I'm interested in getting a sound card. But I don't really know how they work and I'm having trouble finding the answer anywhere.

I want to record guitar. Bu how should the chain be?

Guitar > Pedalboard > Sound card?
So it bypasses the amp entirely? But how will the recording sound if there's no real amp?

I have two pedals in my FX loop on the amp, so should the chain be like this:
Guitar > Pedalboard > Amp input > Preamp out > The two pedals > Sound card?

Please help a novice out!

Thanks
You will use the interface to connect your guitar to your computer, then use amp sims to create the sound you desire.

Lots of information about the hardware & software required is in the stickies.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Okay, I see. But can the chain be as in my example? Can it be connected to the sound card from the preamp?
Yes, it can. But you need an interface, not a sound card. An interface contains a sound card, preamp, & a few other things inside it.
^ yeah that would work, though for recording direct guitar that is not ideal 'cause it has got very little headroom and no gain reduction control, so you risk overloading the input section (getting a bad sounding distortion).

To be sure you would need a 2i4, but for the money of a 2i4 you could get yourself much better stuff such as the mackie onyx blackjack or the roland duo capture ex.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Visual382

That is an interface, yes. But I'd recommend the 2i4, because it will handle instrument recording better, especially since you're going to be using pedals and other things. In other words, you won't be recording a "dry" signal, so it's best to get something that handle the voltage better (such as the 2i4).

inb4 Luca comes in and bashes the Scarlett series again

Edit:
And apparently my inb4 was ineffective.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
inb4 Luca comes in and bashes the Scarlett series again

Edit:
And apparently my inb4 was ineffective.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Now I'm even more confused to what I should get, haha.

Both the Onyx and the Roland has 48kHz, while the Focusrite has 96kHz.
I know that 48kHz is CD quality so it's good. But for the same amount of money, wouldn't it be better to get one with 96kHz? What is it exactly that makes the Onyx and the Roland better in your opinion, Luca?
Quote by Visual382
But for the same amount of money, wouldn't it be better to get one with 96kHz?
If everything else was the same, yeah.
That's not the case though.
Quote by Visual382
What is it exactly that makes the Onyx and the Roland better in your opinion, Luca?
Well they sound plain better.

If you wanna have a look at specs though...
Quoting just a couple - the A-weighted AD conversion dynamic range on each input and output of the blackjack is 114dB, while on the 2i4 it's 105dB for the input and 104dB for the output; also the blackjack can properly drive high z headphones - 8mW @ 600ohm, while driving the same headphones the 2i4 would put out around 1.3mW

But the last test you can only do by yourself, with your ears.
If you can't do that, read more spec's and you'll see the blackjack kicks the scarlett series' ass in 9 out of 10 fields.

As for the duo capture ex, they didn't provide the specs last time I checked, though I remember it sounding pretty good for the money.

I would still choose the mackie, but get whatever you can find for less money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
A sound card converts analog information it has received through one of its inputs into digital data by taking precise measurements of an analog sound wave at a rate of thousands of times per second. When the computer wants to make sounds, such as playing a recording you've made, the sound card reproduces analog sound waves from those digital measurements.