So, how do you feel knowing that the thriving of the app business comes at the expense of the open web standards? By which I mean that apps are no more than encapsulated little parts of the web to which the whole world is being redirected to spend all its online time in.

It sort of reminds me of the time when I would download software to convert miles to kilometers onto my computer, kind of seems obsolete doesn't it? ("But the conversion goes so much faster! User Experience and other very important things!")

The web was great... trillions of pages of information. Most of human knowledge on your fingertips. It's slowly dying guys, controlled by software giants. Oh and let's not forget them keeping a pretty percentage of the developers' profits

_____
tldr
App new world order threatens the openness and acessibility of the web. Do you care? How do we fight it?

What are your views on Mozilla and Firefox OS? (leverages off open web standards and community management instead of centralized authorization to allow apps to exist and be downloadable)

_____
EXTRA:

Idea for an app: it's called meta-app
It basically allows you to abstract from installing apps in your mobile device, and instead downloads the dinamically whenever you need it. Since most of computation is done on servers and not on your phone, the time difference of operations would be minimal.

Instead of having app noise on your phone you could just access it whenever by inserting an address in your meta-app

</rant>
You know things like calculator and calendar are apps too right? People seem to forget that.
Who gives a shit about small niche sites that looked like shit going away, just use wikipedia and never donate until it goes offline and then we can all go to the library again or something who cares.
^
libraries stink of piss tho

i have an app that lets me play chess on my phone, I'm shit at it, but its pretty cool. I also have an app that replaces the physical buttons on my phone because 3 have stopped working, which is also pretty cool and has saved my phone. some apps are cool

just read the OP properly, wtf are you on about? do you have any idea what you're talking about lol
Last edited by Bladez22 at Sep 16, 2014,
We just need to restrict homeless people from having access to our libraries and that will take care of the smell. Then we need to keep the Jews out to stop them from ear marking pages. And restricting access to the blacks would go a long ways towards preventing damage to the spines of books. And once we prevent the latinos from entering we can ensure that there won't be any stains or smudges on the pages.
I like Google Chrome.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Yes I'm fully aware of what an app is and how it works. I'm also fully aware that businesses are now fleeing to the mobile phone, recreating the solutions they had already built on the web. Only now it' less profits for the developers because no one goes on mobile web instead of apps (when most time they're basically the same, unless it's a really simple game or calculator and such).

Not to mention that Apple shows you want it wants to show you. If they don't like you, you're outie. Also, as soon as someone makes an improvement on one of their products they get shut down (it is literally against the rules to make improvements on apple software)
Quote by kalnoky7
*shit about apps*
EXTRA:

Idea for an app: it's called meta-app

Though read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Web
So you can be a real freedom hipster.

And stop whining, today's much better than yesterday for more reasons that the contrary.

Air conditioning and buildings' thermal insulation used to suck in the '70s.
Now we still can listen to '70s music, though in our homes that we can maintain to fairly high heat for not that much money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

Though read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Web
So you can be a real freedom hipster.

And stop whining, today's much better than yesterday for more reasons that the contrary.

Air conditioning and buildings' thermal insulation used to suck in the '70s.
Now we still can listen to '70s music, though in our homes that we can maintain to fairly high heat for not that much money.

Not being a step backwards doesn't mean it's a step in the right direction... I'm not saying reverting to what it was like is the solution, I'm not saying that at all...

App developers should be moving to include the mobile world in the open web standards, not the other way around... Mozilla has done great work in this with its community, and Firefox OS is definitely a nice step in my opinion.

Why is it cool nowadays to not want to protect what you think is right. I reckon most of you aren't the "what do i care" type
Quote by captainsnazz
the pit was so much better in the good old days

Seriously, can we just rename the pit to this? It's all anyone ever goes on about these days
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Why? Sometimes my steak isnt enough so I like to get a soup and a salad.

Why are they bad?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Alright lemme try and be serious about the topic.

