Hi guys, I'm sorry if this is already here, I looked but didn't see it.
So, I have an epiphone sg special in cherry. As it happens I love this guitar. I like this guitar more than some of the much more expensive ones I've owned. But I would like to change the neck. So my question is: what would be the best way to go about changing the neck?
As for what I want, I like the neck my sg has. Except for the width. I really want a narrower neck. The thickness is fine. Thicker thinner or the same, it doesn't bother me so much. I like how gibsons Angus young tribute neck feels, but I don't care to pay 2k for a guitar. Besides, I don't really care to have a tribute guitar anyway and I assume that to get a neck that has a nut width of about an inch and a half (which is what I'd like) I'm gonna have to go custom anyway. Speaking of which, if anyone knows a place I could have a new neck made that would be appreciated as well
Thank you for any information or advice you can give
The glue Gibson uses for that joint doesn’t loosen using typical methods (steaming) so you’ll have to find someone who can cut your neck off, chisel out the joint, and replace it. Buying a new instrument will probably be more affordable. Or try to trade it for something you like.
I probably won't trade it.. But if I was going to get another guitar it's that super narrow neck I'd look for. But other than gibsons Angus young sg I don't know of any guitars that have such a narrow neck
Replacing the neck on the epi isn't worth it imo. You might as well save up for another guitar. As for looking for a Gibson with the Angus profile you have to goout and try various SGs since their necks vary from guitar to guitar.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
you can get a really nice neck from www.warmoth.com

But you might do good to look at some used epi G-400's they are a better guitar and run $150-$200 used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You might keep your eyes open for a '70's Gibson SG; those necks were generally 1 9/16ths" wide (compared to 1 11/16" on current versions). That's within 1/16th" of what you're looking for.

Removing the current neck and replacing it will likely cost more than the guitar itself is worth.

It would be more feasible and cheaper to have someone reshape the existing neck and refinish it.
Okay. Well that is understandable. I do realize that at the end of the day my epiphone is still just an epiphone..
So mayhaps I ask a different question. What might be a guitar to look at that would have such a narrow neck and not cost thousands to get? I personally have looked and haven't found any. But maybe I'm looking at the wrong stuff. The narrowest I've found is about 1 5/8 at nut. I'd like a bit smaller than that
So dspellman, you can reshape a guitar neck? I did not know this. Could I reshape my 1 11/16 neck closer to inch and a half? Inch and 9/16 would be good. That's only 12 and a half thousandths wider than an Angus tribute..
Either way this is new information. I didn't know you could reshape a neck. I would have figured it would throw it all out of whack somehow.
Quote by Robbgnarly
you can get a really nice neck from www.warmoth.com

But you might do good to look at some used epi G-400's they are a better guitar and run $150-$200 used.

But if Epiphone doesn't use a Strat or Tele neck pocket, it won't fit.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
But if Epiphone doesn't use a Strat or Tele neck pocket, it won't fit.

That I don't know, but they do offer a SG body and neck so I'm sure it cant be that different and at most would take very little modification. But I think a new guitar is the best answer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 16, 2014,
Quote by Lgarretto
So dspellman, you can reshape a guitar neck? I did not know this. Could I reshape my 1 11/16 neck closer to inch and a half? Inch and 9/16 would be good. That's only 12 and a half thousandths wider than an Angus tribute..
Either way this is new information. I didn't know you could reshape a neck. I would have figured it would throw it all out of whack somehow.

The neck was originally shaped (as would happen with any neck) to its current state, so it can be further shaped. You need to watch out that you don't intrude on the truss rod cavity, but that's about it. If you narrow a neck, you'll lose any binding (I don't think that's an issue with yours) and you'll also shave down the fret ends a bit.

Jimmy Page's Les Paul #1 neck was famously shaved down before he got it (depth-wise, though, not width) from Joe Walsh back in the late '60's.

As mentioned, there are a lot of '70's Gibson necks out there that are 1 9/16ths" wide. I got some heat from friends when I bought the L6S; I have XXL size hands and they were sure I wouldn't be able to play it cleanly.