Page 1 of 2
I want my guitar tone to sound like two 747s wrecking into each other at top speed, and then the wreckage rains down upon a third world village.

I'm not trolling. I seriously have no other way to describe what I'm hearing in my head
Distortion > Delay > Reverb > Distortion > Chorus > Distortion > Delay > Distortion > Compressor > Cabinet > wall of amps with a volume rivaling My Bloody Valentine
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm gonna stop you now. You will never have this tone.

Well definitely not with that attitude.
Quote by Alcofuel
Well definitely not with that attitude.

No, you don't get it. Tonechasing is the stupidest thing ever.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, you don't get it. Tonechasing is the stupidest thing ever.

Not really, no.
Maybe you're just boring?
Quote by ifritlsc
Distortion > Delay > Reverb > Distortion > Chorus > Distortion > Delay > Distortion > Compressor > Cabinet > wall of amps with a volume rivaling My Bloody Valentine

No I think I might need more delays
Quote by Alcofuel
Not really, no.
Maybe you're just boring?

No. No. It really is.

Here's why: it never ends. You will never find a perfect tone. There's loads and loads of young, ignorant guitar players who think it's about amps, effects, pedals, etc. What they fail to realize is...it's about your FINGERS!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No. No. It really is.

Here's why: it never ends. You will never find a perfect tone. There's loads and loads of young, ignorant guitar players who think it's about amps, effects, pedals, etc. What they fail to realize is...it's about your FINGERS!

That's the fun of it.
Your fingers are a major factor, sure, but you aren't going to achieve certain tones without tossing certain things into your rig. If you think you will, then you're probably the ignorant one here.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No. No. It really is.

Conceptually figuring out how to get a general sound, even if just on paper, can open you up to so many possibilities for new songs that I can't even put it into words. Especially since OP makes shoegaze and drone such, meaning that yes, pedals are very important.
Quote by ifritlsc
Conceptually figuring out how to get a general sound, even if just on paper, can open you up to so many possibilities for new songs that I can't even put it into words. Especially since OP makes shoegaze and drone such, meaning that yes, pedals are very important.

A general tone isn't "[a] sound like two 747s wrecking into each other at top speed, and then the wreckage rains down upon a third world village." That's a troll post or a an ignorant, young guitarist hoping to find "the perfect tone".

Quote by Alcofuel
That's the fun of it.
Your fingers are a major factor, sure, but you aren't going to achieve certain tones without tossing certain things into your rig. If you think you will, then you're probably the ignorant one here.

You're still not understanding...

Get a good tone with your fingers first, then worry about effects, man.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 15, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
A general tone isn't "[a] sound like two 747s wrecking into each other at top speed, and then the wreckage rains down upon a third world village." That's a troll post or a an ignorant, young guitarist hoping to find "the perfect tone".

Keep the last sentence in mind

>Especially since OP makes shoegaze and drone such, meaning that yes, pedals are very important.
Quote by ifritlsc
Keep the last sentence in mind

>Especially since OP makes shoegaze and drone such, meaning that yes, pedals are very important.

Wow...see above, specifically my edit.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No. No. It really is.

No, you are just boring.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

You're still not understanding...

Get a good tone with your fingers first, then worry about effects, man.

first of all: That's not a fallacious argument at all.
Some of us want the most obnoxious, ear destroying tone we can find. We're kind of like the opposite of people who just want to play 100000 notes a second. We're kind of like cousins that can't get along, so we just give each other dirty looks at gigs or guitar shops.
I do write coherent music and cleaner music as well, but I'm not really here to ask for help with that.

second: I actually haven't worried a ton about effects, tbh. I like seeing what I can do with the minimum amount of things, even if I do love collecting pedals.
You can never have a ridiculous enough setup though.
This is true, you can look it up on the internet.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wow...see above, specifically my edit.

I'm beginning to question whether or not you understood what I said. Shoegaze and drone aren't about getting the tone of your fingers right. They're legitimately about effects and nearly nothing else (okay, maybe that doesn't describe shoegaze, but definitely drone).

Vampire_State here is perfectly accurate. Not everyone wants to be the ~best guitarist there ever was~. This isn't some kid in his mom's basement trying to become Wylde or Hanneman; this is someone trying to make hella weird guitar tones just for fun.

Not everyone shares your same objective with guitar playing (or music in general, really).

in case it's needed, here's some drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1OYn_xGzM and here's some shoegaze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyRfqfEC2s

edit: hyperlinking wasn't working
Last edited by ifritlsc at Sep 15, 2014,
Quote by ifritlsc
>t-t-they don't agree with my opinions! t-they must be trolls!

oh lord

you're just not understanding

it's your fingers man
your phalanges
you, with your phalanges if they are magic enough, can even make amps that have a reputation for their sound staying clean and never breaking up sound like Sunn O)))
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm gonna go bash my head against a wall now...

You people are either trolling or just dumb.

Your mother must love listening to you practice scale runs in your basement all day.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Alcofuel
Calls others dumb

Breaks the thread

I lol'd.

Yeah, sorry Sam, but you're being a dumbass here. In some genres, the effects really play a big role. That has NOTHING to do with your fingers. I can't make my guitar sound like a f*cking oboe with my fingers, but with an effect pedal or two I probably can.
Quote by Elintasokas
Yeah, sorry Sam, but you're being a dumbass here. In some genres, the effects really play a big role. That has NOTHING to do with your fingers. I can't make my guitar sound like a f*cking oboe with my fingers, but with an effect pedal or two I probably can.

Elintasokas, I can blame the other guys in here for not knowing I was taking the piss. But you, man...nah. You couldn't tell?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Elintasokas, I can blame the other guys in here for not knowing I was taking the piss. But you, man...nah. You couldn't tell?

>"i was only pretending to be retarted!"

oh wow
Quote by ifritlsc
>"i was only pretending to be retarted!"

oh wow

Edit:
I'm not sure why the new guys always mouth off so much.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 15, 2014,
This thread is funny.

I like using a 4x10" cab in combo with a 4x12". The 4x10 gives the harsh high gain sounds, while the 4x12 gives that low end punch and growl to the sound.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Honestly, no. lol. You're usually fairly serious in your posts. That might be why.
Quote by Elintasokas
Honestly, no. lol. You're usually fairly serious in your posts. That might be why.

Yeah, but I would have thought the giant Farnsworth captioned pic would have given it away.
Quote by Alcofuel
I want my guitar tone to sound like two 747s wrecking into each other at top speed, and then the wreckage rains down upon a third world village.

I'm not trolling. I seriously have no other way to describe what I'm hearing in my head

It sounds like you just need to get a multi effects pedal and play with it for a while. I had a Boss ME-50 for like a year. After playing around with it for a few weeks I realized that the crazier you get with the effects the less you can do melodically and harmonically - it just sounds like a jumbled mess.

I found that multi effects pedal to be very useful in learning what all the different effects are, how they can be changed, how they sound together, what you like and don't like, etc. The one I had could actually get some decent sounds once I learned how to operate everything. I eventually sold it to a friend (who still uses it and is now in my band) because I got a tube amp with a good distortion and decent cleans and built a couple of pedals, which is all I really need.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I'm not sure why the new guys always mouth off so much.

I've actually lurked for a year or so and made an account to post in this thread.
Quote by ifritlsc
I've actually lurked for a year or so and made an account to post in this thread.

And this makes it better, how?
Guys, I don't think you understand.

I'm really not new to this. (guitar, pedals, etc. ) My tone is already extremely, and intentionally, obnoxious. I just need help making it more obnoxious

My goal is to get on the bill for warped tour and name a song "waterboarding your ears with literal shit" and play it only once, and only there

it will be so loud and terrible that everyone will literally shit and vomit at the same time, and finally the pimple that warped tour will be popped. This will explain why I am wearing a gas mask on stage and have ear protection
Quote by Alcofuel
Guys, I don't think you understand.

I'm really not new to this. (guitar, pedals, etc. ) My tone is already extremely, and intentionally, obnoxious. I just need help making it more obnoxious

My goal is to get on the bill for warped tour and name a song "waterboarding your ears with literal shit" and play it only once, and only there

it will be so loud and terrible that everyone will literally shit and vomit at the same time, and finally the pimple that warped tour will be popped. This will explain why I am wearing a gas mask on stage and have ear protection

Well then, use the crappiest sounding amp you can find, cut some holes in your speakers, turn your gain all the way up, run at least 5 distortion pedals cranked all the way up, plus however many delays, choruses, flangers, phasers, etc. you can get together.
Was Sam being a goofball? Yep.

Was his point a strange generalization? Yes. OF COURSE good tone is important.

His point was extremely valid though. Tone is a means to an end, NOT an end in itself! It's a tool.

Also: The sound you want involves a Bass Big Muff into a guitar synth, running through a circular chain, of four delays, all routed into a bass amp. I'll let you figure out the rest.

Also Also: I can never tell with Sam. All his posts read like a weird combination of genuine concern, sarcasm, and to-the-point-ness. On first glance, he seems like he's offended all the time. He could be mad at me right now!
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Sep 17, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

So you were just trolling??

Skill and technique are vitally important. You can point that out. And having made that point in a single sentence you can go on to actually address the question and not completely derail the thread.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
So you were just trolling??

Yes...

Skill and technique are vitally important. You can point that out. And having made that point in a single sentence you can go on to actually address the question and not completely derail the thread.

That's no fun. Besides which, this thread was basically a troll thread. TS knew he wasn't going to get any serious answers.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Also Also: I can never tell with Sam. All his posts read like a weird combination of genuine concern, sarcasm, and to-the-point-ness. On first glance, he seems like he's offended all the time. He could be mad at me right now!

Nah, I'm usually too relaxed to be mad.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 17, 2014,
Page 1 of 2