you can split the humbucker).

I agree with tony done, too- the amp is very important.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Just get 60s-style (late 60s, I think? Not certain) strat-style pickups for the middle and neck position and they'll cover hendrix.

I agree with tony done, too- the amp is very important.

+1

&

+1
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?