Things to do before "COVERS - Week 3": Skip a stone (SONGWRITING - Week 36)

Poll: Best song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best song?
Song 1
0 0%
Song 2
1 8%
Song 3
1 8%
Song 4
1 8%
Song 5
4 31%
Song 6
6 46%
Song 7
0 0%
Voters: 13.

Question: Why would anyone want to know how to skip a stone on a body of water?
Answer: Because why not.

- Pick a stone. You'll want something flat, not too big, not too heavy;

- Hold it around the edge, between your thumb and index finger;

- Throw it. The trick is to pull your wrist back and then flick it forward when you let go (kinda like the flamboyant "Oh stop" motion some girls and gay people do, but sideways instead of up and down). This makes the stone spin;

- The stone should touch the water at a 20º angle;

- Practice practice practice, baby.

Also, "COVERS - Week 3" is next week! SUBMIT YOUR COVERS NOW!

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Krispy kremes" (Faux)

2 - "Syprob.Sero" (MapOfYourHead)

3 - "Smash & Grab" (fLYinGV23)

4 - "Nuclear Weather" (FoOltz)

5 - "cottapin" (whywefight)

6 - "There's no love in you" (Trifonas)

7 - "Once and for All" (sickman411, semiquaver)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is last week's most voted song, from sickman411 and semiquaver, the song "Gate", with 8 votes!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Thursday. The winner of this week's voting will become a mod in our group.

------------------
Oh the face he makes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraqQabax8A

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655726
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Sep 17, 2014,
another bump, probs listen to this tonight after the eagles game when I'm nice and drunk
I think Foltz and I had the longest song so far at nearly ten minutes before, I don't remember any other songs beating that

Faux beat that by nearly five minutes haha
This may have been the last time I made these "Things to do...", I don't think I can find more hacks/things to share (I've stolen most of them from the "Art of Manliness" website )
^and here I was thinking you were improvising all of it
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
^ I wondered how you got all the ideas for the threads

Voted for Trifonas great song
went for song 6. reallllyyy great vibe
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I'm trying man. Actually, I just got new strings for the acoustic... that was the biggest reason for no songs. So im definitely doing cover week.
I may not get my cover done in time after all, I want everything to be as perfect as possible

No Radiohead cover this time
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I may not get my cover done in time after all, I want everything to be as perfect as possible

No Radiohead cover this time

I can retract my cover and submit my Radiohead cover instead
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Sep 17, 2014,
I voted for cottapin. Good stuff from everyone though.

I might actually try to record a cover tonight and participate next week. Just need to find some inspiration for a song. Work is boring atm anyway.
Really nice tunes. For me the best ones were Syprob.sero (aphex twin inspiration?) and cottapin.

Anyway, I'll try to record a cover when I have the time..
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
Lets give these a listen.

___

Krispy kremes

Probably the longest song we have had on here. I think the synth/violin is a little cutting compared to everything else. Could do with more variation, but an interesting idea.

Syprob.Sero

Cool 8 Bit sound. Nice variations on the synth lines. Nice variation all the way through.

Smash & Grab

Such long songs this week. Little quiet on the recording at the start I thought at first but I see that was a dynamic thing. Good guitar playing and drumming but maybe could have been shorter.

Nuclear Weather

Cool to see some heavy stuff, we don't get enough of it. Interesting rhythms. Reminds of Megadeth in places. Fitting lyrics.

cottapin

Nice paced drums. I like the guitars in the background doing the swells. I like the vocals but think you could have been more confident with them in places. Great track overall.

There's no love in you

Reminds me of later Radiohead which is good. Piano and drums are awesome, you got a cool voice as well. Its nice how it starts getting hectic/busy at the end. I'm not a massive fan of the choir parts, the choice of notes is cool but I think it might sound better as a different sound. Awesome stuff.

Once and for All

Interesting one. I really like the minimalist approach to the drums. And the whole song, I think you guys do a lot with using so little.

____

It was a hard choice, but I really dug There's no love in you, so thats what I shall vote for.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Re vocals: its pretty funny you say that though, because I normally on my own songs do the whole song at a low volume and then come back to it and rerecord it but after sending Foltz this track I asked him if I should rerecord it and he just said, ' don't ruin it' haha. I'm kinda torn because when I recorded that song my voice had a timbre I can't really recreate on most days which I kinda like but I really coudve belted out some of the chorus which would've added interest to the song but oh well

I really dug trifonas's song as well
Faux your song is almost perfect, just turn that lead down a bit.

Will crit and vote later.

Edit:
Quote by Trifonas
Really nice tunes. For me the best ones were Syprob.sero (aphex twin inspiration?)

I must prepare for the apex twon homecoming
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Sep 17, 2014,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Faux your song is almost perfect, just turn that lead down a bit.

Thanks man ! I agree!Unfortunately the way it was recorded that is impossible. It was recorded/created by plugging my new keyboard into a mixer along with a mic and running both of those into a boss jamman and then improvising over a loop. Hence its all one track . derppp
Quote by sickman411
I went with Trifonas again. Great stuff. Also, Trifonas, can you make your songs available for download, for the album?

Thanks man. I thought I had already made them. Nevermind, I checked the box now..
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
ah man, too late to vote. Woulda gone with wwf, so no difference anyways. Trifonas had a good one as well.
I have been giving this less attention than I should for the last few weeks, as I have been too busy to record anything. I can't believe nobody voted for Once and for All though, I think it's my favorite sick/semi song yet
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore