Hi All,

I'm Morphitis, a solo heavy rock and metal outfit from the UK. At present my tracks are all instrumental but I plan on finding a vocalist in the not too distant future. A link to my first track is in my signature and I plan on having a theme across all of my tracks.

One of the challenges I have at the moment is trying to create a story or write lyrics for my tracks. Do you guys use any techniques in particular to help you get the ball rolling when it comes to lyrics?

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me or what you use to improve your lyric writing as well as your views on my track.

Many thanks, M
Howdy man,
I know exactly what you're trying to do and for me personally I had a big help from listening to concept albums, especially Coheed and Cambria and the Amory Wars (hence my user name). I've really tried not to copy, but just apply the same style of writing to my band Synesthesia. I'm a drawer and painter as well as guitar player so a lot of my art gets turned into poetry, which becomes songs, which in turn fuels our concept story line.

As far as what to actually write about, its all on what you enjoy. Try to find a genre you really enjoy and READ it. That's one of the biggest helpers is that educated people create more elaborate and deeper stories and lyrics. Look at bands like Iron Maiden where almost all their tracks are based off literature and tell me those songs aren't awesome. Once you're well read on something then you can begin tackling your own story.

Hope this helps man. Good luck.
Also just my quick list of lyric rules that I use personally:

1. Don't rhyme the same word in consecutive lines. If at all possible avoid rhyming the same sound more than twice in a stanza.
2. Use a thesaurus to help you with words that could have a better term for them, but don't use words so big even you don't understand them. Its not cheating to have help.
3. Try to avoid creating lyrics with the same speech pattern. By that I mean throw in a few short lyrics to break up longer lines.
4. Don't force lyrics, that's the worst thing you can do. If you get stuck on an area, take a break and go hum the tune for a while and they'll come to you. Mine always come to me when I'm taking a shower.
5. Avoid profanity. Shouting the F bomb a million times in a song is for middle schoolers.
6. Have fun with it and don't over-think it. It's your song and your story, not anyone else's.

Again, hope this helps.
Last edited by Keyworks Kid at Sep 15, 2014,
i suggest writing about what you know, or what interests you. stick to one theme in your song(and not just a jumble of randomness) and write it as you would a story.

(beginning)an introduction/explanation of how things started or feel, (mid)then work into how you feel about it or explanation of the current situation, (conclusion)what needs to be done, or what you expect or think will/want to happen.

a chorus is more or less the obvious/recurring theme of your song. starting with choruses also makes it easy to build lyrics around. it's how i write most of mine. it either starts as a melody inside my head where i just mumble words to fit inside the melody and then construct actual words, or it starts with a melody/beat of an instrument, to which again, mumble out some words to make it fit. then i add onto it with a more mellowed setting for verses and then add in pre-choruses/bridges. it's a format that works pretty good for me.

if i write a full page of lyrics first, i'll usually stick to a certain time, but not worry right away on the length of the phrasings. those get worked out once i actually start adding music to it. depending on length, i'll either take out or add a word or two, pronounce some differently(even if rhymes are needed, but dont exactly rhyme).

writing lyrics is pretty easy when you write about things you already know. even easier if it's about personal interests, feelings or views.

hope some of that helps. cheers.
Last edited by Manovvar at Sep 15, 2014,
Not completely on topic, but i listened to Seeing in Black and White and it is so kick ass. If or when you find a vocalist, make sure they are phenomenal.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys! I'll see what I can put together

Out of interest, who is everybodies favourite lyricist that you would advise me to look at for ideas on techniques?
Last edited by Morphitis at Sep 16, 2014,