Once, mobile phones weren't able to connect to the internet, and applications like games were already installed on the devices.
Then connecting to the internet to browse the web using phones wasn't common, so they invented a system with which you could install applications on your phones, whether you downloaded them from you computer or from your phone.
Then iPhone's came out and mobile applications got to be called "app's" and they became what they are now.

Thing is, apps as we now know them can do things that web pages can't, and your idea of downloading an app on the fly when you need it defeats one purpose of it.

Say I wanna get a notification whenever my tumblr feed gets updated.
Now I could use an RSS reader, subscribe to my tumblr feed to get notified everytime the thing gets updated, receive a notification by the RSS reader about who know what everytime something happens, check out what the bling is about this time, click on/touch the link for the phone to open the browser and bring me to my tumblr feed page.

Or I could just download the tumblr app, which is free and which avoids me downloading all of the tumblr graphics so I can save bandwidth and which I know what notifies me about and which is pretty light and which is a frontend better than the tumblr mobile website.

So apps help you save time.

Also apps can do things your web page can't do.
Take a picture from a blackberry for example, which you can easily do with the blackberry tumblr app.

I don't really know if there's a blackberry tumblr app but you get my point.

As for the free-ness and open-ness on the web, I don't really see why they would spend resources in a photoshop web page when they could get paid developing a photoshop app in your phone.

I mean, there wouldn't be paid apps, but it's not like they would offer the same content for free if they couldn't sell it through an app store.

Then, to work half fine your app idea would have to work in a VM if ya ask me - installing and uninstalling an android app on the fly on the phone's main system itself (which still is a VM for that matter) wouldn't really take a couple second each time, and making a VM in a VM would make the thing pretty ****ing slow.

That is with android phone - I don't think you can run an iOS virtual machine in an iPhone or iPad, and I also don't think an app could have enough system privileges to install and uninstall apps on apple devices - you would need to pass through the app store, of which another app can't take control, and in that time you would be better off downloading the thing by yourself.

Or even better, downloading if you think you'll need it and keep it there, 'cause in the end that's what apps are for imo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why? Sometimes my steak isnt enough so I like to get a soup and a salad.

Why are they bad?

First argument, congrats

That's a fair point, but the thing is that neither the public nor the developers are moving towards the steak, they're going vegan and fast. The public because of lack of regard for the consequences, the developers because they simply need to follow the public.

However, i gather it would be extremely simple to build apps off the existing web standards. Especially now with html5. I think the bulk of the developers' efforts should be to enhance these standards to meet the mobile user's needs, and not just cater them through giant company's stores because it's easier

To all others: i know what apps are. I'm a developer, hence the rage.... stop thinking about sudoku apps and missing the point
I seriously have no idea what you're trying to argue here. Are you saying that you would prefer to access everything on the web through a browser instead of accessing each site individually through dedicated applications?

Because if so, I disagree. A huge part of the web experience is the interface. A UI designed specifically for each site is much easier to use than trying to make a web browser that's capable of displaying every single web page in a way that's intuitive and easy to read/navigate.

Quote by kalnoky7
App developers should be moving to include the mobile world in the open web standards, not the other way around...

But that's not how the internet works. That's not how it has ever worked. People make things with technology, THEN the standards are created. Rarely has it ever been the other way around.
Quote by Spambot_2
Alright lemme try and be serious about the topic.

Once, mobile phones weren't able to connect to the internet, and applications like games were already installed on the devices.
Then connecting to the internet to browse the web using phones wasn't common, so they invented a system with which you could install applications on your phones, whether you downloaded them from you computer or from your phone.
Then iPhone's came out and mobile applications got to be called "app's" and they became what they are now.

Thing is, apps as we now know them can do things that web pages can't, and your idea of downloading an app on the fly when you need it defeats one purpose of it.

Say I wanna get a notification whenever my tumblr feed gets updated.
Now I could use an RSS reader, subscribe to my tumblr feed to get notified everytime the thing gets updated, receive a notification by the RSS reader about who know what everytime something happens, check out what the bling is about this time, click on/touch the link for the phone to open the browser and bring me to my tumblr feed page.

Or I could just download the tumblr app, which is free and which avoids me downloading all of the tumblr graphics so I can save bandwidth and which I know what notifies me about and which is pretty light and which is a frontend better than the tumblr mobile website.

So apps help you save time.

Also apps can do things your web page can't do.
Take a picture from a blackberry for example, which you can easily do with the blackberry tumblr app.

I don't really know if there's a blackberry tumblr app but you get my point.

As for the free-ness and open-ness on the web, I don't really see why they would spend resources in a photoshop web page when they could get paid developing a photoshop app in your phone.

I mean, there wouldn't be paid apps, but it's not like they would offer the same content for free if they couldn't sell it through an app store.

Then, to work half fine your app idea would have to work in a VM if ya ask me - installing and uninstalling an android app on the fly on the phone's main system itself (which still is a VM for that matter) wouldn't really take a couple second each time, and making a VM in a VM would make the thing pretty ****ing slow.

That is with android phone - I don't think you can run an iOS virtual machine in an iPhone or iPad, and I also don't think an app could have enough system privileges to install and uninstall apps on apple devices - you would need to pass through the app store, of which another app can't take control, and in that time you would be better off downloading the thing by yourself.

Or even better, downloading if you think you'll need it and keep it there, 'cause in the end that's what apps are for imo.

Thanks for seriousing! (seriously)

The app idea was a joke, it was meant to be a browser plain and simple

The thing is that web is getting very solid movement towards media capture (since you brought it up) which is unfortunately passing under the radar on account of no one using the web.

It IS possible to get assynchronous requests without having to leverage off the OS. The problem is that smartphones are not ready to handle those things because it's more profitable for builders to have all apps in their own store. Not only are they not ready, they're not even moving in that direction

I know it's easier to download the tumblr app. But I think the price is a little high
Quote by archangels
I seriously have no idea what you're trying to argue here. Are you saying that you would prefer to access everything on the web through a browser instead of accessing each site individually through dedicated applications?

Because if so, I disagree. A huge part of the web experience is the interface. A UI designed specifically for each site is much easier to use than trying to make a web browser that's capable of displaying every single web page in a way that's intuitive and easy to read/navigate.

But that's not how the internet works. That's not how it has ever worked. People make things with technology, THEN the standards are created. Rarely has it ever been the other way around.

True, I reckon UX would get a sort of chop, though mostly in response time (in my view)

I say this because I think mobile browsers are shit, and should be heavily reconsidered. Is it so inconceivable that instead of a centralized app store you could download the app off the web? without the noise of modern mobile browsers i mean.

Your point about technology coming first and then the standards is very interesting, i hadn't thought of that. But I seriously can't imagine Apple coming out and saying that the app world is now open and free. At least not in the paradigm we're living now, but who knows
Quote by kalnoky7
First argument, congrats

That's a fair point, but the thing is that neither the public nor the developers are moving towards the steak, they're going vegan and fast. The public because of lack of regard for the consequences, the developers because they simply need to follow the public.

To all others: i know what apps are. I'm a developer, hence the rage.... stop thinking about sudoku apps and missing the point

But what can your fancy vegan diet do for me? I don't like chickpeas.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
But what can your fancy vegan diet do for me? I don't like chickpeas.

I'm lost in the metaphor
Quote by kalnoky7
I'm lost in the metaphor

I just wanted the last food related word in.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
This has to be the most pointless and miniscule "problem" complaint I've ever heard.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
This has to be the most pointless and miniscule "problem" complaint I've ever heard.

Continue on not caring about the world around you then

Go pretend that you're too busy thinking about starving children to pay attention to the evolution of technology and its monopolies
Feel free to continue being wrong and a noob without a clue.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Feel free to continue being wrong and a noob without a clue.

Zero arguments